August 11, 1891|
|Died||May 16, 1940
|Service/branch||National Revolutionary Army|
|Years of service||1914–1940|
|Commands held||Third Division|
|Battles/wars||Battle of Taierzhuang, Battle of Wuhan|
|Awards||Order of Blue Sky and White Sun|
Zhang Zizhong (simplified Chinese: 张自忠; traditional Chinese: 張自忠; pinyin: Zhāng Zìzhōng; Wade–Giles: Chang Tzu-chung; August 11, 1891-May 16, 1940) was a general of the Chinese National Revolutionary Army (NRA) during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Born in Linqing, Shandong, he was the highest-ranked officer and the only Army group commander of the NRA to die in the war. He showed great valor in the battlefields and was regarded as one of the most valiant and respectable Chinese generals by the Imperial Japanese Army during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Because of his posthumous promotion, he was also one of the highest-ranked Allied officers that was killed in action in World War II. His mausoleum is situated in Beibei District, Chongqing. There are roads named after him in Shanghai, Beijing and Tianjin.
 Career timeline
- 1911: Studied law in Tianjin
- 1914: Assigned to the 20th Army Division near Fengtian (present day Shenyang) as platoon leader
- 1935–1936: Chairman of the Government of Charhar Province
- 1937: Mayor of Tianjin
- 1937: General Officer Commanding 38th Division
- 1937–1940: General Officer Commanding LIX Corps
- 1938: General Officer commanding the 27th Army
- 1939: Commander in Chief Right Flank Army 5th War Area
- 1939–1940 : Commander in Chief 33rd Army Group
- 1940: Killed in Action at Mount Chang near Yichang, Hubei
- 1940: Posthumous promotion to Full General 
 See also
- Military history of China
- History of the Republic of China
- Second Sino-Japanese War
- World War II
- Marco Polo Bridge Incident
- Battle of Tai'erzhuang
- Battle of Wuhan
- Along with Lt. Gen. Lesley J. McNair, who was killed by friendly fire in France on July 25, 1944, and Lt. Gen. Frank Maxwell Andrews, killed in an air crash in Iceland on May 3, 1943.
- 1940年國民政府頒佈了褒恤令和追晉張自忠將軍為陸軍上將令「故陸軍上將銜陸軍中將張自忠追晉為陸軍上將。此令。中華民國二十九年七月七日。」 Executive Order issued by the Republic of China on July 7th, 1940 - "Post Posthumous promotion of Lieutenant General Zhang Zizhong to Full General, effects immediately. Date."
 Further reading
- Arthur Waldron. "China's New Remembering of World War II: The Case of Zhang Zizhong". Modern Asian Studies 30, 4 (1996): 945-978.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: National Revolutionary Army|