Zionsville Community High School
|Zionsville Community High School|
|1000 Mulberry Street
Zionsville, Indiana, Boone County, 46077
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Zionsville Community Schools|
|NCES District ID||1802830|
|NCES School ID||180283000341|
|Vice principal||Greg McDaniels
|Number of students||1,818|
|Hours in school day||8:10 - 3:20|
|Color(s)||Forest Green and Silver
|Athletics||Indiana High School Athletic Association|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Crossroads Conference|
|Athletic director||Greg Schellhase|
Zionsville Community High School (ZCHS) is a 4-year high school located in Boone County, Zionsville, Indiana, United States. The high school's current enrollment is 1,818 students as of the 2012-2013 school year.
The high school was established in 1885 and graduated its first class in 1888. At that time it was located in the second-floor chapel of "The Academy", a small, brick, school house built in 1867 on Walnut Hill. Today, that site is the home of Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. In 1910, it was commissioned as Eagle Township High School. The Chapel building was torn down in 1922 and replaced in 1924. The gymnasium was finished in 1925.
The school remained at that location until 1968 when the first section of the current building was erected on Whitestown Road. In 1970, the name was changed to Zionsville Community High School, when a new school corporation, Eagle-Union Community School Corporation, was formed by the merger of Eagle and Union township schools. The old Eagle Township High School buildings were torn down in 1978, with the exception of the gymnasium. Called the "Varsity Gym" the school continued to use it as the home court of the boys basketball teams into the 1990s. It was torn down to make space for the library's expansion. In 1998 the new varsity gym, located at the Whitestown Road site, opened its doors for the first time. In 2003, the new performing arts center opened. The freshman center and aquatics center opened in 2005. At the end of the 2009 football season, the original football stadium was torn down and a new multi-purpose stadium opened in 2010. In 2011, the new baseball fields and soccer practice fields will open for the first time.
Indiana High School Athletic Association state championships:
- A. J. Corrado - 2010 - Professional soccer player
- Bill Hodges - 1961 - former Indiana State University men's basketball coach
- Tom Mastny - 1999 - Major League Baseball player
- Cory Miller - 2006 - Professional soccer player
- Kendall Phillips - 2007 - Country music singer
- Brad Stevens - 1995 - Boston Celtics Head Coach; Former Butler University men's basketball coach
- Kelly Williamson - 1996 - Triathlete
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Zionsville Community Schools". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 06 February 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Zionsville Community High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 06 February 2012.
- "School Snapshot". Indiana Department of Education. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- Lyons, Joan. "First Eagle Township school was in a squatter's cabin". Past Times Archives at Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. Retrieved 2009-01-13.[dead link]
- Lyons, Joan. "The Village Heritage". Zionsville Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 2009-01-13.[dead link]
- IHSAA Boys Football State Champions
- IHSAA Boys Golf State Champions
- IHSAA Boys Soccer State Champions
- "INQBlots history". Indiana Quiz Bowl. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "National Academic Championship results and history". Questions Unlimited. Retrieved 2011-12-01.