The Discount Brokerage
|Headquarters||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Nithin Kamath CEO|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Zerodha Commodities Pvt. Ltd.|
Zerodha is an award winning Indian financial services company (member of NSE, BSE, MCX, MCX-SX) that offers retail and institutional broking and distribution, and currencies and commodities trading. Founded in 2010, the company is headquartered in Bangalore and has presence in nine Indian cities. It is also an official member of NSE's consultative committee for growing business.
"Discount broking" model
The company claims to be "India's first discount brokerage", having debuted the "discount broking" model in India that is popular in developed countries. The model exempts customers from any broking charges on trades and transactions, and favours traders who take large futures and options provisions. Instead, a flat fee of a maximum of Rs: 20 is applied to a trade, irrespective of its size.
Zerodha has a client base of 45,000 customers, and handles average daily turnovers of Rs: 4000 – 4500 crores in equities and Rs: 600 crores in commodities. The company offers commodities trading via its wholly owned subsidiary, Zerodha Commodities Pvt. Ltd.
Nithin Kamath, the founder and CEO, won the 2013 Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Emerging Entrepreneur Award for pioneering and scaling the discount broking model in India. Zerodha also won the BSE-D&B "Emerging Equity Broking House Award 2014".
Crowd.in (The Crowd Index)  is a large scale online research project that attempts to create a realtime market sentiment index by soliciting predictions for daily NIFTY closings from the crowd. The predictions are plotted against the index on a live graph on Crowd's website, and the prediction data is made available to analysts and researchers.
ZITIR (Zerodha Insider Trading Impact Rating) is a proprietary indicator developed by Zerodha that predicts the overall bullishness or bearishness of the stakeholders of a listed company. It continuously analyses the individual and collective insider trading patterns of listed Indian companies over long periods against individual and market performance to compute the impact rating. The indicator is expressed on a scale of -100 to 100, where -100 represents extremely bearish behaviour by the insiders, and 100, extremely bullish behaviour.
TradingQ&A (Trading Questions and Answers) is an open, community driven question and answer portal by Zerodha. It features questions and answers generated from active user participation on a wide variety of topics in trading and markets. The portal works in a fashion similar to Stackoverflow, where questions and answers are voted up or down by users based on merit, and users earn points and "badges" for active participation.
- "Zerodha - Bengaluru - Financial & Legal Services service provider". Indiamart. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Zerodha wins the Emerging Equity Broking House 2014 (BSE-D&B) award". Zerodha. 2014-11-01. Retrieved 2014-11-20.
- "Zerodha opens its Ahmedabad support center". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- "MCX-SX says Zerodha offering Rs0 per trade on its own". Money Life. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Zerodha makes stock broking pay at Rs 20". Business Line. 2013-03-23. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- "Volume traders like Zerodha take fancy to online discount broking". The Economic Times. 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- "Zerodha Pricing". Zerodha.
- "Zerodha aims to be among the top three online trading firms in 2 years". Business Standard. 2012-12-11. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "Zerodha commodities".
- "Use technology to create affordable products, CII chief tells entrepreneurs". BusinessLine. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- "Zerodha launches crowd.in, the Crowd Index to check market sentiment". Your Story. 2014-08-27. Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- "Reading market sentiment". The Hindu Business Line. 2014-08-24. Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- "ZITIR – Insider Trading tool from Zerodha". Market Calls. 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2013-10-24.