||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Born||1948 (age 65–66)
Utica, New York
|Occupation||Senior Analyst with Zogby Analytics|
John Zogby (born 1948) founder of the "Zogby Poll" and the Zogby companies, is an American public opinion pollster and author. His polling is best known for both phone polling and interactive, Internet-based polling. Zogby is currently Senior Analyst with Zogby Analytics.
Zogby grew up in Utica, New York, the son of Lebanese Catholic immigrants. His brother, James Zogby, is the founder of the Arab American Institute, and is also an independent pollster and Senior Analyst with Zogby Analytics.
Zogby received a Bachelor's degree in history from Le Moyne College in 1970 and a Master's degree in history from Syracuse University in 1973. He taught history and political science for 24 years. A trustee of Le Moyne College, Zogby received the Alumni Award in June, 2000. In 2005, he was awarded Honorary Doctorate Degrees from State University of New York and the Graduate School of Union University. In 2009, Zogby received an Honorary Doctorate Degree from the College of St. Rose. In 2008 he was awarded the Chancellor's Distinguished Fellows Award from the University of California Irvine.
An interpreter of the political scene, Zogby had a brief stint as an aspiring politician himself in 1981, when he ran unsuccessfully for Mayor of Utica, New York. He describes himself as a Democrat, while his polling firm is "independent and nonpartisan."
- Zogby International
Zogby founded the polling firm Zogby International in 1984. Since then, he has conducted polls and focus groups around the world, though he has gained the most publicity for his polls of United States presidential elections.
He first gained attention in the 1992 presidential election when he released a survey showing the New York State Governor Mario Cuomo would lose in his home state to incumbent President George H. W. Bush.
In 1998, Zogby began developing an interactive online polling methodology using a massive database of respondents that closely represents the national population at large.
Zogby has been a major figure in polling Arab attitudes toward the United States, particularly in regard to Lebanon.
In January 2010 a majority interest in Zogby International was sold to IBOPE Inteligência, a subsidiary of the IBOPE group, a Brazilian multinational company specializing in media, market and opinion research. Zogby was to be Chairman of the Board, with a nine year option to sell his interest if he so chose.
As of January 2012, differing as to the direction of the company, Zogby sold his remaining interest.
In February 2012, Zogby joined with his son, Jonathan Zogby, and a group of former senior staff members from Zogby International at a new company, Zogby Analytics, as Senior Analyst.
Other activities and Awards
Zogby hosted a weekly show called "Zogby's Real America," which debuted on XM Satellite Radio's POTUS 08 Channel 130 in September 2007. The show provided commentary and analysis on fresh Zogby polling data though the presidential election in November 2008.
He has served on the advisory council for Bio-Technology for the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), and as a Commissioner on the Center for Strategic and International Studies Commission on Smart Power, after having previously served on the Congressional-created Advisory Group on Public Diplomacy for the Arab and Muslim World.
In 2014 John Zogby was awarded the One To World Fulbright Award for Global Understanding.
- Zogby, John (1990). Arab America Today: A Demographic Profile of Arab Americans (First edition ed.). Washington, D.C.: Arab American Institute. OCLC 24357334.
- Zogby, John (2003). Public opinion and private accounts: measuring risk and confidence in rethinking social security (First edition ed.). Washington, D.C.: Cato Institute. OCLC 52641051.
- Zogby, John (2006). Iran versus America? (First edition ed.). Utica, NY: Zogby International. OCLC 71340360.
- Zogby, John (2008). The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream (First edition ed.). New York: Random House. ISBN 978-1-4000-6450-2.
- http://www.zogbyanalytics.com Zogby Analytics
- "About Zogby International". Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Meet The Team". Zogby Analytics. Zogby Analytics. 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Zogby International. 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- "Election 2006—Zogby Polling on the Mark in Tumultuous Midterms". Zogby International. 17 March 2006. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- "http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=1453". XM Satellite Radio (PRNewswire). 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- Commission on Smart Power (2008). "John Zogby - Biography". Center for Strategic and International Studies. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- "One To World". Retrieved Received May 20, 2014.
- Zogby Analytics
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- John Zogby at the Internet Movie Database
- Works by or about John Zogby in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- John Zogby at the Notable Names Database