|Privately held company|
|Founder||Andi Gutmans, Zeev Suraski|
|Headquarters||Ramat Gan, Israel, Cupertino, California,
|Andi Gutmans, CEO
Zeev Suraski, CTO
Stu Schmidt , President
Curt DiSibio, CFO
|Services||PHP Consulting, PHP Training|
Zend Technologies Ltd. is a world wide web infrastructure software company with headquarters in Cupertino, California, U.S., technology center in Ramat Gan, Tel Aviv, Israel and offices in France, Italy and Germany. The company's operations are currently centered on the development of products relating to the development, deployment and management of PHP-based web applications, including Zend Studio.
Zend Technologies was founded by Andi Gutmans and Zeev Suraski who, along with other Israeli graduates of the Technion, developed PHP after its creation by Rasmus Lerdorf. The name Zend is a combination of Suraski's and Gutmans' forenames, Zeev and Andi.
In 1997, Gutmans and Suraski rewrote the parser of PHP-FI, originally written by Lerdorf, resulting in PHP 3. In 1998 they redesigned that parser completely, and named it the Zend Engine. PHP 4 is based on the first version of the Zend Engine.
In 1999, their company Zend Technologies was formally established and received initial funding from Israeli venture capital funds Platinum Neurone Ventures and Walden Israel, an experienced business executive, Doron Gerstel, was recruited to head the company as a CEO.
In July 2004, Zend Technologies raised $8M in a series C funding and established a headquarters in the USA. In January 2005 Intel Capital and SAP ventures joined the existing investors in Zend Technologies.
In June 2006, Zend Technologies received the Best Startup Software Company Award at the Israeli Venture Association Annual Hi Tech Conference in Tel Aviv. The award was presented by Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. In August 2006 Zend raised $20 Million in a series D funding.
In February 2009, Zend's Co-Founder Andi Gutmans was appointed as Chief Executive Officer, after previously serving as the company's VP of Research and Development. Zend also recruited Mark Burton, who previously served as EVP of worldwide sales and alliances at MySQL, as Executive Chairman.http://in2.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.php
Zend Server is a web application server for running and managing PHP applications. Zend Server comes with built-in application monitoring, application problem diagnostics, caching and optimization capabilities and a Web-based administrator console. Zend Server’s installers are native to the OS (RPM/DEB/MSI) and include a tested PHP distribution, Zend Framework, out-of-the-box connectivity to all common databases, Java connectivity, and a scalable and PHP-integrated download server (for Linux only).
Zend Server Community Edition
The community edition of Zend Server was a free, complete PHP stack that is suited for developing PHP applications or running non-critical applications in production. Zend Server Community Edition supported Linux, Windows, iSeries i5/OS, and Mac OS X, and was periodically updated by Zend. Starting with Zend Server 7.0, the free edition was discontinued and is now only available as a paid upgrade.
Zend Platform is a product that runs on a web server, monitoring PHP applications and reporting on performance and possible problems. It also offers a PHP accelerator (often confused with the free Zend Optimizer), a content caching solution including an API for partial page caching, session clustering and numerous management tools. Zend Platform can be used in conjunction with Zend Studio to do remote debugging and profiling of PHP applications in their native server environment.
Zend Guard is a product that can prevent from peeping into PHP scripts.
Zend Certification Test
Zend also provides a PHP Certification Test and certifies people succeeding on the exam as Zend Certified PHP Engineers (ZCE). This is not to be confused with the Zend Framework Certification. It is intended to prove that a person is fully qualified to develop PHP web applications. There are over 10,000 Zend Certified Engineers in the world with either PHP 4 or PHP 5 or PHP 5.3 certifications. To help Zend Certified Engineers gain employment, Zend lists all the persons who have passed the Zend PHP Certification Exam in its directory, Yellow Pages for PHP Professionals. Also, they allow ZCEs to place a ZCE logo on their personal web site/resume.
- PHP Basics
- Object-oriented programming
- Security, including Cross-site scripting (XSS) and SQL injection
- XML and Web Services, including SimpleXML, Xpath, SOAP, and REST
- Strings and patterns, including PCRE
- Databases and SQL and PDO
- Web Features, such as sessions, forms, GET and POST data, cookies, and HTTP headers
- Streams and Network Programming
- Design and Theory
- Php.ini settings
Although these are the Study Guide contents, there are more topics to consider in order to be prepared for the exam, such as use of the new extension PHP Data Object (PDO) layer to access databases, and the Standard PHP Library (SPL), a new set of classes specially created to manipulate objects as sets of arrays or files.
Zend considers the required score to pass the test confidential, as well as the questions themselves. They will inform failing candidates only about the topics that made them fail. It is known that candidates must pass every topic to pass the test as whole, and it is believed that the required score per topic might be about 75-85%.[original research?]
Zend Engine is the heart of PHP, originally written by Andi Gutmans and Zeev Suraski. The first version of Zend Engine was shipped with PHP4. Zend sponsors some developers to actively contribute to the engine, while the main development of Zend Engine today comes from contributors to the PHP project.
Zend Framework is an open-source, object-oriented web application framework written in PHP5 and licensed under the new BSD license.
Simple Cloud API
The Simple Cloud API is an open-source PHP API for accessing services from multiple cloud vendors with configuration changes alone. This project is the first project Zend has launched to facilitate PHP development for the cloud.
Zend Technologies visits events worldwide to spread the OSS message. In 2005, Zeev Suraski delivered a speech at the OSS Technical Seminar organized by the Open Standard Support Organization, Sunwah - PearL Linux and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council.
- "Dynamic Internet developer Zend raising $6m". Globes. 30 December 2002.
- "PHP Leader Enters U.S. Market; Zend Technologies Raises $8M Series C Funding, Establishes U.S. Headquarters". BusinessWire, July 19, 2004.
- "Zend Technologies Announces Strategic Investments by Intel and SAP Ventures". BusinessWire. January 24, 2005.
- "Zend Takes Home Award for Best Israeli Startup Company". 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- "VCs Name Hot Israeli Startups". 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- "Zend Technologies receives $20 Million in Series D Funding". LinuxLinks.com. August 28, 2006.
- "Zend Technologies Co-Founder Andi Gutmans Named Chief Executive Officer". February 03 2009.
- "Zend PHP Certification Information". Zend Technologies. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Marinaccio, Brent, "An In-Depth Look At The Zend Certified Engineer (ZCE) Certification", LinuxWorld Magazine, July 28, 2005
- Martinez, Anne, "Zend Releases Certification for PHP5", Certification Watch Volume 9 #9, July 26, 2006
- Zend Technologies (September 4, 2013). "Zend Announces 10,000th Zend Certified Engineer" (Press release). Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Zend PHP 5 Certification", Zend Technologies
- "Zend Technologies Announces PHP 5 Certification", Business Wire, September 12, 2006