|Genres||Bass music, dubstep, drumstep, drum and bass, electro house|
|Years active||2009 – present|
|Labels||Ultra Records, Mad Decent|
Zeds Dead is a Canadian electronic music duo from Toronto, Ontario composed of Dylan Mamid, or DC, and Zach Rapp-Rovan, or Hooks. DC and Hooks have been producing music together since 2004, formerly as Mass Productions. In the summer of 2007, they released one hip hop influenced album as Mass Productions, entitled Fresh Beetz, before launching Zeds Dead in 2009.
The duo are currently signed to the record label, Mad Decent, and have released music on several others; much of their music remains bootlegged, unofficially released, or given away as free downloads. Their name "Zeds Dead" is a reference from a scene in the 1994 Quentin Tarantino film Pulp Fiction.
Zeds Dead explores a diverse variety of genres that amalgamate aspects of electro house, hip-hop, glitch, and drum and bass into their largely dubstep platform. Frequent collaborator, rapper Omar Linx, has worked with the duo on several occasions, producing two EPs together as a trio. Zeds Dead tours in extensive fashion and are significant components of the live music and festival circuits. Their Living Dead Tour, which spanned from February to May 2012, included over seventy performances in the United States and Canada alone.
Zeds Dead played their first live set at The Social in Toronto on June 11, 2009. In September 2010, they founded a weekly party at the Toronto venue "751", called Bassmentality, alongside The Killabits. Bassmentality, which moved to Wrongbar in November 2010, became renowned for hosting the top international talents, and weekly performances from Zeds Dead and The Killabits. Bassmentality was founded in order to be allowed to play the music they wanted without having limits set by club owners.
Kissy Sell Out has called Zeds Dead "the future of genres...flipping genius", and in November 2010, his label "San City High" released the band's first official single, "Rudeboy". A version of "Rudeboy" featuring vocals from Omar LinX, a Toronto-based rapper who has worked on several of Zeds Dead's releases, was put out in March 2011. Zeds Dead's many productions have garnered millions of views on YouTube, topped the charts on Beatport, and earned them the support of the world's top DJs.
Zeds Dead gained international popularity long before their first official release by offering free downloads of their many productions. They continue to do so today. Their first self-released free song was "Journey of a Lifetime", which was offered to fans as a free download in June 2009. Since Journey of a Lifetime, they have self-released nearly 20 productions at no cost. They are a part of a new generation of artists who continuously release free music to the general public and their fans (a technique that was popularized by Radiohead and their 2007 album, In Rainbows).
Kissy Sellout and Skream were two of the first to take notice of the duo, featuring their remix of Blue Foundation's "Eyes on Fire" on their radio shows, on BBC Radio 1 and Rinse FM, respectively. Soon after releasing their remix of Eyes on Fire, Zed's Dead linked up with Dragonette for an official remix of their 2010 release, "Volcano". Zeds Dead's original self-released “1975” was featured in GQ Magazine’s 2010 Video Shoot with Russian Supermodel Irina Shayk.
On October 4, 2010, Zeds Dead released "Rumble in the Jungle" on the popular electronic label Mad Decent. It went on to reach #1 on Beatport's breakbeat chart. The B-side of the 2-track EP entitled "Undah Yuh Skirt" features vocals from Jamaican dancehall singer Mavado. Following "Rumble In The Jungle", Zeds Dead released "Ruckus the Jam" on Steve Aoki's LA-based label, Dim Mak. In 2011, Zeds Dead released "Bassmentality" featuring The Killabits, a track made as a tribute to the friends and fans who were involved in their Toronto weekly party of the same name.
- Zeds Dead began touring in September 2010 in the United Kingdom. They have since returned twice, once to tour with Kissy Sell Out, once independently in summer 2011.
- On December 1, 2010 Zeds Dead began their first official North American Tour, playing over 40 dates throughout Canada and the USA.
- In July 2011 Zeds Dead began the "Rumble in the Jungle Tour" playing summer festivals in North America and the UK.
- Zeds Dead launched "The Graveyard Tour" September, 2011, boasting over 70 dates throughout Canada and the USA.
- Their first Australia and New Zealand tour began in January, 2012.
- In February 2012 Zeds Dead and Omar Linx launched "The Living Dead Tour", bringing opening acts AraabMUZIK, XI, Memorecks, Mat the Alein, and Knight Riderz. The tour boasts over 70 dates in 84 days
- Zeds Dead performed at the "Future Music Festival Asia" in Malaysia on Saturday, March 16, 2013.
- In April of 2013 Zeds Dead performed in Lollapalooza Chile at LG OPTIMUS STAGE.
- On April 29, 2013 Zeds Dead visited the Netherlands for the first time, playing alongside many artists at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam.
- In June of 2013 Zeds Dead are set to perform in Afghanistan alongside Kid Rock & Garth Brooks.
- On September 18th 2013 Zeds Dead are set to begin their Altered States Tour, playing over 30 dates throughout the USA and Canada, bringing opening acts such as Paper Diamond, Branchez & Green Lantern.
- On November 28th, 2013, Zeds Dead performed at "Pumpehuset" in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- On 05.12.2013 they are going to perform at "Klubsen" in Hamburg, Germany.
- On December 13, 2013, Zeds Dead performed at Atlanta's Kingdom Rave X: A Kingdom Christmas.
- On January 23, 2014, Zeds Dead performed at the Y-bar Kalamazoo, Michigan. Bringing opening acts POPSH!T, Biff Tannen, NOWACKATTACK, Event Horizon.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|The Living Dead||—||—||42|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Zeds Dead - Journey of a Lifetime
- Barletta - Panther (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead - Summer Grime
- Fenech-Soler - LA Love (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead - Dark Side Dub
- Radiohead - Pyramid Song (Zeds Dead Illuminati Remix)
- Noob & Brodinski - Peanuts Club (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead ft. Omar Linx - Wakeup
- Foo Fighters - The Pretender (Zeds Dead Ruckus Remix)
- Massive Attack - Paradise Circus (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead - Here Comes The Boom
- The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead ft. Omar LinX - Out For Blood
- Zeds Dead - 1975
- Zeds Dead - White Satin
- Zeds Dead - The Twilight Zone
- Jason Falkner - Only You (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead - Coffee Break (samples Aretha Franklin's cover of Dionne Warwick's I Say a Little Prayer)
- Sabi - Wild Heart (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Dragonette - Volcano (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Jeuce - Kiss (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds dead and the killabits - Bassmentality
- DJ Vadim & The Electric - Toot Toot (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Sebastien Tellier - Divine (Danger Remix) (Zeds Dead ReRemix)
- Zeds Dead ft. Omar LinX - No Prayers
- Zeds Dead ft. Omar LinX - The One
- The Roots - Dear God 2.0 feat. Monsters of Folk (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead ft. Omar LinX - The Living Dead [Ultra]
- Zeds Dead - Trouble [The Living Dead EP]
- Zeds Dead - Rave [The Living Dead EP]
- Zeds Dead - Demons [The Living Dead EP]
- Zeds Dead - Mr. Sub [The Living Dead EP]
- Zeds Dead - Playa [The Living Dead EP]
- Colin Munroe ft. Pusha T- The Fight of My Life (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Household Goods (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Marina and the Diamonds - Lies (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Bon Iver - Woods (Zeds Dead Remix)
- The Prodigy - Breathe (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead - Ratchet
- Zeds Dead - By Your Side
- Nina Simone - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Zeds Dead Remix)
- Zeds Dead ft. Memorecks - Jericho
- Zeds Dead x Greta Svabo Bech - Shut Up & Sing V2.0
- Zeds Dead ft. Major Lazer & Elephant Man - Turn Around
- "Zeds Dead Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 11, 2013.