Zephyr Rain Teachout, her birthname, was born and raised on a farm in Vermont. She attended Yale University, graduating with a Bachelors of Arts degree in 1993. She went on to receive two simultaneous degrees from Duke University in 1999: a JD and a Masters of Arts in political science. After attaining her law degree, Teachout clerked for Chief Judge Edward Roy Becker of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Teachout is an antitrust and media expert who served as the Director of Internet organizing for the 2004 Howard Dean Presidential Campaign. She co-founded A New Way Forward, an organization built to break up the power of big banks, and was involved with Occupy Wall Street. Teachout was also the first national director of the Sunlight Foundation.
2014 New York gubernatorial campaign
Teachout narrowly lost a nomination bid against incumbent Governor Andrew Cuomo at the progressive Working Families Party convention, which traditionally cross-endorses the Democratic Party candidate.
She announced in an exclusive release, via new media outlet Buzzfeed, that she will be running for the Democratic nomination for governor. Her running mate, Lieutenant Governor candidate Tim Wu, is a Columbia University Law professor who coined the phrase "net neutrality".
- Corruption in America: From Benjamin Franklin’s Snuff Box to Citizens United (Harvard University Press, forthcoming September 2014)
- Mousepads, Shoe Leather and Hope: Lessons from the Howard Dean Campaign for the Future of Internet Politics (Paradigm Press, 2007) (ed. with T. Streeter)
- "The Anti-Corruption Principle" 94 Cornell Law Review 341 (2009)
- "The Unenforceable Corrupt Contract Corruption and 19th Century Contract Law" NYU Review of Law and Social Change Vol. 35, p. 693, 2011
- Duke Magazine "Zephyr Rain Teachout, Accidental Internet Guru"
- "Zephyr Teachout bio". Fordham University School of Law. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "A New Way Forward - Restore the Economy in the Public's Interest". anewwayforward.org. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Cuomo caves to get Working Families Party nod
- "Zephyr Teachout splits the W.F.P., and maybe Cuomo's base | Capital New York". capitalnewyork.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- "New York gubernatorial election, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". en.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Jacob Fischler. "Exclusive: Progressive Ticket Will Challenge Andrew Cuomo And His Running Mate In New York Primary". buzzfeed.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- NETWORK NEUTRALITY, BROADBAND DISCRIMINATION by Tim Wu
- "Tim Wu Elected Board Chair At Free Press". Columbia Law School. 14 April 2008.
- Bray, Hiawatha (21 December 2010). "FCC passes New Neutrality Rule". Boston Globe.
- Teachout, Zephyr (September 8, 2014). Corruption in America: From Benjamin Franklin’s Snuff Box to Citizens United. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University press. ISBN 9780674050402.
- Teachout, Zephyr; Streeter, Thomas (September 2007). Mousepads, Shoe Leather, and Hope: Lessons from the Howard Dean Campaign for the Future of Internet Politics. Paradigm Press. ISBN 978-1-59451-484-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zephyr Teachout.|