|Grade I race|
|Location||Santa Anita Park
Arcadia, California, United States
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Website||Oak Tree Racing|
|Distance||11/16 miles (8.5 furlongs)|
|Qualification||Fillies & Mares, three-years-old & up|
The Zenyatta Stakes (formally the Lady's Secret Stakes and Lady's Secret Breeders' Cup Handicap) is an American Thoroughbred horse race run annually near the end of September during the Oak Tree Racing Association meet at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California. The race was run at Hollywood Park in 2010 due to impending work at Santa Anita Park. There is also an east coast version run at Monmouth Park.
In 2012, the race was renamed after the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic winner and 2010 American Horse of the Year Zenyatta, who won the race in 2008, 2009 and 2010. The race was previously named after Hall of Famer Lady's Secret.
Proposed name change
After the 2009 running, it was announced that the race would be renamed the Zenyatta Stakes. That change, however, was held off for 2010 at the behest of the connections of Zenyatta. For 2010, it was again run as the Lady's Secret Stakes because Zenyatta was in the field. The Mosses and Zenyatta’s trainer, John Shirreffs, requested that the race be changed back to its original name for this running.
The race name change was done on the assumption that Zenyatta would retire at the end of 2009. The Hollywood Park officials did not anticipate that she might again race in the Lady's Secret in 2010. The race was again run as the Lady's Secret Stakes in 2011 but will be run under its new name in 2012.
- 1:40.30 - Zenyatta (2008)
- 3 - Zenyatta (2008, 2009, 2010)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 4 - Mike E. Smith (2002, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Most wins by a trainer:
- 4 - John Shirreffs (1999, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Most wins by an owner:
- 4 - Ann & Jerry Moss (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
‡ In 2010 run at Hollywood Park.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santa Anita Park.|
- The Lady's Secret Stakes at Pedigree Query
- Oak Tree Racing official website
- BloodHorse Sep. 2, 2010 Zenyatta Stakes Changed Back to the Lady's Secret
- Shandler, Jason. "Zenyatta Stakes Changed Back to Lady's Secret". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- Network, Sports. "Goodwood Stakes among 14 to be renamed at Santa Anita". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 2012-07-14.