|Developer(s)||University of Michigan and Zattoo Inc.|
Zattoo is an Internet Protocol Television system, with offices located in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and in Zurich, Switzerland. It is available on computer, iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad and runs on the operating systems Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X and Linux.
Zattoo was created to stream the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Switzerland. On 20 April 2007, Zattoo launched in Denmark with ten channels and started piloting in the United Kingdom. On 4 October 2007, Zattoo reached one million registered users in Europe.
On 5 August 2008, Zattoo asked its Spanish users for a €2.40 charge by SMS in order to continue with the service during August and September. In March 2009, Zattoo removed its services from Belgium in an attempt to keep its costs down. Despite this removal of services from Belgium, Zattoo would return if it found a suitable marketing partner.
In May 2009, lawyers for Universal and Warner Bros. instigated legal proceedings against Zattoo claiming that the Swiss website - which rebroadcasts a number of television stations live online - is adding advertising to films that are shown on German TV via its online service. In June 2009, the Linux version of the Zattoo client was silently dropped. No official reason was provided by Zattoo for dropping this version of the client application. In June 2009, UK country manager Alex Guest, left Zattoo to launch TV Pixie.
As of February 2010, a new Linux version of the Zattoo client has been made available, but as before, only in the Deb file format. On 23 April 2010, Zattoo dropped all the BBC channels from their UK channel list, after ongoing pressure from the BBC to remove them. On 15 June 2010, Zattoo dropped ITV1, Channel 4 and Five from their UK channel list, leaving none of the main UK channels; however, ITV's Northern Ireland (UTV) and Scottish (STV) franchises, as well as the Welsh Channel 4 (S4C), remain.
Zattoo services are available from a web browser or dedicated applications. The web product functions with any browser that supports Flash. Smartphone applications are available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone. A Windows 8 application can be downloaded from the Windows Store. Applications also exist for set-top boxes (VideoWeb box), video game consoles (Xbox 360) and connected TVs (recent LG models). Some applications are restricted to specific countries.
The service is currently restricted to Switzerland, Denmark, Spain, Germany, Norway (closed again in 2008), United Kingdom and France, but was in 2007 expected to expand to other European countries, (with Austria and Poland being at the top of that list) then to Canada and the US while adding fee-based channels to its list. It is also designed to only allow specific audiences to watch specific channels, thanks to geolocation of the IP address assigned to the user's computer (hence the restriction to a few countries for the time being).
On 19 December 2009, the Audiovisual Media Services Directive regarding watching TV online from other EU countries came into force. This does not affect Zattoo or other P2PTV providers at all, since the directive only changes the jurisdiction where a country does not allow the reception of a foreign TV channel due to different laws. But the reason why P2PTV channels are not available all over the EU is not that the country of the viewer would not allow it, but that the TV channel itself cannot allow it due to licensing restrictions of the TV programs.
Channels available in Switzerland:
|General Intrest||SRF 1HD, SRF zweiHD, SRF info, 3+, 4+, Das ErsteHD, ZDFHD, joiz, RTL Schweiz, ProSieben Schweiz, SAT.1 Schweiz, VOX Schweiz, RTLHD, ARTEHD, 3satHD, PhoenixHD, Bayerisches FernsehenHD, hr-fernsehen, MDR Fernsehen, NDR FernsehenHD, rbb Fernsehen, SR Fernsehen, SWR FernsehenHD, WDR FernsehenHD, Radio Bremen TV, EinsPlus, tagesschau24, EinsfestivalHD, BR alpha, ZDFinfoHD, ZDFneoHD, ZDFkulturHD|
|Zattoo+||auto motor und sport channel, PLANET, Kinowelt TV, Silverline, Deutsches Musik Fernsehen, FUEL TV, Blue Hustler, RCK.TV|
|Regional Channels||TeleZüri, Tele Top, TeleBärn, TeleBasel, TeleBielingue, Tele M1, Tele 1|
|Erotic||Hustler TV, Daring TV, Visit-X.tv|
|News||Al Jazeera English, Bloomberg Television, CNN International, BBC World News, Sky News, CNBC, Euronews, France 24 (english), France 24 (french), N24, n-tv, Deutsches Anleger Fernsehen, DW-TV|
|Music TV||MTV Switzerland, VIVA Germany, Deluxe Music, iM1|
|Special Interest||Bibel TV, God TV, The Player Channel, Shiva TV, RT Doc, EBRU TV, FTL Deutschland, Collection|
|English||ITVHD, ITV 2, ITV3, ITV 4, BBC One, BBC TwoHD, BBC Three, BBC Four, BBC Parliament, CBeebies, Channel 4, Channel 5, BBC Arabic, E4, Film 4, More 4, S4C|
|French||RTS unHD, RTS deuxHD, TF1HD, M6HD, France 2HD, France 3, France 4, France 5, ARTEHD, TV5 Monde, Rouge TV, W9|
|Italian||RSI LA 1HD, RSI LA 2HD, Canale 5, Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3, Rai Sport 1, Rai Sport 2, Rai News, Italia 1, Rete 4, La 7, RTL 102.5 TV, MTV Italia, DMAX Italia|
|Spanish||TVE Internacional, Canal 24 Horas|
|Bosnian||Hayat Plus, BN-TV, BN-TV Music|
|Croatian||DM Sat, HRT 1|
|Polish||ITVN, TVN 24|
|Turkish||ATV Avrupa, Euro D, Euro Star, Kanal 7, Kral TV, NTV Avrupa, Show Türk|
|Portuguese||TVI Internacional, RTP Internacional, Euronews, Record Internacional|
See also 
- "Zattoo - Peer to Peer IPTV - Schweiz und international" [Zattoo - Peer to Peer IPTV - Switzerland and international] (in German). iptv-anbieter.info. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "About Zattoo". Zattoo. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Zattoo P2P IPTV bringt Internet-TV - Gratisangebot soll im Juli 2006 auf 60 Major Channel ausgeweitet werden" (in German). Retrieved 2011-03-14.
- "Zattoo launches in DK and pilots in UK". Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "1 million users!!!!!". Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "… and here’s Ann Arbor celebrating the big moment". Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "Take the bull by the antennae". Retrieved 2007-06-19.
- "Zattoo launches in Spain (in english)". Retrieved 2009-06-08.[dead link]
- "Carla for Nicolas, Zattoo for the rest of France". Retrieved 2008-01-20.
- "One coffee for Zattoo (in spanish)". Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Live-Streaming TV Platform Zattoo Stops Belgian Service (in english)". Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Zattoo to leave Belgium (in english)". Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- Johnson, Bobbie (2009-05-20). "Hollywood launches action against European TV website (in english)". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Zattoo UK Manager Alex Guest Launches TV Start-Up (in english)". Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "BBC, C4 Going After TV Streamers; Zattoo Removes Streams (in english)". Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- "ITV, C4, Five Also Get Yanked From Zattoo (in english)". Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Happy Birthday Zattoo". Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- Official site
- Interview: Zattoo co-founders (last100.com)
- Presentation at SwiNOG: May 30th 2007
- European Audiovisual Media Services Directive