|Studio album by Zendaya|
|Released||September 17, 2013|
|Producer||Mick Schultz, Harmony Samuels, Jonas Jeberg, The Suspex, Jukebox, The Monsters and The Strangerz, Nick Jonas|
|Singles from Zendaya|
Zendaya is the self-titled debut album by American actress and singer Zendaya, released on September 17, 2013 by Hollywood Records. After acting in the Disney series Shake It Up Zendaya signed a recording contract with Hollywood Records, in which she began recording her debut in late 2012. Zendaya served as a co-writer for the album, contributing to a large portion of the songs, for production Zendaya called upon the likes of Mick Schultz, Harmony Samuels, Jonas Jeberg, The Suspex, Jukebox, The Monsters and The Strangerz and Nick Jonas.
"Zendaya" consists of eleven songs, musically the album is a pop album that incorporates R&B, electro-R&B and glitch. Lyrically the album discusses issues of heartbreak and love. Upon the albums release it was met with general positive reviews from music critics, who praised the albums production. Commercially the album fared debuting on the US Billboard 200 at number 51 selling 7,458 copies in the first week.
The lead single, "Replay", was released on July 16, 2013, and the music video premiered on August 15, 2013 on VEVO and Disney Channel. The single became Zendaya's highest charting song at the time charting within both the top forty of the US and New Zealand. To further promote the album Zendaya performed at a variety of television shows and set out on a North American tour entitled Swag It Out Tour.
After starting her career as an actress, acting in shows including Shake It Up, she began featuring on soundtracks releasing the singles "Watch Me" and "Something To Dance For", Zendaya announced she has signed a record deal. On August 8, 2012, Zendaya announced she had signed a record deal with Hollywood Records, via her official twitter account she commented on the signing writing; "epic moment in my life...it's official!!! HOLLYWOOD RECORDS!!!", the comment also included pictures of herself with the label executives signing a contract. In May 2013, it was reported Coleman's debut album would be released in the fall of 2013 and the albums lead single would be released in June. On August 13, 2013, Zendaya revealed that her debut album would self-titled, along with unveiling the official artwork for the record.
Music and lyrics
|"I'm kind of creating my own music and I'm kind of creating my own zone, my own lane as an artist. I want to do rhythmic pop, it's not necessarily your average pop song. It has some kind of urban edge, some kind of more hip-hop-ish tones to it that kind of edge it up and do something a little different so it's not just your stereotypical pop music."|
—Zendaya talking about the albums musical style.
"Zendaya" consists of eleven tracks, that musically experiment with pop and R&B genres. The albums lyrical content tackles issues of love and heartbreak. After streaming the album to radio presenter Ryan Seacrest, he commented on the albums music calling is a "pop/R&B hybrid offering for the most part", he continued to comment saying the album contained "urban cuts"
The albums opening track and lead single "Replay" is a "grittier club-ready pop track", that was produced by Mick Schultz. "Replay" is an electro-R&B song with influences from glitch and dubstep. The following song "Fireflies" is blend of pop and R&B genres, that contains a "heavy beat."
"Scared" is an up-tempo pop song that lyrically speaks about "trying to save a relationship because she is scared of being alone". "Scared" was written by Tiffany Fred and Paul "Phamous" Shelton, and was described by Zendaya as having a "Kanye West type of vibe". "Love You Forever" is an up-tempo "90s throwback" song that has been compared to the work of the late singer Aaliyah. Lyrically the song discusses Zendaya falling in love on the dance floor, the concpt of the song is introduced with lyrics such as "We on that all night, get it right/ If you keep on moving like that, I might love you forever/ We on that first time love high/ Just keep on moving/ 'Cause I might love you forever."
- "Replay" was released as the album's lead single on July 16, 2013. The song was met with positive reviews from critics noting the single from breaking the musical "mould" and praised the song for its catchy lyrics. Replay was a moderate success where it debuted at number seventy-seven and reached peak of forty on Billboard Hot 100, making Replay her first Top 40 hit. The song also made appearances on the New Zealand chart and US Billboard dance club play chart peaking at eighteen and three respectively.
On September 19, 2013, Zendaya made her first national performance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, in which she sang the albums lead single. On October 29, Zendaya was the New Artist of the Month on The Today Show, where she performed an acoustic version of "Replay". On November 29, she performed "Replay" on BET's 106 & Park. Zendaya further promoted the project by hosting events like "106 & park" special "106 & prom", in which she spoke about her upcoming music project. In early 2012 Zendaya embarked on a North American tour entitled Swag It Out Tour, in order to promote her debut album and the Shake It Up soundtrack. The tour started on August 5, 2012 in Oakland and finished on December 17, 2013. The tour consisted of two legs over America and Canada with a total of twenty one shows.
Allmusic praised the self-titled album, commending its production saying the album "delivers sleek pop thrills with fewer growing pains than some of her predecessors suffered on their early albums". Allmusic continued to compare the album to the debut of Cassie, overall saying the album "is a streamlined, self-assured first effort".
The album debuted on the Billboard 200 at number 51 selling around 7,458 copies in its first week.
|1.||"Replay"||Zendaya Coleman, Mick Schultz, Tiffany Fred, Paul Shelton||Mick Schultz||3:29|
|2.||"Fireflies"||Dawn Richard, Harmony Samuels, Andrew Scott||Harmony Samuels||4:13|
|3.||"Butterflies"||Sam Watters, Clarence Coffee, Jordan Johnson, Stefan Johnson, Marcus Lomax||The Monsters and the Strangerz||3:47|
|4.||"Putcha Body Down"||Jonas Jeberg, Marlin Bonds, C.J. Holland||Jonas Jeberg||3:19|
|5.||"Heaven Lost an Angel"||Zendaya Coleman, Clarence Coffee, J. Johnson, S. Johnson, Marcus Lomax||The Monsters and the Strangerz||3:11|
|6.||"Cry for Love"||James Roston, Chris Aparri||James Roston, Chris Aparri||3:48|
|7.||"Only When You're Close"||Zendaya Coleman, Autumn Rowe, Clarence Coffee, J. Johnson, S. Johnson, Marcus Lomax||The Monsters and the Strangerz||3:44|
|8.||"Bottle You Up"||Mitch Allan, Jason Evigan, Livvi Franc||Mitch Allan, Jason Evigan||3:38|
|9.||"Scared"||Ronald Jackson, Robert Allen, Tiffany Fred, Paul Shelton||Ronald Jackson, Robert Allen||2:57|
|10.||"Love You Forever"||Zendaya Coleman, Nick Jonas, Marcus Kincy, Tiffany Fred, Paul Shelton||Nick Jonas||4:07|
|11.||"My Baby"||Zendaya Coleman, Nicholas Balding, Robert Brackins||NicNac||3:07|
|Target exclusive bonus track|
|No.||Title||Writer(s)||Produced by ANIMAL||Length|
|12.||"Parachute"||Zendaya Coleman, Paul Shelton, Pierre Heath, Nick Gross, Mike Riley, Anthony Vasquez, Kimberly Dopson||The STRZ||3:10|
- Kazembe Ajamu - Executive Producer, Management
- Mitch Allan - Composer, Producer
- Robert L. Allen - Composer, Vocals (Background)
- Chris "Flict" Aparri - Composer, Producer
- Nicholas Balding - Composer
- Marlin "Hookman" Bonds - Composer
- Dan Book - Vocal Producer
- Bobby Brackins - Composer, Producer
- Jose Cardoza - Engineer
- Jeremy Cimino - Mixing
- Clarence Coffee, Jr. - Composer
- Mike Daly - A&R, Creative Director
- Jason Evigan - Composer, Producer
- Livvi Franc - Composer, Vocals (Background)
- Tiffany Fred - Composer, Vocal Producer, Vocals (Background)
- Brian "Big Bass" Gardner - Mastering
- CJ Holland - Composer
- Ajayi Jackson - Vocal Producer
- Ronald Jackson - Composer
- Jaiden the Cure - Vocals (Background)
- Jonas Jeberg - Composer, Engineer, Instrumentation, Producer, Programming, Vocal Producer
- Jordan Johnson - Composer
- Stefan Johnson - Composer, Engineer, Vocal Producer
- Nick Jonas - Composer, Producer, Programming
- Enny Joo - Art Direction, Design
- Jukebox - Keyboards, Percussion, Producer, Programming
- Marcus Kincy - Composer, Keyboards
- Carlos King - Engineer
- Brandon Kitchen - A&R, Creative Director
- Aldo Lehman - Engineer
- Marcus Lomax - Composer, Vocal Producer
- Michael Manata - Assistant
- Al Manerson - Executive Producer
- The Monsters - Producer
- Vernon Mungo - Mixing Assistant
- Nic Nac - Engineer, Producer
- Jeremiah Olvera - Assistant
- Neal H. Pogue - Mixing
- Carmen Reece - Vocal Arrangement, Vocal Producer, Vocals (Background)
- Dawn Richard - Composer
- James Roston - Composer
- Autumn Rowe - Composer
- Harmony Samuels - Composer, Instrumentation, Producer, Vocal Producer
- Mick Schultz - Composer, Engineer, Producer
- Michael Schwartz - Photography
- Andrew "Druski" Scott - Composer
- Paul "Phamous" Guy Shelton - Composer, Producer, Vocal Producer
- Strangerz - Producer
- Suspex - Instrumentation, Producer
- Sam Watters - Composer, Vocal Producer
- Zendaya - Composer, Concept, Executive Producer, Primary Artist
|US Billboard 200||51|
|United States||September 17, 2013||Standard, Target edition||Hollywood Records|
|Canada||September 17, 2013||Standard||Hollywood Records|
|Australia||April 11, 2014||Standard||Universal Music|
|Spain||April 11, 2014||Standard||Hollywood Records|
|Singapore||April 14, 2014||Standard||Hollywood Records|
- "Zendaya - Zendaya Official Album Cover publisher=josepvinaixa.com". 2013-08-18. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Zendaya Coleman Signs Recording Contract with Hollywood Records". Teen.com. 2012-08-08.
- "Zendaya Coleman Signs Her Recording Contract with Hollywood Records". Disney Dreaming. 13-08-12.
- "Zendaya Coleman Announces Debut Album and Talks Release Date". j-14. 2012-05-27.
- "Zendaya Debut Album To Be Self-Titled!". Sweety High. 13-08-13.
- "Zendaya Streams Debut Album Before It's Release - Listen". Ryan Seacrest. 13-09-13.
- Stern, Bradley (July 12, 2013). "Zendaya, "Replay": Disney’s Newest Pop Princess Arrives With An Amazing Debut Single". MuuMuse. MuuMuse. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Donovan (July 13, 2012). "Zendaya’s Surprisingly Wicked Debut Single ‘Replay’". Homorazzi. Homorazzi. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Sager, Jessica (July 13, 2013). "ZENDAYA, ‘REPLAY’ – SONG REVIEW". PopCrush. Townsquare Media. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- iTunes - Music - Replay - Single by Zendaya
- "Zendaya Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for Zendaya. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-04-29.