Abeid Amani Karume International Airport
|Abeid Amani Karume International Airport|
|IATA: ZNZ – ICAO: HTZA
– WMO: 63870
|Owner||Government of Zanzibar|
|Operator||Zanzibar Airports Authority|
|Location||Unguja Island, Zanzibar|
|Elevation AMSL||54 ft / 16 m|
|Metric tonnes of cargo||566 (2005)|
Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (IATA: ZNZ, ICAO: HTZA) (Swahili: Uwanja wa Ndege wa Kimataifa wa Abeid Amani Karume) is the main airport in the Zanzibar Archipelago located on Unguja Island. It is about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) south of Zanzibar City, the capital of Zanzibar. It was previously known as Kisauni Airport and Zanzibar International Airport. It was renamed in 2010 in honour of Abeid Amani Karume, the island's first president. The airport has flights to East Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. A new passenger terminal is under construction and is expected to be operational in 2014.
Terminal 1 is active for all landing aircraft. A new shelter on the entrance of the airport has been put in place.
Construction of the second terminal started in January 2011 by the Chinese Beijing Construction Engineering Group. A new apron of 100,000 square metres (1,100,000 sq ft) will replace the existing 21,000 square metres (230,000 sq ft).
The project is estimated to cost about US$70.4 million. On completion, it will have the capacity to serve up to 1.5 million passengers per year.
Airlines and destinations
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta
2. Kenya Airways Cargo (Nairobi, Mombasa)
- Number of flights handled (2005): 14,302
- Passenger Traffic (2005): 418,814
- Cargo handled (2005): 566 tons
A Eurofly Airbus A330-200 had a winglet severely damaged by Precision Air ATR 5H-PWC which was taxiing. The tailfin of the ATR impacted the right-hand wingtip of the Eurofly Airbus. It is not known whether the ATR received bad marshaling instruction which led to the collision. The parking situation in Zanzibar has been extremely chaotic in recent times. The matter will now be investigated by the Tanzanian Civil Aviation Authority.
- "World Airport Traffic Report: 2009", Airports Council International
- Airport information for HTZA from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for ZNZ at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "Zanzibar forms Airports Authority, modernises aviation infrastructure". Business Times (Tanzania). Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Kenya Airways to Resume Zanzibar Service from June 2014". Airline Route. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abeid Amani Karume International Airport.|
- Zanzibar International Airport
- Current weather for Zanzibar / Kisauni, Tanzania (HTZA) at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for ZNZ at Aviation Safety Network