He graduated with honors from the Al-Farabi Kazakh National University in 1997. The same year he was awarded a scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for one-year academic study in Germany. In 1998 he obtained a Master of Law (LL.M, Magna cum Laude) degree from the University of Hamburg and in 2002 a Candidate of Science (PhD) degree in law from the Al-Farabi Kazakh National University.
In 2003-2004 he was a Fulbright scholar at the Southwestern University School of Law (Los Angeles, USA) and in 2007-2008 an Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) fellow at the Europa-Institut of the University of Saarland (Saarbruecken, Germany) and at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (Heidelberg, Germany).
His main research interests are connected with the legal aspects of regional trade agreements; international economic law; legal history and theory of European integration; and constitutional law of Republic of Kazakhstan.
He is the author of several books as well numerous articles published in Germany, Kazakhstan, Russia and the US. He has presented papers at scores of legal conferences and public hearings around the world.
- Kembayev, Zhenis. Introduction to the Law of Kazakhstan. The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 2012.
- Kembayev, Zhenis. Political-Legal History of the Idea of the United Europe: from Ancient Times to the Present (in Russian) (with extensive summaries in English and German). Almaty-Astana: Academpress, 2012.
- Kembayev, Zhenis. Legal Aspects of the Regional Integration Processes in the Post-Soviet Area. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2009. Summary and Sample Pages.
- List of publications by the Humboldt Foundation
- Dissertation at the University of Cologne Summary
- List of publications by the Biblioteka Spark (in Russian)