Ziv Television Programs
Ziv Television Programs, Inc. was an American television syndication and production company, producer of popular syndicated TV programs in the 1950s.
The company was founded by Frederick Ziv in 1948 and was a subsidiary of his successful radio syndication business, which had begun in 1937. The company produced pre-recorded programs and sold them directly to local television stations. The television syndication service proved lucrative during the late 1940s and early 1950s, as local television stations wanted to fill their schedules during hours outside of "prime time". By 1955, Ziv was producing more than 250 half-hour TV episodes a year.
As the Big Three television networks began offering programs outside of prime time, Ziv's popularity began to decline. The market for first-run syndicated programming began to dwindle, and the company began to produce programs which aired over the networks in 1956. In 1960 the company was purchased by United Artists and merged with UA's own television company to become Ziv-United Artists. In 1962, the name reverted to United Artists Television after UA phased out the name Ziv Productions.
Today, most of the rights to Ziv's TV shows are distributed by MGM Television. Some have fallen into the public domain.
ZIV International was an unrelated producer and distributor of Americanised anime in the 1970s and 1980s.
Shows produced or distributed by Ziv
This television-related list is incomplete; you can help by .
- Acapulco ZIV-UA, 1961, starring Ralph Taeger & James Coburn (a brief reworking of Klondike)
- Bat Masterson ZIV-UA, 1958–1961, starring Gene Barry
- Bold Venture ZIV, 1959–1960, starring Dane Clark and Joan Marshall (adapted from Ziv's 1950–1952 radio program starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall)
- Boston Blackie ZIV, 1951–1953, starring Kent Taylor (adapted from Ziv's earlier radio version)
- Dial 999 ZIV, 1958–1959, starring Robert Beatty (this was a co-production with Britain's ABC, not to be confused with the US ABC)
- Dr. Christian ZIV, 1956–1957, starring MacDonald Carey (a "sequel" to the original 1937–1954 radio series starring Jean Hersholt)
- Easy Aces, ZIV, 1949–1950, starring Goodman Ace and Jane Ace (adapted from their previous radio show)
- The Everglades ZIV-UA-Ivan Tors, 1961–1962, starring Ron Hayes
- Harbor Command ZIV, 1957–1958, starring Wendell Corey
- Harbormaster ZIV, 1957–1958, starring Barry Sullivan & Paul Burke
- Highway Patrol ZIV, 1955–1959, starring Broderick Crawford
- Home Run Derby ZIV, 1959–1960, hosted by Mark Scott
- I Led Three Lives ZIV, 1953–1956, starring Richard Carlson
- Keyhole ZIV-UA, 1962, Semi-Documentary series.
- King of Diamonds ZIV-UA, 1961–1962, starring Broderick Crawford
- Klondike ZIV-UA, 1960–1961, starring Ralph Taeger & James Coburn
- Lee Marvin Presents Lawbreaker ZIV-UA, 1963–1964, Semi-documentary dramatizations of real cases hosted by Lee Marvin.
- Lock-Up ZIV, 1959–1961, starring MacDonald Carey
- Mackenzie's Raiders ZIV, 1958–1959, starring Richard Carlson
- The Man Called X ZIV, 1956–1957, starring Barry Sullivan (adapted from the radio series starring Herbert Marshall)
- Martin Kane, Private Investigator ZIV, 1957–1958, starring William Gargan (adapted from the original NBC radio and TV series)
- Meet Corliss Archer ZIV, 1954–1955, starring Ann Baker (adapted from the original CBS radio and earlier TV show)
- Men into Space ZIV-Ivan Tors, 1959–1960, starring William Lundigan
- Men of Annapolis ZIV, 1957–1958, Naval anthology series
- Miami Undercover ZIV-UA, 1961, starring Lee Bowman (produced by Aubrey Schenck and Howard W. Koch)
- Mr. District Attorney ZIV, 1954–1955, starring David Brian (adapted from the original NBC radio and earlier ABC TV series)
- Ripcord ZIV-UA-Ivan Tors, 1961–1963, starring Larry Pennell & Ken Curtis
- Science Fiction Theatre ZIV-Ivan Tors, 1955–1957, anthology series starring Truman Bradley.
- Sea Hunt ZIV-Ivan Tors, 1958–1961, starring Lloyd Bridges
- Target ZIV, 1957–1958, anthology series hosted by Adolphe Menjou.
- The Aquanauts/Malibu Run ZIV-UA-Ivan Tors, 1960–1961, starring Keith Larsen, Jeremy Slate, & Ron Ely
- The Case of the Dangerous Robin ZIV, 1960–1961, starring Rick Jason
- The Cisco Kid ZIV, 1950–1956, starring Duncan Renaldo & Leo Carrillo (adapted from Ziv's original radio edition)
- The Eddie Cantor Comedy Theatre ZIV, 1955, starring Eddie Cantor
- The Man and the Challenge ZIV, 1959–1960, starring George Nader
- The Rough Riders ZIV, 1958–1959, starring Kent Taylor
- The Unexpected ZIV, 1952, Suspense anthology hosted by Herbert Marshall.
- This Man Dawson ZIV, 1959–1960, starring Keith Andes
- Tombstone Territory ZIV, 1957–1960, starring Pat Conway & Richard Eastham
- The Troubleshooters ZIV, 1959–1960, starring Keenan Wynn
- Waterfront ZIV, 1954–1955, starring Preston Foster (co-produced by Roland Reed)
- West Point Story ZIV, 1956–1957, Military anthology series.
- Your Favorite Story ZIV, 1953–1954, anthology series hosted by Adolphe Menjou (adapted from Ziv's 1946–199 radio series, Favorite Story, hosted by Ronald Colman)
- Anderson, Christopher (2007). "ZIV TELEVISION PROGRAMS, INC.". The Museum of Broadcast Communications. Retrieved 2008-08-08.