Zvi Elpeleg (born 1926 in Poland) is an Israeli academic, currently a senior researcher at the Dayan Institute, part of Tel Aviv University. He served as a colonel in the Israeli army, and later received an ambassadorial appointment. He is an academic and author.
In the mid-1950s, he was the military governor of the Triangle and later the military governor of Gaza from 1956 to 1957. He became Israel's first military governor of the West Bank in 1967. He would repeat the role during the Israeli occupation of Fayid in Egypt in 1973, and again in occupied South Lebanon in 1982.
He entered academia as an Arabist and, since 1972, he has been attached, as senior researcher, to the Dayan Institute He has authored a biography of Haj Amin al-Husseini, which is considered one of the standard works on the man.
Zvi Elpeleg serves as Turkey-Israel Friendship Association chairman and has been appointed as Turkey's honorary consul to Tel Aviv by the former Turkish president Süleyman Demirel  in gratitude for the role he played in overseeing Israeli IDF Aid for Turkish Earthquake Victims in August 1999.
- Herz, Dietmar; Jetzlsperger, Christian; Ahlborn, Kai, eds. (2003). Der israelisch-palästinensische Konflikt: Hintergründe, Dimensionen und Perspektiven. Stuttgart: Franz Steiner Verlag. p. 227. ISBN 3-515-08259-X.
- Teitelbaum, Sheldon (January 2000). "One on One: Portrait of Michal Snunit". Hasassah Magazine.
- Elpeleg, Zvi (2002). "Respect their philosophy of survival (end note bio)". Bitterlemons.org / Media monitors.
- Fisk, Robert (2001-06-01). "Obituary: Faisal Husseini". The Independent (London).
- Nachmani, Amikam (2003). Turkey: Facing a New Millennium : Coping With Intertwined Conflicts. Manchester University Press. p. 209. ISBN 0-7190-6370-1.
- Zvi Elpeleg, The Grand Mufti: Haj Amin Al-Hussaini, Founder of the Palestinian National Movement, Frank Cass Publishers, 1991. ISBN 0-7146-4100-6.
- "Today's Zaman". Today's Zaman. 2006.
- "Israeli IDF Aid for Turkish Earthquake Victims". Israeli Foreign Ministry. 1999.
- Zvi Elpeleg, Why was 'Independent Palestine' Never Created in 1948 ?, published in The Jerusalem Quarterly, 50, Spring 1989, retrieved from Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, January 6, 2008.
|This biographical article about an Israeli historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|