Side view of the skull.
Articulation of the mandible. Lateral aspect.
The zygomatic arch or cheek bone is formed by the zygomatic process of temporal bone (a bone extending forward from the side of the skull, over the opening of the ear) and the temporal process of the zygomatic bone (the side of the cheekbone), the two being united by an oblique suture (zygomaticotemporal suture); the tendon of the Temporalis passes medial to the arch to gain insertion into the coronoid process of the mandible. The jugal point is the point at the anterior end of the upper border of the zygomatic arch where the masseteric and maxillary edges meet at an angle. The jugal point is the anterior end of upper border of the zygomatic arch where it meets the process of the zygomatic bone.
The zygomatic process of the temporal arises by two roots:
- an anterior, directed inward in front of the mandibular fossa, where it expands to form the articular tubercle.
- a posterior, which runs backward above the external acoustic meatus and is continuous with the supramastoid crest.
The term zygomatic derives from the Greek ζύγωμα zygōma meaning "bolt, bar", derived from ζυγο- "yoke, join". The Greek word was already used with this anatomical sense by Galen (2.437, 746) in the 2nd century AD. The zygomatic arch is occasionally referred to as the zygoma, but this term usually refers to the zygomatic bone or occasionally the zygomatic process.
- This article uses anatomical terminology; for an overview, see anatomical terminology.
- Herring, Susan W.; Mucci, Robert J. (1991). "In vivo strain in cranial sutures: The zygomatic arch". Journal of Morphology 207 (3): 225–239. doi:10.1002/jmor.1052070302. ISSN 0362-2525.
- Abul-Hassan HS, von Drasek Ascher G, Acland RD (January 1986). "Surgical anatomy and blood supply of the fascial layers of the temporal region". Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 77 (1): 17–28. doi:10.1097/00006534-198601000-00004. PMID 3941846.
- Zygomatic+arch at eMedicine Dictionary
- lesson1 at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University) (latskullitems)
- Anatomy diagram: 34257.000-1 at Roche Lexicon - illustrated navigator, Elsevier