|Leader of Opposition|
2 June 2013
|Preceded by||Branko Crvenkovski|
8 October 1974 |
|Political party||Social Democratic Union|
|Alma mater||University of Buenos Aires|
Zoran Zaev (Macedonian: Зоран Заев; born 8 October 1974 in Strumica) is the political leader of the Social Democratic Union of Macedonia (SDSM) and the leader of opposition in the Republic of Macedonia. He is also mayor of the Strumica Municipality re-elected in the Macedonian local elections, 2013. He was elected as president of SDSM by receiving the majority of votes on the last 14th Macedonian Social Democratic Congress, held on 2 June 2013. In his political career he has been a member of the Macedonian Assembly from 2003 to 2005, in 2005 he was firstly elected as mayor of Strumica, and in 2008 he was put as the vice president of the Social Democratic Union of Macedonia.
Zoran Zaev is a member of the SDSM from the year 1996. For two mandates he has been elected as the president of the regional administration of the party in the Strumica region. For manipulation of his present state for the construction of the city mall Global, he and five of his coworkers were arrested and imprisoned. The case ended after the abolition signed by the then-President Branko Crvenkovski, with whom Zoran Zaev and his associates were released from prison.
On 1 September 2008 he was placed in the position vice president of the party. On the 2009 local elections Zaev was elected for his second mandate as mayor of Strumica. In 2013 after Branko Crvenkovski stepped down from the leader's position in SDSM, Zaev was elected as the party's president. In February 2015, Zaev accused Macedonian prime minister Nikola Gruevski of wiretapping and illegally spying at least 20,000 people. The government, on the other hand, accused Zaev of blackmailing Gruevski and detained five people in connection with that case.
- BrifMK - Zoran Zaev: The new Leader of Opposition (2 June 2013) (Macedonian)
- State Election Committee of Macedonia
- Official website of the Social Democratic Union - Archive: Zoran Zaev is the new President of SDSM (Macedonian)
- President Zoran Zaev's page on the website of the SDSM (Macedonian)
- Official website of SDSM - Strumica
- BBC Macedonian - Archive: Zaev released from prison. (17 July 2008) (Macedonian)
- Vecer - Zoran Zaev, Vice President. (1 September 2008) (Macedonian)
- Radio Free Liberty/Radio Europe – Macedonian Opposition Leader Accuses Government Of Wiretapping (9 February 2015)