Zeti Akhtar Aziz
Zeti Akhtar Aziz was born in Johor Bahru, Johor on 27/8/1947, to father Royal Professor Ungku Aziz, who is of Malay, Circassian and English descent and mother Sharifah Azah Mohamed Alsagoff, who was of Hadhrami Arab and Malay descent.
Zeti received early education at Assunta High School, Petaling Jaya in 1958. She then did her Form 6 in St. John's Institution, Kuala Lumpur. In 1970, she received a Bachelor's degree in Economics from University Malaya. She subsequently continued her studies in the Department of Economics at the University of Pennsylvania, receiving a PhD in monetary and international economics. As part of her PhD dissertation she carried out pioneering work on capital flows and its implications for monetary policy.
Zeti Akhtar Aziz began her career as an economic analyst for the South-East Asia Central Bank Training & Research Center, remaining at that post from 1979 to 1984. She was then appointed Deputy Manager of the Economics Department at Bank Negara Malaysia.
On 20 May 2011, Bloomberg columnist William Pesek picked Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Dr Zeti Akhtar Aziz as one of his top four nominees to head the prestigious International Monetary Fund (IMF) after the position became vacant following the resignation of Dominique Strauss-Kahn who was arrested in New York, and is presently facing sexual assault charges.
In 2013, Tan Sri Dr Zeti Akhtar Aziz has again been accorded “Grade A” among the heads of central banks for the 10th time by the Global Finance magazine. She was awarded alongside Philippines’ central bank governor Amando Tetangco, Jr. and Taiwan’s Central Bank Governor Perng Fai-nan, from a list of central bank governors of more than 50 key countries.
Tan Sri Dato' Sri Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz is married to Dato' Dr Tawfiq Ayman and they have two children : Alif & Aziz.
- Syed Muhammad Naquib al-Attas, MSA Library Online
- Taking root, branching out, DZIREENA MAHADZIR, April 1, 2007, The Star (Malaysia)
- Abid, Jaafar, pp66
- "Finance's female face". TMCnet.com. 2005-12-29.
- "The world's successful diasporas". managementtoday.com. 2007-04-03.
- "Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz the world's best central bank chief". All Voices.com. Sep 13, 2010.
- "Tan Sri Dr Zeti named ‘Tokoh Ma’al Hijrah’". The Star. December 7, 2010.
- "Zeti one of Bloomberg columnist’s top picks to head IMF". The Malaysian Insider. May 21, 2011.
- "Bank Negara's Zeti awarded 'Grade A' among central bank governors". The Star. Aug 27, 2013.