|Municipality of Belgium|
Zaventem Municipal Hall
|• Mayor||Francis Vermeiren (VLD)|
|• Governing party/ies||Open Vld, CD&V/N-VA|
|• Total||27.62 km2 (10.66 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2012)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|Postal codes||1930, 1932, 1933|
Zaventem (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈz̪äːvən̪t̪ɛm]) is a Belgian municipality in the province of Flemish Brabant, one of the ten Belgian provinces, and hand in hand with the province of Walloon Brabant, also the richest province of Belgium. Zaventem houses Brussels Airport, together with neighbouring town Diegem. It is located in het Dijleland, one of the three large recreational areas surrounding Brussels City, together forming the Groene Gordel ("the Green Belt"). The municipality comprises the towns of Nossegem, Sint-Stevens-Woluwe, Sterrebeek and Zaventem proper. On 1 January 2006 Zaventem had a total population of 28,651. The total area is 27.62 square kilometres (10.66 square miles), which gives a population density of 1,037 inhabitants per km².
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2009)|
Brussels Airport is located in this municipality.
The postal code of the municipality is 1930.
Government and infrastructure
The Zaventem Fire Department (Brandweer Zaventem) provides fire protection services.
European Air Transport has its head office in Building 4–5 on the grounds of Brussels Airport and in Zaventem. Belgium's airspace is generally considered to be the busiest and most complex of Europe.
When it existed, Virgin Express had its head office in Building 116 on the grounds of Brussels Airport and in Zaventem. SN Brussels, which formed in 2002, had its head office in Airport Building 117 when it existed. Prior to its disestablishment, Sabena had its head office in the Sabena House in Zaventem. Prior to its disestablishment, Sobelair had its head office in Building 45 on the grounds of the airport and in Zaventem. When Trans European Airways existed, its head office was in Building 117 of Melsbroek Airport. When CityBird existed its head office was in Building 117D in Melsbroek Airport in Zaventem. When Cargo B Airlines existed, its head office was in the Brucargo Building 706 in Zaventem.
Schools in Zaventem include Gemeentelijke (community) as well as catholic primary and secondary schools, and Gemeentelijke Academie voor Muziek, Woord en Dans. Brussels American School (the United States Department of Defense school) is in Zaventem.
Zaventem has a library.
Parks and recreation
Seven parks are located in Zaventem.
Twin towns – Sister cities
Zaventem is twinned with:
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2012 (XLS; 214 KB)
- "Brandweer." Zaventem. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "General Conditions of Carriage." DHL. Retrieved on 27 June 2010. "European Air Transport N.V./S.A., a company registered in Belgium with its business address at Building 4–5, Brussels Airport, 1930 Zaventem, Belgium"
- "'Green' landings at Brussels Airport." . 21 March 2012. Retrieved on 10 July 2012. "The airspace above Belgium is generally considered to be the most complex and busiest of Europe"
- "Contact Us." Ingersoll Rand. Retrieved on 18 January 2011. "Europe Headquarters Alma Court Building Lenneke Marelaan 6 1932 Sint-Stevens-Woluwe Belgium"
- "World Airline Directory." Flight Global. 30 March – 5 April 2004. 92.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 30 March – 5 April 2004. 71.
- Von Schreiber, Sylvia. "Organisierte Pleite." Der Spiegel. 26 November 2001. "Wenige Stunden vorher geschah noch weit Merkwürdigeres: Polizisten der Brüsseler "Aufspürungsbrigade 4" drangen in die Privatwohnungen von vier Managern und in das Firmengebäude Sabena House am Flughafen Zaventem ein."
- "Survey: World Airlines." Flight International. 1–7 April 2003. 74.
- "Contact Us." Sobelair. 5 December 2002. Retrieved on 27 May 2010.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 1 April 1989. 126.
- "CityBird Offices." CityBird. Retrieved on 3 November 1999.
- "cargo b in Belgium." Cargo B Airlines. 18 April 2008. Retrieved on 20 February 2012. "Brucargo Building 706 Box 75 1931 Zaventem, Belgium"
- "Gemeentelijk onderwijs(academy of music, spoken word and dance)." Zaventem. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "Bibliotheek." Zaventem. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "Parken. Zaventem. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "Road sign in Zaventem naming its twin towns". Retrieved 16 March 2010.