Epoch J2000.0 Equinox J2000.0
|Apparent magnitude (V)||+3.77|
|Distance||398 ± 44 ly
(122 ± 13 pc)
|Spectral type||G4Ib Ba2|
Zeta Capricorni, (ζ Cap, ζ Capricorni), is a fourth-magnitude star in the constellation Capricornus. ζ Capricorni is a binary star, with the primary component ζ Capricorni A being a yellow G-type supergiant with an apparent magnitude of +3.77. It is considered one of the prototypical examples of a Barium star, properties of which include overabundances of carbon molecules (such as C2) and s-process elements. Zeta Capricorni has an overabundance of the s-process element praseodymium.
Its companion, ζ Capricorni B is a white dwarf.
In Chinese, 十二國 (Shíer Guó), meaning Twelve States, refers to an asterism which represents twelve ancient states in the Spring and Autumn Period and the Warring States period, consisting of ζ Capricorni, φ Capricorni, ι Capricorni, 38 Capricorni, 35 Capricorni, 36 Capricorni, χ Capricorni, θ Capricorni, 30 Capricorni, 33 Capricorni, 19 Capricorni, 26 Capricorni, 27 Capricorni, 20 Capricorni, η Capricorni and 21 Capricorni. Consequently, ζ Capricorni itself represents the state of Yan (燕)., together with ν Ophiuchi in Left Wall of Heavenly Market Enclosure (asterism).
- "HD 204075 -- Star in double system". SIMBAD Astronomical Database. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- Jim Kaler: Zeta Capricorni
- (Chinese) 中國星座神話, written by 陳久金. Published by 台灣書房出版有限公司, 2005, ISBN 978-986-7332-25-7.
- Richard Hinckley Allen: Star Names — Their Lore and Meaning: Capricornus
- (Chinese) AEEA (Activities of Exhibition and Education in Astronomy) 天文教育資訊網 2006 年 6 月 23 日
|This binary or multiple star system–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|