Zhang Xiaoping during the Olympic Games 2008
|Competitor for China|
|Gold||2008 Beijing||Light Heavyweight|
|Silver||2007 Ulan Bator||Light Heavyweight|
Zhang Xiaoping (simplified Chinese: 张小平; traditional Chinese: 張小平; pinyin: Zhāng Xiǎopíng; born April 1, 1982 in Xilinhot, Inner Mongolia) is a Chinese amateur boxer who won a gold medal as a light heavyweight in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
He won two matches at the world championships 2007 including an upset over Germany's world military champion Gottlieb Weiss but lost to veteran Yerkabulan Shinaliev and fell one win short of direct qualification.
In the final of the 2008 Beijing Olympics he beat Kenneth Egan of Ireland to win the gold medal. The final match was controversial in that the judges failed to record multiple points for Egan, the NBC announcers concurred on this point. Zhang is expected to fight in a 'rematch' against Kenny Egan on the undercard of Bernard Dunne's next WBA Super-Bantamweight title defence.
Beijing Olympic games results
2008 (as a Light heavyweight)
- Defeated Mourad Sahraoui (Tunisia) 3-1
- Defeated Artur Beterbiyev (Russia) 8-2
- Defeated Abdelhafid Benchabla (Algeria) 12-7
- Defeated Yerkebulan Shynaliyev (Kazakhstan) 4-4
- Defeated Kenneth Egan (Ireland) 11-7
World amateur championships results
2007 (as a Light heavyweight)
- Defeated Jasveer Singh (India) 17-3
- Defeated Gottlieb Weiss (Germany) 17-13
- Lost to Yerkebulan Shynaliyev (Kazakhstan) 5-14