19 July 1981 |
Sony BMG Africa
Zolani Mahola (born 19 July 1981) is a South African singer and actor. Since 2002, she has been the lead singer of the South African music group Freshlyground.
Mahola was born in Bhisho, capital of the province of Eastern Cape, South Africa. She grew up near the city of Port Elizabeth, and attended Trinity High School (which later amalgamated into St Dominic's Priory School).
She worked as receptionist at Makro during weekends and school holidays. She grew up on Ntshekisa Street, a long and busy street in New Brighton, a township on the outskirts of Port Elizabeth. She stayed with her dad and younger sister between 1999 and 2001. In 2011, Zolani and Freshlyground gave a free concert on Ntshekisa Street as part of their 10th birthday tour.
After studying drama at the University of Cape Town, she was cast in the lead role in the television drama Tsha-Tsha, which aired on SABC 1. Mahola voiced the character of Zoë in the animated feature film, Zambezia (2012), and also recorded the song "Get Up" for the original motion picture soundtrack.
Mahola and six other musicians formed Freshlyground in Cape Town in 2002.
At the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Mahola, with Freshlyground and Shakira, performed "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" in the opening and closing ceremonies. "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" was the official song of FIFA World Cup in 2010.
At the Glamour Women of the Year Awards 2011, held on 25 July in Johannesburg, Mahola was among eight women honoured by the South African division of Glamour. Glamour declared both her and her bandmate Kyla-Rose Smith "The Icons" of South African women in 2011.
- Thompson, Sharon (15 May 2007). "Zolani Mahola: the face of fresh". Eastern Cape Madiba Action. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- Snaparazzi Gallery
- Freshlyground. "Freshlyground South Africa 2011 Gig Guide". Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Zolani Mahola - TVSA.com
- TVSA Actor Profile
- Zambezia (2011) |a National Film and Video Foundation
- http://www.all4women.co.za/entertainment/celebrity-gossip/freshlyground-s-zolani-gives-birth-to-baby-boy ZAlebs can confirm that Freshlyground’s Zolani Mahola has given birth to a baby boy. They are yet to release his name. Zolani gave birth on the eighth of the eighth at 8.08 pm...
- Freshlyground: Südafrikas populärste Band
- Zolani Mahola of Freshlyground - Times LIVE
- Zolani Mahola, Sängerin "Darf ich mir die Fragen selber stellen?"
- Shakira and Freshlyground sing Official FIFA World Cup song
- Groger, Jill (28 July 2011). "Glamour women". The New Age (TNA Media). Retrieved 10 August 2011.