||This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (February 2013)|
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Origin||Newcastle upon Tyne, UK|
|Genres||Dark ambient, post-industrial, industrial, ambient|
|Labels||Charrm, Red Rhino Records, Staalplaat, DOVentertainment, Soleilmoon, Mute Records|
|Associated acts||Reformed Faction, Rapoon, Dead Voices on Air|
|Past members||Andy Eardley
Paolo Di Paolo
Zoviet France (also known as :$OVIET:FRANCE:, Soviet France, :Zoviet-France: and latterly usually written as :Zoviet*France:) is a music group from Newcastle upon Tyne in north east England. While often dissonant and made of industrial textures, their music also falls into the ambient music category. Formed in 1980, and remaining largely anonymous, the group has had a number of members; presently it consists of co-founder Ben Ponton and Mark Warren. Former members included Neil Ramshaw, Peter Jensen, Robin Storey (who now records as Rapoon), Lisa Hale, Paolo Di Paolo, Mark Spybey (who now records as Dead Voices on Air) and Andy Eardley. In 2005 Storey, Spybey and Eardley formed a new group, Reformed Faction.
|1982||[untitled]||Red Rhino Records|
|1983||Norsch||Red Rhino Records|
|1983||Mohnomishe||Red Rhino Records|
|1984||Eostre||Red Rhino Records|
|1985||Popular Soviet Songs and Youth Music||Red Rhino Records/Singing Ringing|
|1985||Gris||No Man's Land|
|1986||Misfits, Loony Tunes and Squalid Criminals||Red Rhino Records|
|1986||Gesture Signal Threat||Red Rhino Records|
|1987||A Flock of Rotations||Red Rhino Records|
|1987||Assault and Mirage||Red Rhino Records|
|1988||Shouting at the Ground||Red Rhino Records|
|1990||Just an Illusion||Staalplaat|
|1990||Look Into Me||Charrm|
|1991||Shadow, Thief of the Sun||DOVentertainment|
|1993||Collusion||Mute Records/Soleilmoon in the (US)|
|1993||What Is Not True||Charrm|
|2000||The Decriminalisation of Country Music||Tramway|
|2005||Music for a Spaghetti Western||Klanggalerie|
|2008||shteirlel||King Worldwide via alt.vinyl|
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (February 2013)|
- Loud Visual Noises: film by Stan Brakhage (US, 1987). Includes an excerpt from Cair Camouflet from the album Look into Me. Released on the video 4 Sounds Films by Stan Brakhage (Joel Haertling, 1990).
- Transients #1: video production by Mark Mushet (Suture Productions, Canada, 1991). Includes excerpts from the album Shadow, Thief of the Sun.
- (untitled): video production by the band (UK, 1991). A promotional video for the album Shadow, Thief of the Sun produced for television broadcast only.
- T-City: A video production by Karas (Japan, 1993). Includes excerpts from the album Shadow, Thief of the Sun.
- En Scooters Sous Les Mers: film by Jacques Cousteau, soundtrack commissioned by Ian Helliwell for the Soundtracks for Super-8 film programme (UK, 1998).
- Tyneside Journey: film by Ravi Deepres (UK, 2000).
- (untitled): video production by the band (Nuit Et Brouillard, France, 2001), included on the Deadly Actions Live Retrospective 1994-1996 video compilation of bands that performed at Deadly Actions festival in France.
- Spadeadam: video production by Louise K Wilson (UK, 2003).
- The Shop Floor: video production by Francis Gomila (UK, 2003), from the album Digilogue.
- Euphony: video production by Louise K Wilson (UK, 2005).
- Tremor: film by Ravi Deepres (UK, 2005).
- Runner: film by Ravi Deepres and Michael Baig Clifford (UK, 2006).
- Deadly Cargo: film by Camcorder Guerillas (UK, 2008).
Notable performances 
- 29 February 2008: European premiere performance of John Cage's Variations VII with Atau Tanaka and Matt Wand, AV Festival, Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead, UK.
- Interview with Brent Bambury, CBC Radio, 2 May 1991
- "Variations VII". AV Festival. Archived from the original on 2008-03-06. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- "JOHN CAGE 29 February - 2 March 2008 Variations VII". Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- discogs.com Zoviet France on discogs.com, a community-built database of music information
- Jim's Music Pages: :zoviet*france, a fan site with discography
- The Edge discographies - :zoviet*france: a fan site with discography and information
-  an academic essay on Zoviet France and Jacques Derrida by Kane X. Faucher