Zanesville High School
|Zanesville High School|
|1701 Blue Avenue
|Established||September 9, 1954|
|School district||Zanesville City School District|
|Website||Zanesville High School|
The first Zanesville High School was built in downtown North 6th Street 1849 and opened its doors in 1855. In 1908, a new Zanesville High School was built across the street and named Lash High School in honor of Superintendent William D. Lash. The fourth version, was opened on September 9, 1954 on Blue Ave. This land was willed by John McIntire for public park/education. At the time of its opening, the Times Recorder said of the $4 million school, "you have to see it to believe it.". Old Lash High became Hancock Jr High until it was torn down in the early 1980s. From 1908 until the early 1980s ZHS was grades 10-12. From the early 1980s until today ZHS holds grades 9-12. The fifth Zanesville High School opened its doors on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 built on the same land as the old ZHS on Blue Ave.
Zanesville High School contains 1,266 students in grades 9-12.
It has a student/teacher ratio of 18 and 97% of its teachers are fully certified.
The student body is 78% White/Non-Hispanic, 18% Black/Non-Hispanic and 3% multiracial with 1% unspecified.
Clubs and activities
Clubs and activities include: Drama Club, Foreign Language, Ski Club and S.A.D.D. Club. The Latin Club is now defunct. It once functioned as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL).
As members of the Ohio High School Athletic Association, the Zanesville Blue Devils sport 14 varsity teams. Most Blue Devil squads compete in Division II, although a few compete in Division I. Zanesville competes in the East Central Ohio League. ZHS sports teams in the following sports: Baseball (Boys), Basketball (Boys and Girls), Cheerleading, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Marching Band, Soccer (Boys and Girls), Softball (Girls), Swimming, Tennis (Boys and Girls), Track, Volleyball (Girls) Wrestling
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Todd Cerney- rock and country musician, composer and producer
- Mark Dantonio - Michigan State University Head Football coach
- Kevin Martin - Sacramento Kings, Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Jay Payton - Georgia Institute of Technology, New York Mets, Colorado Rockies, San Diego Padres, Boston Red Sox, Oakland Athletics, Baltimore Orioles
- Michele Redman - LPGA Professional
- "The History of Zanesville High School". Retrieved 2007-02-05.[dead link]
- "Teachers/Students: Zanesville High School". Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org - June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org - July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- "Zanesville High School Athletics Directory". Archived from the original on 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AAA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D1". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "Kevin Martin". Basketball=Reference.com. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Jay Payton". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved December 21, 2012.