Zombie Holocaust DVD cover
|Directed by||Marino Girolami|
|Written by||Fabrizio De Angelis
Alexandra Delli Colli
|Music by||Nico Fidenco|
|Edited by||Alberto Moriani|
|May 7th 1980|
In New York City a hospital worker is found to have been devouring bodies in the morgue. Morgue assistant and anthropology expert Lori (Alexandra Delli Colli) discovers he was from the Asian Molucca islands where she grew up. Dr. Peter Chandler (Ian McCulloch) investigates, and he and Lori discover that similar corpse mutilations have occurred in other city hospitals, where immigrants from this region are working.
Peter leads an expedition to the islands to investigate, where he liaises with Doctor Obrero. Included are his assistant George, George's eager journalist girlfriend Susan, Lori, local boatsman Molotto assigned by Obrero, and three guides. The crew are hunted by cannibals and zombies, the latter created by the sinister Doctor Obrero who is experimenting with corpses.
Lori is accepted as queen of the cannibals, and sends them off against the mad scientist and his zombie army.
- Ian McCulloch as Dr. Peter Chandler
- Alexandra Delli Colli as Lori Ridgeway
- Sherry Buchanan as Susan Kelly
- Peter O'Neal as George Harper
- Donald O'Brien as Dr. Obrero/Dr. Butcher (US version)
- Dakar as Molotto
- Walter Patriarca as Dr. Dreylock
Following the success of Zombi 2 (1979) and Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals (1977), producer Fabrizio De Angelis came up with the idea of cashing in on both films' subjects at the same time. He reused the basic story of Zombi 2 and added elements of cannibal films to come up with Zombie Holocaust. The film depicted zombies and cannibals clashing on a south-east Asian island. The zombies of this film physically resemble those of Zombi 2 but they do not consume flesh. In this film it is the island native people that hunt, kill, and consume humans.
Similarities to Zombi 2
- Actors Ian McCulloch and Dakar appear in nearly identical roles
- In both films the action begin with evidence of cannibalism in a New York mortuary, which the character played by McCulloch begins to investigate, leading to his journey to a tropical island where most of the story takes place.
- The climax in both movies features the zombies perishing in a hospital/church fire.
- Some shooting locations are the same (including the church building).
- Zombie Holocaust reuses footage from Zombi 2, including burning church and the camera panning across the lake with the landrover driving along the side of it.
- In some markets, Zombie Holocaust was released as Zombie 3.
The DVD was released on May 21, 2002 by Shriek Show. It can be purchased separately or in a triple feature package. The Zombie Pack, Vol. 2 contains Zombie Holocaust, Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror, and Flesheater. It was released on Blu-ray for the first time by Shriek Show on 28 June 2011 in USA.
The film was released uncut on UK DVD and VHS on January 29, 2001 by Stonevision. It was reissued on the Dead of Night label in 2004 and again in 2010 by Beyond Terror.
Zombi Holocaust was re-edited for U.S. release as Doctor Butcher, M.D. This version contained a 2½ minute sequence from an unfinished American film, and a different music score. Certain scenes were also re-edited for pacing reasons. This version also contains a 5 minute sequence presented on Shriek Show's DVD as a deleted scene. The deleted scene also appears in certain foreign prints, one of which runs 86 minutes.