My Cute Guys
|My Cute Guys|
|Also known as||Flower Boys Next Door|
|Based on||I Steal Peeks At Him Every Day|
by Yoo Hyun-sook
|Written by||Kim Eun-jung|
|Directed by||Jung Jung-hwa|
|Opening theme||"Flower Boy Next Door (Title)" by 이크거북|
|Ending theme||"Ready-Merry-Go!" by Romantic Punch |
"I Wish It Was You" by Lee Jung
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Production company(s)||Oh!Boy Project, CJ E&M|
|Original release||7 January –|
25 February 2013
|Related shows||Cool Guys, Hot Ramen|
Dating Agency: Cyrano
My Cute Guys (Hangul: 이웃집 꽃미남; RR: Iutjip Kkonminam; lit. Flower Boy Next Door) is a 2013 South Korean romantic comedy television series based on the webtoon by Yoo Hyun-sook titled I Steal Peeks At Him Every Day (Hangul: 나는 매일 그를 훔쳐본다). It stars Park Shin-hye as a lonely girl who never ventures outdoors, but is caught spying on her neighbor across the street by a different guy (Yoon Shi-yoon) and their weird relationship later draws her out of her shell.
The series aired on tvN from January 7 to February 26, 2013, on Mondays and Tuesdays at 23:00 for 16 episodes. Directed by Jung Jung-hwa (who previously helmed Flower Boy Ramyun Shop) and written by movie screenwriter Kim Eun-jung (Gabi, Hwang Jin-yi), it is the third installment of cable channel tvN's "Oh! Boy" series of Flower Boy programming targeted at the teenage demographic.
Go Dok-mi (in Korean, literally "lonely beauty") is a shy, frugal freelance copy editor who refuses to leave her apartment or interact with people as much as possible. Every day, using a pair of binoculars, she steals peeks at her neighbor across the street, Han Tae-joon, as he goes through his daily morning routine. She had fallen in love with Tae-joon at first sight, after witnessing him pick up a puppy in a box and taking it home. When she looked out her window and saw him living in the apartment opposite hers, she thought of it as fate.
Webtoon artist Oh Jin-rak lives in the same apartment building as Dok-mi. He has been in love with Dok-mi for ages, and anonymously leaves a carton of milk with a post-it attached by her door every day. He created a webtoon with his drawing partner Oh Dong-hoon, titled "Flower Boy Next Door", based on Dok-mi's life as well as his desire to draw her out into the world.
Enrique Geum, a genius video game developer, arrives in Seoul from Spain. His reason for coming is "cupid's arrow." Though he's in love with his best friend Yoon Seo-young, she has feelings instead for his older cousin, Han Tae-joon, so he intends to play cupid for the two. That same day, a new neighbor Watanabe Ryu moves into the apartment across to Dok-mi and Jin-rak.
When Enrique comes to stay at Tae-joon's apartment, he catches Dok-mi in the act. Naturally curious and inquisitive, Enrique decides to find out the reason why Dok-mi is living in recluse. Meanwhile, Jin-rak is threatened by Enrique's sudden intrusion into Dok-mi's life. With all these new men suddenly entering her life, Dok-mi's solitary and orderly world is turned upside down.
- Park Shin-hye as Go Dok-mi
- Yoon Shi-yoon as Enrique Geum
- A genius who developed a wildly successful video game at 17, he is fun-loving, talkative, bohemian and can't get enough of soccer.
- Kim Ji-hoon as Oh Jin-rak
- A rookie webtoon artist, he is attractive despite his difficult and stubborn personality. He is in love with Dok-mi.
- Go Kyung-pyo as Oh Dong-hoon
- Jin-rak's roommate and drawing partner who freeloads off him, and is known around the neighborhood for his chic looks and wiles.
- Park Soo-jin as Cha Do-hwi
- A businesswoman who runs a shopping mall. She projects an elegant, easygoing image, but her friendliness doesn't extend to Dok-mi, whom she bullied in high school. She falls in love with Jin-rak and tries to win his heart.
- Kim Yoon-hye as Yoon Seo-young
- Enrique's best friend and first love. She is a free spirit who throws herself wholeheartedly after something she wants.
- Kim Jung-san as Han Tae-joon
- Enrique's older cousin. He has a complicated relationship with Seo-young, and is liked from afar by Dok-mi.
- Mizuta Kouki as Watanabe Ryu
- The new Japanese neighbor who came to Korea to learn the cuisine.
- Kim Seul-gie as Kim Seul-gi
- Lee Jong-hyuk as Hongdae guru (Ep. 1)
- Park Se-young as new artist who's similar to Dok-mi (Ep. 16)
|Episode no.||Original broadcast date||Title||Average audience share |
|1||7 January 2013||I steal peeks at him every day||0.552% (tvN only)|
|2||8 January 2013||Just leave me alone! Please!!||0.841% (tvN only)|
|3||14 January 2013||First love hurts and unrequited love is sad||1.228% (tvN + Onstyle)|
|4||15 January 2013||No such thing as kind lies or white lies?||1.504% (tvN + Onstyle)|
|5||21 January 2013||I make up 1000 excuses to meet you by chance||1.309% (tvN + OnStyle)|
|6||22 January 2013||The related keywords for 'meeting' are 'fate' and 'ill-fated'||1.690% (tvN + OnStyle)|
|7||28 January 2013||Pride and prejudice and misunderstanding||1.445% (tvN + OnStyle)|
|8||29 January 2013||There's a hazardous tunnel zone ahead||1.409% (tvN + OnStyle)|
|9||4 February 2013||I love you as much as I know you,
I know you as much as I love you
|1.003% (tvN + OnStyle)|
|10||5 February 2013||If you want to know about your enemy,
see things from his eyes, not yours
|1.390% (tvN + OnStyle)|
|11||11 February 2013||Can I go back to being the old me?||1.356% (tvN only)|
|12||12 February 2013||The wind is blowing. I like you||1.470% (tvN only)|
|13||18 February 2013||Is it to dream a new dream?||1.302% (tvN only)|
|14||19 February 2013||Love is to see different maps at times||1.121% (tvN only)|
|15||25 February 2013||Love sometimes seeks a further path||1.190% (tvN only)|
|16||26 February 2013||Love your neighbor||1.409% (tvN only)|
- Flower Boys Next Door (Title) - 이크거북
- Ready-Merry-Go! - Romantic Punch
- Talkin' Bout Love - J Rabbit
- I Wish It Was You - Lee Jung
- Pitch Black - Park Shin-hye
- I Want to Date You - Yoon Shi-yoon
- Memories of That Day - 이크거북
- I Wake Up Because of You - Kim Seul-gie feat. Go Kyung-pyo
- Look at Me - Son Ho-young
- Pitch Black (Acoustic ver.) - Park Shin-hye
- I Wish It Was You (Inst.)
- Talkin' Bout Love (Inst.)
- I Want to Date You (Inst.)
- I Wake Up Because of You (Inst.)
- Ready-Merry-Go! (Inst.)
- About Her (That Woman's Story Theme) - 이크거북
Awards and nominations
|2016||Romantic-Comedy Queen||Park Shin-hye||Nominated|
Broadcasting rights were sold to Japan for the highest price yet for a Korean cable series; it began airing in May 2013 on TBS. It also aired in ten other Asian countries, including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia and Myanmar, and is available to stream on Iflix in Sri Lanka with English subtitles.
- "My Cute Guys [Title in the URL]". Tving (in Korean). tvN. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- mycuteguys 수상한 그녀, 박신혜! '나는 매일 그를 훔쳐본다' 130107 EP.1. YouTube (in Korean). tvN Drama. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (12 December 2012). "Flower Boy Next Door Unveils Official Posters with Park Shin Hye and Yoon Shi Yoon". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (17 December 2012). "Park Shin Hye is Bombarded with Love From Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Ji Hoon for Flower Boy Next Door". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Jeon, Su-mi (31 October 2012). "Yoon Shi Yoon to Return to the Small Screen with Park Shin Hye in My Flower Boy Neighbor". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Jin-ho (27 November 2012). "Yoon Shi Yoon and Park Shin Hye Get Together for My Flower Boy Neighbor". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Lee, Hye-ji (27 November 2012). "Park Shin-hye, Yoon Si-yoon Gear Up for Shooting New Rom-com Drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Lee, In-kyung (24 December 2012). "Park Shin Hye Says Her Ideal Type is the Onion-like Yoon Shi Yoon". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (27 December 2012). "Yoon Shi Yoon Says Flower Boys Next Door is a Healthy Meal Prepared by a Nutritionist". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Ko, Hong-ju (5 January 2013). "Yoon Shi Yoon and Park Shin Hye Talk About What They Like About Cable Dramas". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Lee, Hye-ji (31 October 2012). "Park Shin-hye, Yoon Si-yoon to Pair Up in New Rom-com Drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (4 January 2013). "Park Shin Hye Promises Give Free Hugs If Ratings are High for Flower Boys Next Door". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Kim, Yeon-ji (7 March 2013). "At 26, Yoon Si-yoon breaks out of his shell". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (21 November 2012). "Kim Yoon Hye Cast as Yoon Shi Yoon's First Love for My Flower Boy Neighbor". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Lee, Mi-na (13 January 2013). '또' 김슬기의 찰진 욕, '이웃집 꽃미남'서 다시 한 번? [SNL Korea's actress Kim Seul-gie's sticky swear words, again on Flower Boys Next Door?]. OhmyNews (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (27 February 2013). "School 2013's Park Se Young Makes Surprise Cameo in Flower Boys Next Door". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (8 January 2013). "Ratings: Mon, 01.07.13: Flower Boys Bloom as The King Takes a Bow". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- TBS. "となりの美男＜イケメン＞". www.TBS.co.jp. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Ho, Stewart (28 January 2013). "Flower Boys Next Door Is Sold to Japan for Record Amount". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2014-11-20.