|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||223 ft (68 m)|
|• Density||342/sq mi (131.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1372084|
Zavalla is a city in Angelina County, Texas, United States. The population was 713 at the 2010 census. The town is named for Lorenzo de Zavala, a Mexican rancher, politician, and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence who served as the first Vice-President of the Republic of Texas.
As of the census of 2000, there were 647 people, 268 households, and 176 families residing in the city. The population density was 306.6 people per square mile (118.4/km²). There were 340 housing units at an average density of 161.1 per square mile (62.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.68% White, 0.46% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.62% from other races, and 1.08% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.01% of the population.
There were 268 households out of which 34.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.1% were married couples living together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.0% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 87.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,806, and the median income for a family was $28,750. Males had a median income of $30,577 versus $20,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,049. About 22.0% of families and 28.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.6% of those under age 18 and 16.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Zavalla is served by the Zavalla Independent School District and home to the Zavalla High School Eagles.
- Zavalla is a featured location in the hit internet video blogging series lonelygirl15.
- Zavalla is also home to ZavallaJack, a 3D cartoon character who made his debut in the spring of 2009 as the lead role in the YouTube video "ZavallaJack the Awakening".
- Zavalla is home to Dustin Ellermann, the Season 3 winner of History's target shooting reality show, Top Shot.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Zavalla city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 9, 2013.