|Directed by||John Carney, Kieran Carney|
|Produced by||Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, John McDonnell|
|Written by||John Carney, Kieran Carney|
|Music by||Brian Byrne|
|Edited by||Paul Mullen|
|Release dates||June 2009|
Zonad is a film by John Carney and Kieran Carney that premiered in July 2009 at the Galway Film Fleadh with the directors in attendance. The film went to general release in Ireland March 19, 2010.
A story about an escaped convict who fools a whole Irish village into thinking he's a visitor from outer space. Zonad, a strange visitor comes to the town of Ballymoran, is taken in by the Cassidy family and accepted by the locals as an extraterrestrial. His comfortable existence is spoiled when Bonad arrives to replace him.
Unreleased short film version
In 2003, John Carney co-wrote and co-directed an earlier version of Zonad, a short film, with Kieran Carney and Tom Hall. Starring Simon Delaney and Cillian Murphy, Zonad was low-budget and was never released. Murphy played the role of Guy Hendrickson, later played by Rory Keenan.
- Simon Delaney as Zonad, Liam Murphy.
- David Pearse as Bonad, Francis O'Connor. Bonad is Zonad's superior officer.
- Geoff Minogue as Dick Cassidy
- Donna Dent as Mary Cassidy
- Janice Byrne as Jenny Cassidy
- Kevin Maher as Jimmy Cassidy
- Rory Keenan as Guy Hendrickson
- David Murray as Benson, Guy Hendrickson's loyal manservant.
- Don Wycherley as a police sergeant
It was filmed in Avoca, Co Wicklow, with many of the outdoor scenes filmed in the garden of Kilqueeny House in the village. The interior bar scenes were filmed in The Harbour Bar in Bray, Co. Wicklow, which was also used in Neil Jordan's Breakfast on Pluto.
The Irish Times wrote "We laughed like the proverbial drain". Variety writer John Anderson describe it as a "nutroll of a comedy" made from equal parts Pleasantville, The Quiet Man and the old Carry On films. 
Awards and recognition
- Dagny (2009-07-10). "Galway Film Fleadh: John Carney’s Zonad".
- Donald Clarke (2010-01-22). "Reel News: Carney set to direct new film". The Irish Times.
Zonad, the bizarre low-budget comedy Carney directed with brother Kieran, has been scheduled for release on March 19th.
- Adam Dawtrey (2007-08-17). "Once director remains close to roots: Carney to make Zonad before Fox's House". Variety,. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Paul Byrne. "Zonad - Behind the scenes with director John Carney". Movies.ie.
- "‘Zonad’ Crash Lands into Irish Cinemas".
- "Culchies vs aliens". The Irish Times. 2009-07-31.
- John Anderson (2009-07-16). "Zonad". Variety. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Zonad". Evening Herald. 2010-03-19.
- Pamela Newenham (2010-01-11). "Nominations for Iftas announced". The Irish Times.
- "Irish Film & Television Awards Winners Announced". 2010-02-21.
- Official website
- Zonad at AllMovie
- Zonad at the Internet Movie Database
- Zonad (2003) short film at the Internet Movie Database
- Zonad at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article related to an Irish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|