|Elevation||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|• Official||Punjabi, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Zirakpur is a growing town near Chandigarh. It got its name from a small village, which lies at the core of a group of villages now collectively forming this town. When Chandigarh started to expand, the distances between these villages started to shrink and gradually they all fused together into one small town. The agricultural lands were transformed into residential colonies. In 2001 the city recorded a population of only twenty five thousand. The population started increasing in the year 2004 beginning from the village Baltana, which was amongst the first villages to offer planned colonies. As per estimates the population as of 2010 was nearly 150,000. It is situated in the foothills of the Shivalik range. Some of the villages in the Zirakpur are Baltana, Dhakoli, Lohgarh, Bhabat, Himmatgarh (Dhakola), Bishangarh, Bishanpura, Pir Muchhaila, Gazhipur, Kishanpura.
- 1 Civil administration
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Tourist information
- 4 Wedding industry
- 5 Civic amenities
- 6 Residential societies
- 7 Temples and Gurudwaras
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Issues that concern Zirakpur
- 10 References
- 11 External links
As per the 2001 India census, Zirakpur had a population of 25,006. Males constitute 57% of the population and females 43%. Zirakpur has an average literacy rate of 63%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 69%, and female literacy is 56%. In Zirakpur, 15% of the population is under 6 years of age. As of year 2010, the estimated population of Zirakpur is 150,000; the exact number will be revealed once the official counting survey conducted by government of India gives out exact figures. Majority of the population is either Hindu or Sikh. Members of other religions are also present.
- The Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological Park, also known as Chhat Bir Zoo locally, located near Chatt Village is the key attraction. It can be accessed from the Patiala road.
- Various tourist spots in Chandigarh like Rock garden, Rose garden, Chandigarh Museum and Art gallery are close by.
Many hotels are available in the town ranging from budget hotels to a couple of five star properties as well. Lots of visitors coming to Chandigarh prefer to put up in Zirakpur hotels because of its proximity to all the three cities namely Mohali, Panchkula and Chandigarh itself.
A number of malls are in Zirakpur:
- Sushma Infinium High Street/Office & Hotel
- Paras Downtown Square
- City Centre, Ambala-Chandigarh Road
- Cosmo Plaza, Ambala-Chandigarh Road
- Global Mall
- Delta Square (Office Mall), Ambala- Chandigarh Road
Zirakpur marks the confluence of Indian National Highways no. 21, 22 and 64. Zirakpur is well connected through air-conditioned and non air-conditioned local buses with Chandigarh, Panchkula and other neighbouring areas. The inter-state buses going from Chandigarh to Delhi, Patiala, Rajpura, Bathinda and most of the northern cities of Hayrana pass through Zirakpur. There is scope for improvement for connectivity to other neighboring cities. The Chandigarh Metro is also planned to connect Zirakpur with other parts of the region in second phase. Mass rapid transport system is the urgent requirement of the Zirakpur to decongest the ever growing road traffic and jams. Zirakpur is located on the Ambala-Chandigarh highway and the Patiala-Shimla highway. At the intersection of these highways, a new flyover has been built mainly to cater to the Ambala-Chandigarh traffic. The bridge under area is poorly designed, as the road under the flyover turns to single lane while the same road before and after the flyover is two-lane, leading to a major chaos at times. The bridge was constructed by GMR constructions. There is no railway station of its own in Zirakpur. The nearest railway station is Chandigarh, which is around 8 km from here. For those traveling to the town by air, the nearest airport is situated in Chandigarh at around 5 km from here.
Zirakpur is the 'Wedding capital' of the region. About 80% of the wedding banquets and resorts of the Chandigarh tri-city are located in Zirakpur. Wedding fireworks in the sky are a routine occasion in the town.
The NHAI have made one of the longest flyovers of the regions passing through Zirakpur on Chandigarh Delhi highway. On the Zirakpur-Shimla highway, the railway over-bridge completed in 2011 has considerably improved the connectivity with Panchkula though it had overpassed many earlier deadlines due to various reasons. The Four laning of Zirakpur-Patiala road has been approved, but the actual work on the site has to start yet. The Aerocity Road will make a trip to Mohali even shorter and is expected to be completed by early 2012. The street lighting of the internal roads is quite good. Sewerage has been laid in 90% of the Zirakpur colonies and road carpeting has been done in most of the colonies. The rain water drainage system is yet to be developed for whole of the region. A sewerage treatment plant for this upcoming town is also on the cards.
Zirakpur has a number of small and medium sized hospitals catering to its primary health needs.Now there is a Hospital specially dedicated for Eye Care by the name of Ujjwal Eye Care. For the specialized health requirements, the town depends on the super speciality institutes in the region like the GMCH-32 Chandigarh, the PGIMER Chandigarh, Government Medical College, Patiala etc. The ambulance facility is available by dialing "108", this facility is provided by Sewa Ambulance. Dashmesh Orthopedics and Trauma Center, on Patiala highway, is another center with physiotherapy, X-ray, laboratory etc.
Zirakpur has a business school named Fountainhead School of Business. It also has some private schools, including St Joan School in Lohgarh. A few engineering colleges are located close by, including Chitkara Institute of Engineering and Technology, Swami Vivekanand College of Engineering, Gyan Sagar Medical College, Shaheed Udham Singh College of Engineering & Technology. Arc Spoken English &IELTS Institute ISO 9001-2008 Institute has also establish a branch of its language institute near patiala chowk on patiala road Zirakpur.Various schools in the town are
- Bhachpan School behind lucky dhaba new defence colony Zirakpur
- DPS Play school, Vip Road, Lohgarh
- Euro Kids, Green Enclave, Lohgarh
- Kendriya Vidhyalaya, K Area, Zirakpur
- St. Soldier Pb. Public School, Lohgarh, Zirakpur
- Mountview, Kalgidhar Enclave, Baltana
- Kendriya Vidyalya, High Ground, Zirakpur
- Maruti Suzuki Driving School, Tricity Autos, Zirakpur
- Saint Soldier Dhakoli
- Dikshant Dhakoli
- Gurukul Royale Estate Zirakpur
- Budha dal public school
- St. Joans Public School, Lohgarh
- The Nurtuary Preschool, Opposite Tricity Homes, Peer Muchalla (Adjoining Sector 20 Panchkula)
- Army Pre Primary School, K-Area Cantonment Zirakpur
Spoken English Institutes,IELTS,Vocational,computer and Language Institutes
- ARC Spoken English and IELTS institute ISO-9001-2008 near Lucky Dhaba above State Bank, Patiala chowk.
- Atech Academy - 1st Professionally Managed Institute on VIP Road, Zirakpur.
The sole idea behind the establishment of A-Tech is to provide unmatched learning experience to every knowledge seeker. Atech Academy is the product of syndicated effort of a team of experts with huge experience in their respective fields. Prime objective is to render quality services in the four aspects that play a major role in Education Industry: - Skill Development with Vocational Courses - Computer Education & Training - School Coaching - Competitions Preparation
- SAI Service Distance Education and Computer Accounts Institute
- PEG - Pioneer Education Group, SCO 21, 1st floor, Opp. Reebok showroom, Patiala Road, Zirakpur
A number of housing societies provide luxurious dwelling place in Zirakpur. Renowned builders and major players of real estate in the region have realized the potential of this town and are coming up with numerous world class projects. A testimony to this is Jaipuria Sunrise Apartments,Orbit Apartments,Nirmal Chaaya,Chandigarh Enclave, Alpine Residency,Panchsheel Enclave,Silver City, Adarsh Enclave, Shakti Enclave, Krishna Enclave, Royale Estate, New Generation Apartments and the Spangle Heights apartments.
With development of IT park in Chandigarh, demand for residential flats have increased in the area. This has escalated the costs of flats as well. Some new projects have started coming up on Ambala Road area. Panchkula Heights, Bollywood Heights and Sushma Uraban Views are few of them. But connectivity and narrow roads remains a problem in these areas and hence flats are less sold. Zirakpur has seen much faster development on Ambala road with new malls and commercial hotels starting up there. Maya Garden City is the upcoming luxurious apartments on Chandigarh - Ambala highway.
Temples and Gurudwaras
- Gurudwara Naada Sahib
- Gurudwara Nabha Sahib
- Gurudwara Bauli Sahib
- Gurudwara Bhudda Sahib
- Shiv Mandir, Green City
- Kali Mandir, Panchsheel Enclave
Issues that concern Zirakpur
The town is developing and there are plenty of issues that need to be addressed.
- 2014 - The bus stop for zirakpur has been shifted to a far location from the actual Zirakpur city leaving residents on the pity of auto drivers. The situation becomes more dreadful in the odd hours, making it difficult to move with family including children and ladies. Hope government officials see this as a problem and try to fix the issue with permanent solution rather delaying the solution of the problem.
- 2013 - There is acute problem of water loggin in Zirakpur, which has started to appear after the streets were laid down afresh without any consideration to the water flow.
- 2011 - The traffic jams under the Chandigarh-Ambala flyover There is only a single lane under the flyover, that needs to be widened. The worst affected stretch is the one between Patiala chowk and Kalka chowk where the footpaths are blocked with shopkeepers displaying their mercantile. The vehicles of customers and shopkeepers also remain parked on this stretch of road under the very eyes of Traffic Police. The situation is further wosened by stopping of busses there which should not be allowed at all.
- 2013: It is 2013 and the issue still remains. There is a lot of space wasted / unused under the bridge and around it. Please think of some ways to use it, maybe a parking lot will help.
- The Octroi post near the Hotel Ashoka is another reason for the chaos. Shift it elsewhere.
- 2013: Due to construction of service lanes, this is not a problem now.
- 2011 - Power cuts of hours at a stretch are very common
- 2013: Power cuts are still an issue.
- 2012 - Theft and robbery need to be addressed
- 2011 - The new 'expressway' to Shimla has dangerously located entries and exits, with no markings/boards leading to a very high risk of accidents.
- 2013: No action so far. Maybe they waiting for the death toll to reach a particular number before they act. Poor job Jaypee Associates.
- Proposal: The highway is 2 lane, while the fly-overs are three lane. The entries to the expressway can be located 'just before' the fly-over and the exits can be located 'just after' the fly-over. This would ensure that you do not bump into traffic lanes while exiting / entering the expressway.
- 2012 - The installation of cement tiles on the roads instead of coal-tar, is beneficial to the contractors. But studies have found that it has made the rides more jerky and un-smooth. The risk of accidents also increases esp in rainy season.
- 2012 - The underground water is fast depleting every year, the town need to look to some alternate water supply for the long term.
- 2013: But over ground water is not a problem at all, with all the water logging even at the slightest hint of rains you get plenty of water in Zirakpur logged on the roads.
- 2013 - The traffic problem is now at its worst. Jams at the Patiala chowk are painfully common these days.
- Long term solution: Widen the small road at Patiala chowk going towards Baltana; make it the main road for going to Panchkula/Shimla. The stretch between Panchkula chowk and the point where 'this' new road will be used primarily for the bus-stand, which is coming up and will pose its own problems in near future.
- 2013 - There is a lot of room for widening of the roads ( both sides ) below the Chandigarh-Ambala highway but no action has been taken by NHAI or GMR. This will help in solving the traffic problems to some extent.
- Thefts in Zirakpur
- 16 March 2006 : Theft reported
- Power cuts in Zirakpur
- 24 June 2012: 12 hours, including whole night cut of 8 hours on the intervening night of 24-25
Traffic Problem :-
- Wrong side driving is a menace, inviting accidents.
- No lighting from start of flyover till McDonald's, one of major cause of accidents.
- No barricades between divider from start of flyover going towards Ambala . An open invitation of major accident
- No action on widening of road from Patiala chowk to Panchkula Chowk ... creates traffic chaos.
- Parking of cars on road i.e. no proper arrangement of parking for the market on NH1.
Construction activities on VIP road is creating a mess, all building material is scattered on VIP road, ask for traffic chaos and accidents.
Proposals to solve some issues
- To prevent accidents at the entry / exit on Simla highway
The highway is basically 2 lane each side, and the flyovers are 3 lane. This means if we 'restrict' all the openings 'before' the flyovers for entry and all the openings 'after' the flyovers for exit, there will be no risk of coming in the way of traffic coming from behind.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Chandigarh airport. Aai.aero (2011-12-16). Retrieved on 2012-04-22.
- Sewa Ambulance launched in Amritsar – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2011-04-04). Retrieved on 2012-04-22.
- Zirakpur traffic: Promise not working – Times Of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-22.
- Power continues to play hooky – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2011-12-27). Retrieved on 2012-04-22.
- Car snatched at gunpoint. Indian Express (2011-01-30). Retrieved on 2012-04-22.
- 2013 - 1) Wrong design of Zirakpur flyover 2) road below flyover which has scope of widening but due to any reason is not widened as of now 3) Wrong side driving is a major issue with no action taken by traffic police 4) security issue