|Born||1980 (age 33–34)
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia (B.A.)
McGill University (M.S.)
|Occupation||Television Personality and Producer|
Early life and education
She received her B.A. degree from the University of British Columbia in psychology and sociology. At McGill University, she graduated with an M.S. in communications and also majored in psychology.
After university, she worked as a reporter, and as a Senior Producer for the news-portal Orientation Global Networks in New York.
After ZeD, Tong moved to CTV to host the new television series Island Escapes, which premiered on January 6, 2006. Critic Denise Duguay called her a "lively and game travel host". In this position, she visited many exotic island locations, and highlighted the attractions of places such as New Caledonia, Bedarra Island and Fiji.
For three years, Tong co-hosted Daily Planet with iconic science journalist Jay Ingram. When Ingram retired from the program in June 2011, Tong was joined by current co-host Dan Riskin and since, the show has generated record ratings as it completed its 18th season on Canadian television. Tong also writes and produces Ziyology,a weekly column looking at wonder and science.
Tong has travelled to more than 60 countries. In addition to speaking fluent English and Cantonese, she is working on her French, Mandarin and Arabic.
Tong serves on the Board of Directors of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Canada.
- 2004–2005: ZeD host
- 2006: "Island Escape" host
- 2007: "Leading Edge" host, Wired Science host and producer
- 2008-9: NOVA reporter, co-host
- 2008–present: Daily Planet co-host
- Denise Duguay, "Island tour too rushed," Leader Post, Regina, Saskatchewan: December 16, 2005, pg. F.3.
- Malcolm Parry, "Young soprano shows her bombshell style," The Vancouver Sun, December 23, 2006, pg. B.4.
- "Mixed Asian Celebrities"
- Dana Gee, "ZeD on CBC a place for new ideas," The Province, Vancouver, B.C.: October 29, 2004, pg. B.9.
- "About Ziya Tong", Daily Planet TV series website.
- PBS, "Wired Science," URL accessed 27 October 2008.
- CBC Television, "Member Profile: Ziya Tong," Zed Gallery, URL accessed 12 March 2007.
- "Great, watchable north: The 20th Gemini Awards gala honours the best in Canadian TV," National Post, November 19, 2005, pg. TO.42.F.
- "The Leading Edge" (PDF). Press release. Knowledge Network. December 2007.
- Ziya Tong, "The New Weapon in the Border Guard Arsenal: the Dreaded Google Search" Wired Magazine: Issue 15.10: September 25, 2007 http://www.wired.com/politics/security/magazine/15-10/st_google
- Ziya Tong, "Correlations" http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/blogs/ztong.html
- CNW Group - Discovery Channel": January 26, 2009 http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2009/26/c2670.html
- Ziya Tong is Daily Planet's new co-host
- Sikka, Nisha, "People to Watch: Ziya Tong speaks about 25@25", Schema Magazine, January 2010.
- " "Ziya Tong: Sky Cranes and Electric Brains, "City Life" October 2, 2012
- " "Daily Planet host talks CES-2013", The GATE January 15, 2013