Zendaya at the 16th Annual Friends 'n' Family Pre-Grammy Event, February 8, 2013
|Birth name||Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman|
|Also known as||Zendaya Coleman|
September 1, 1996 |
Oakland, California, U.S.
|Occupations||Actress, singer, dancer|
|Associated acts||Bella Thorne|
Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman (born September 1, 1996), known simply as Zendaya, is an American actress, singer and dancer. She began performing at an early age with the dance group Future Shock Oakland, the California Shakespeare Theater, and as part of her studies at the Oakland School for the Arts and CalShakes Conservatory Program. While still in her early teens, she embarked on her entertainment career, graduating from modeling work for Macy's and Old Navy to appearing in the video for Kidz Bop's version of Katy Perry's hit single "Hot n Cold."
Late in 2009, she auditioned for the Disney Channel series eventually known as Shake It Up, landing the role of Rocky Blue. Several of the songs she performed on the show were released as singles, including 2011's "Watch Me," a duet with her co-star Bella Thorne that charted at number 86 on Billboard's Hot 100. That year, she also released the promotional single "Swag It Out." Zendaya parlayed her Shake It Up success into hosting Make Your Mark: Ultimate Dance Off 2011 and a role in the 2012 Disney Channel original movie Frenemies. That year, more of Zendaya's songs were featured on the second season of Shake It Up and the soundtrack Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance. After signing a deal with Disney imprint Hollywood Records, she began work on her first solo album.
Early in 2013, Zendaya appeared on the 16th season of Dancing with the Stars, becoming the show's youngest contestant. That July, Shake It Up concluded, and in the following months, the book Between U and Me, and her debut album Zendaya arrived. The album's lead single "Replay" was released on July 16, 2013 and was top40 on Billboard Hot 100 and number 18 in New Zealand. Her self-titled album Zendaya was released on September 17, and peaked at 51 on Billboard 200.
Born on September 1, 1996 in Oakland, California to Kazembe Ajamu Coleman and Claire Stoermer, Zendaya grew as a part of the nearby California Shakespeare Theater in Orinda where her mother works as the house manager in addition to training at the theater's student conservatory program. Zendaya has performed in numerous stage productions. Zendaya also helped her mother seat patrons and sell raffle tickets to benefit the theater. While she was attending Oakland School for the Arts she starred as Little Ti Moune in Once on This Island at the Berkeley Playhouse and the breakout role of the male character Joe in Caroline, or Change at Palo Alto's TheaterWorks.
She studied her craft at the CalShakes Conservatory Program and at the American Conservatory Theater. Her other stage credits include Richard III, Twelfth Night, and As You Like It. Zendaya's official site states that her name derives from the word meaning "to give thanks" in Shona (a Bantu language native to the Shona people of Zimbabwe). She also spent three years dancing with her former dance group called Future Shock Oakland. They danced such dances as Hip Hop and Hula.
2009–12: Shake It Up
Zendaya began her professional career working as a fashion model for Macy's, Mervyns and Old Navy. She was featured in an iCarly toys ad along with Stefanie Scott. She also appeared as a back-up dancer in a Sears commercial featuring Disney Channel star Selena Gomez. In 2009, she was a featured performer in the Kidz Bop music video for its cover of the song "Hot n Cold" by Katy Perry, which was released on Kidz Bop 15. She auditioned in November 2009 for the role of CeCe Jones to join the cast of Dance Dance Chicago (later changed to Shake It Up!). For her audition she performed Michael Jackson's "Leave Me Alone".
In 2011 Zendaya released "Swag It Out", a promotional independent single. The song was composed by Bobby Brackins and produced by Glenn A. Foster. She also starred in the book trailer for "From Bad To Cursed" by Katie Alender. In the same year, she released "Watch Me," featuring Bella Thorne, on June 21. The song peaked at sixty three on the Billboard Hot Digital songs, eighty six on the Billboard Hot 100 and number nine on USA Top Heatseekers. The second season of Shake It Up was announced on March 16, 2011 and premiered on September 18, 2011. On June 5, 2011, Shake It Up had a crossover episode with Good Luck Charlie. Zendaya hosted Make Your Mark: Ultimate Dance Off 2011.
Her first movie role was in the 2012 film, Frenemies, a Disney Channel Original Movie. On February 29, 2012, "Something to Dance For" was released as promotioonal single for Live 2 Dance. For the soundtrack Zendaya also recorded three other songs: "Made In Japan," "Same Heart", and "Fashion In Krytonite", released as promotional single. In September 2, 2012 she signed to Hollywood Records. On October Zendaya performed at the Teen Music Festival and at the Operation Smile benefit. Zendaya voice acted in the animated television movie Pixie Hollow Games (2011). She has also made guest appearances on TV series A.N.T. Farm and Good Luck Charlie, and starred with Thorne in the 2012 television movie Frenemies.
2013–present: Dancing with the Stars and debut album
In 2013 Zendaya was a contestant on season 16 of Dancing With the Stars. She beat out Shawn Johnson as the youngest contestant to ever be on the show. She had her first dance with Val Chmerkovskiy on March 18, 2013 to Contemporary, and got a score of 24. She scored a 26 on March 25, 2013 with the Jive, totaling her score to 50, the highest, keeping her safe from elimination on March 26, 2013. She also scored a perfect score in the May 20, 2013 episode in every dance but finished in second place in the results show the following night. In June 2013, Coleman wrapped up filming for the music video. On July 25, the Disney Channel confirmed that Shake It Up will be canceled after the end of the third season.
In May 2013, it was reported Coleman's debut album would be released in the fall of 2013 and the albums lead single would be released in June. On August 13, 2013, Zendaya revealed that her debut album would self-titled, along with unveiling the official artwork for the record. Zendaya's self-titled debut album was, released on September 17, 2013 by Hollywood Records. Upon release the album was met with positive reviews from music critics who compared the album to the work of Cassie Ventura. The album debuted on the Billboard 200 at number 51 selling around 7,458 copies in its first week.
"Replay" was released as the albums lead single on on July 16, 2013. The song was met with positive reviews from critics noting the single from breaking the musical "mould" and praised the song for its catchy lyrics. Replay was a moderate success where it debuted at number seventy-seven and reached peak of forty on Billboard Hot 100, making Replay her first Top forty hit. The song also made appearances on the New Zealand chart and Canadian charts chart peaking at eighteen and eighty three respectively. The song was certified platinum by the RIAA for shipments of a million copies.
On September 19, 2013, Zendaya made her first national performance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, in which she sang the albums lead single. In early 2012 Zendaya embarked on a North American tour entitled Swag It Out Tour, in order to promote her debut album and the Shake It Up soundtrack. The tour started on August 5, 2012 in Oakland and finished on December 17, 2013. The tour consisted of two legs over America and Canada with a total of twenty one shows. Zendaya also co-hosted BET’s “106th & Park” during the BET Experience leading up to the BET Awards. In 2013 Zendaya filmed a movie titled Zapped that will release Summer 2014. In early 2014 Zendaya will be shooting a pilot for the Disney special Super Awesome Katy. Zendaya will also co produce "Super Awesome Katy" witch is the working tittle. One of her cast-mate is rumored boyfriend Trevor Jackson whose plays her Love Interest Lincoln.
Zendaya release 2 buzz videos My Baby on January 28, 2014 and The My Baby Remix featuring Taylor Gang rapper Ty Dolla Sign and Up and Coming California Rapper/Songwriter Bobby Brackins on February 15, 2014  On January 30, 2014 Replay went Platinum. Zendaya is also the New Face of X-Out.
In September 2012 Zendaya was featured along with rapper Lil Wayne and NBA player Lebron James in a performance of "Scream and Shout" by Will.I.Am & Britney Spears for a television commercial for Beats by Dr. Dre Color. In August 6, 2013 Zendaya released her debut book, Between U and Me: How to Rock Your Tween Years with Style and Confidence. She told about the book: "I actually signed this book deal over a year ago…I worked on the book all summer and fall". In 2013 Zendaya started work on a clothing line, inspired on her clothes on Shake It Up, the Shake It Up Dance Clothing Line by Zendaya. The collection features fun clothes for active girls, legwarmers, shorts, jackets, headbands and athletic apparel and accessories.
Influences and voice
|"I'm kind of creating my own music and I'm kind of creating my own zone, my own lane as an artist. I want to do rhythmic pop, it's not necessarily your average pop song. It has some kind of urban edge, some kind of more hip-hop-ish tones to it that kind of edge it up and do something a little different so it's not just your stereotypical pop music."|
—Zeandaya talking about the albums musical style.
Zendaya's self-titled debut album musically experiment with pop and R&B genres, as well as touching upon Electropop. The albums lyrical content tackles issues of love and heartbreak. After streaming the album to radio presenter Ryan Seacrest, he commented on the albums music calling is a "pop/R&B hybrid offering for the most part", he continued to comment saying the album contained "urban cuts"
Zendaya has cited Michael Jackson, Aaliyah and Beyoncé Knowles as her biggest musical influences. An interview to Jon Ali, she commented: "I love Beyoncé, I think she is one of the best performers out there. She works her butt off and always delivers with everything that she does. It’s a beautiful thing". Other musical influences include Rihanna and Bridgit Mendler. Zendaya also has cited some rappers and hip hop artists as ASAP Rocky, Big Sean, Jay-Z, Kanye West and Nicki Minaj.
Zendaya spent three years of dancing in a dance group called Future Shock Oakland. The group did hip hop and hula dances when she was eight. Zendaya currently lives in Los Angeles with her family and dog, a Giant Schnauzer named Midnight. Her interests include singing, dancing and designing clothes.
|2011||Pixie Hollow Games||Fern||Voice role|
|2012||Frenemies||Halley Brandon||Television film; Disney Channel Original Movie|
|2013||Super Buddies||Lollipop||Voice role|
|2014||Zapped||Zoey Stevens||Television film; Disney Channel Original Movie|
|2010–13||Shake It Up||Rocky Blue||Co-lead role; Disney Channel Original Series|
|2011||Good Luck Charlie||Rocky Blue||Episode: "Charlie Shakes It Up"|
|2011||PrankStars||Herself||Episode: "Walk the Prank"|
|2012||A.N.T. Farm||Sequoia Jones||Episode: "Creative consultANT"|
|2013||Dancing with the Stars||Herself||Season 16 contestant; finished second|
|2013||America's Next Top Model||Herself||Episode: "The Girl Who Gets Punked"|
|2014||Under the Gunn||Herself||Episode: "Hit the Stage"|
|2014||Super Awesome Katy||Katy Cooper||Pilot; pre-production|
- Zendaya (2013)
- Swag It Out Tour (2012—13)
Awards and nominations
|2011||Young Artist Award||Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series
(shared with Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine)
|Shake It Up||Nominated|||
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Triple Threat (Acting, Singing, and Dancing)||Herself|||
|2012||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a TV Series - Leading Young Actress||Shake It Up|||
|Outstanding Young Ensemble in a TV Series
(shared with Bella Thorne, Davis Cleveland, Roshon Fegan, Adam Irigoyen, Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine)
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic TV Actress|||
|NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series or Special|||
|2013||Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a TV Movie, MiniSeries, Special or Pilot - Leading Young Actress||Frenemies|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Video||"Fashion Is My Kryptonite"|
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Book||Between U and Me|||
|2014||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Performance in a Youth/ Children's Program - (Series or Special)||"Shake It Up"|||
|Outstanding New Artist||Herself|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||The Buzz – Breakout Artist of the Year||Herself||Pending|||
|You’ve Got Swag! – Artist With The Best Style (Sponsored by Justice)||Herself|
- "Caroline's young sons Jackie (Brandon Charles Deadwiler alternating with Evan Stone Green) and Joe (Zendaya Maree Stoermer Coleman alternating with William David Southhall) are little dancing fools..."
- "Zendaya - Credits". allmusic by Rovi. 2012. Retrieved December 23, 2012.
- "Billboard Chart History: Zendaya". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- About Zendaya February 9, 2011
- "Zendaya is Raquel "Rocky" Blue". Disney Channel Medianet. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- "Kidz Bop – 'Hot n Cold' Music Video". KidzBop.com. Retrieved January 1, 2011.
- Zendaya Shake It Up! audition December 28, 2010
- Shady, Justin (October 22, 2010). "Coleman & Thorne: Duo 'Shake Up' Disney". Variety. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Swag It Out May 30, 2011
- From Bad To Cursed
- "Rising Star: Tiny Dancer". Diablo Magazine. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Amy Sciarretto. "Zendaya Signs to Hollywood Records".
- "Zendaya Coleman Performing At The Los Angeles Sports Arena On October 21, 2012 To Benefit Operation Smile".
- "Dorothy Hamill and Andy Dick among 'Dancing' stars". New York Post. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Zendaya's 'Crying' Fans 'So Sad' About 'Dancing With The Stars' Loss". MTV. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Zendaya Coleman delights in her newfound fame as she hits the talk show circuit after coming second on DWTS". Dailymail. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Dancing with the Stars' Season 16 finale: Kellie Pickler edges out Zendaya". NY Daily. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- ""Shake It Up" Canceled After Season 3". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "'Shake It Up' Canceled: Disney Channel Will End Zendaya And Bella Thorne's Show After Season 3". Huffington Post. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Zendaya Coleman Announces Debut Album and Talks Release Date". j-14. 2012-05-27.
- "Zendaya Debut Album To Be Self-Titled!". Sweety High. 13-08-13.
- "Zendaya - Zendaya Official Album Cover publisher=josepvinaixa.com". 2013-08-18. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- iTunes - Music - Replay - Single by Zendaya
- "US certifications: Zendaya". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- ""Super Awesome Katy" reunites the actress with "Shake It Up" executive producer Rob Lotterstein.". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 7, 2013). "Disney Channel Greenlights Comedy Pilot Starring ‘Shake It Up’s Zendaya". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Dinh, James (November 21, 2012). "Britney Spears And will.i.am's 'Scream And Shout' Video To Premiere On 'X Factor'". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Between U and Me: How to Rock Your Tween Years with Style and Confidence". Amazon. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Zendaya Coleman’s Book "Between U And Me" Arrives August 6, 2013". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "CeCe And Rocky "Shake It Up" D-Signed Collection At Target". Disney Dreaming. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- ""Shake It Up" Dance Clothing Line". Zendaya.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Zendaya Streams Debut Album Before It's Release - Listen". Ryan Seacrest. 13-09-13.
- "Popping Up: Zendaya". Idolator. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya - Influences (VEVO LIFT): Brought To You By McDonald's". Artist Direction. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Jon ALi Interviews Zendaya + Debut Album Out Now!". Jon Ali Official. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya: It Was an "Honor" to Meet Rihanna!". Bop and Tiger Beat Magazine. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya Coleman Congratulates Bridgit Mendler On Her Debut Album "Hello My Name Is"". Disney Dreaming. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya Wants to Collab With Major Rap Stars!". J-14 Magazine. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Listen: Zendaya Is Gonna "Swag It Out" With Her First Single!". June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Is 'Replay' Singer Zendaya Coleman the Next Rihanna? [VIDEO] 'Shake It Up' Star is Author, Singer and Actress, Names Fans 'Zswaggers'". Fashion & Syle. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Zendaya, "Replay": Disney’s Newest Pop Princess Arrives With An Amazing Debut Single". MuuMuse. June 20, 2009. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- name Cover Girl Interview July 8, 2011
- "32nd Annual Young Artist Awards".
- "J-14's Teen Icon Awards 2011!". j-14.com. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "Vote for J-14's Teen Icon Awards 2012! - J-14 Magazine".
- "Zendaya At The 2012 NAACP Image Awards". Zendaya.com. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". Young Artist Awards.
- "J-14 TEEN ICON AWARDS: Meet Your 2013 Nominees & Vote Now!". J-14. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "NAACP Image Awards 2014: Full list of nominations". On The Red Carpet. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- "RDMA 2014 Nomination". Black Celeb Kids. 2014-02-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zendaya.|