Map of businesses in Sunee Plaza June 2010
Sunee Plaza is an area in Pattaya known for gay nightlife. It is just off Soi V.C., which intersects Second Road in south Pattaya. It is built around two parallel streets, with a cross-linking street. All the buildings in the plaza are owned by Madame Sunee, a Thai national, and are leased to the various businesses. In the past, Sunee Plaza had been referred to as "the heart of the extreme city."; however in recent years, the Plaza hosts only a few bars. As of 2019, Most of the gay life in Pattaya has now relocated to Jomtien Complex.
The first gay bar at Sunee Plaza was open in 1996 and carried a name Crazy Pub. Soon behind it Sunee Plaza Bar opened. Topman Nightclub was the first gogo bar (now  at that building the Irish pub and hotel Jazz is located). In 2010 in Sunee Plaza more than 50 institutions focused on LGBT including beer bars, go-go bars, host bars cafes, restaurants and budget hotels. Sunee Plaza at that time boasted the largest collection of gay venues in one location in Thailand. As of 2019, the quantity of gay establishments in Sunee Plaza has decreased significantly. Now there are fewer than a dozen beer bars, a few restaurants, and only one hotel. Additional services includes small shops, hairdressing salons, taxi services, travel agencies, and a few restaurants. The main reasons for closing gay institutions in Pattaya:
- toughening of business rules in Thailand in general after the military junta came to power in 2014;
- city administration desire to improve the image of Pattaya as a family destination;
- competition from online dating mobile apps;
- Recent influx of Arab-owned businesses on Soi 17 and in the Sunee Plaza area;
- rental increases by the owner of Sunee Plaza, Madame Sunee.
The police for conducting expeditious checks regularly Sunee Plaza institutions. In July, 2008, July, 2010 and March, 2013 during raids underage males involved in gogo bars as dancers were found. During raid in July, 2008 one of the caught minors was only 8 years old. By results of conducting raids in July, 2008, October, 2009, January, 2011 forbidden narcotic substances are found in blood of bar’s staff.
- Duthel, Heinz (2018). My Ladyboy Date: Give love a chance. BoD – Books on Demand. p. 21. ISBN 9783746064253.
- "Purple Roofs Travel Newsletter: October 2009 - Sunee Plaza, Pattaya, Thailand". www.purpleroofs.com. Purple Roofs. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Naven, Daniel (13 October 2013). "Guide Fot The Hottest Gay Night Life In Pattaya". The iTravel Channel. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Gay Pattaya – Gay Pattaya Guide". earthgayguide.com. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Somsak, Khun (10 April 2013). "Sunee Plaza in Pattaya: Ein beliebter Treffpunkt für Gays › Thailand Aktuell". www.thailandaktuell.com (in German). Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Beer bars in Sunee Plaza". Sunee Plaza Official website. Archived from the original on October 17, 2011.
- "Sunee Plaza – the BIG secret". Thai-Spice magazine. September 14, 2010. Archived from the original on April 17, 2011.
- "Sunee Plaza - gay district in Pattaya". GayRove.com. 21 February 2019. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Underage Bar Workers As Toung As 8 Years Old". forum.thaivisa.com. 26 July 2008. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Underage Boys found in Police raid of South Pattaya Gay Bar". www.thailandnews.co. 25 July 2010. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Police find 17 underage boys in raid of Sunee Plaza gay bar". www.pattayamail.com. 13 March 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Underage Employees And Drug Users Found In Sunee Plaza Boy Bar Police Raid". forum.thaivisa.com. 17 October 2009. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "46 arrested as 100 police sweep Sunee Plaza for drugs". www.pattayamail.com. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- Sunee Plaza, Gay Pattaya, Gay Thailand Official website