Rummy (2014 film)
|Directed by||K. Balakrishnan|
|Music by||D. Imman|
|Edited by||Raja Mohammad|
Sri Valli Studio
|Distributed by||JSK Film Corporation|
Rummy is a 2014 Indian Tamil language period romantic thriller drama film co-produced and directed by debutant Balakrishnan. It features Inigo Prabhakaran, Gayathrie, Vijay Sethupathi and Aishwarya Rajesh in the lead roles. The film was shot around Pudhukottai, Karaikudi and Thanjavur. It released on 31 January 2014 to moderate reviews.
- Vijay Sethupathi as Joseph
- Inigo Prabhakaran as Sakthi
- Iyshwarya Rajesh as Sorna
- Gayathrie Shankar as Meenakshi
- Soori as Arunachalam
- Joe Malloori
- Sujatha Sivakumar
In December 2012, Vijay Sethupathi signed up a project for debutant K. Balakrishnan, former assistant of N. Linguswamy who impressed him with his script. The film is said to be set in the 1980s. According to sources, Rummy is a dark romantic thriller. The first look was released on 4 October 2013. While it was reported that actress Remya Nambeesan, a trained classical singer, would be making her Tamil singing debut with this film, the song apparently doesn't appear in the soundtrack. Rummy has completed the mandatory Censor formality and it has been cleared with U certificate.
|Soundtrack album to Rummy by D. Imman|
|Released||25 October 2013|
|D. Imman chronology|
From Times of India.
All lyrics written by Yugabharathi.
|1.||"Koodamela Koodavechi"||V. V. Prasanna, Vandana Srinivasan||05:01|
|2.||"Adiye Enna Raagam"||Abhay Jodhpurkar, Poornima Satish||04:42|
|3.||"Oru Nodi"||D. Imman, Divya Ramani||04:20|
|4.||"Yedhukkaga Enna"||Santhosh Hariharan, AV Pooja||04:06|
|5.||"Yedhukkaga Enna" (instrumental)||Karthick Iyer (violin)||04:06|
The satellite rights of the film were secured by Zee Thamizh. The film was supposed to release on 31 December 2013, but due to the presence of many big films it was postponed and released on 31 January 2014.
The film received mixed to positive reviews. Baradwaj Rangan wrote, "We keep waiting for something to happen and throw these aimless scenes into sharp relief. We await a twist in the tale. But there’s nothing...It’s a testament to the power of melodrama that the story turns mildly interesting in its final section, but the ending isn’t earned. It appears tacked on simply so that we leave the theatre on an emotional high — and that’s the worst kind of cheating". The Times of India gave 2.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "While it is, on the whole, a decent film, especially in the set-in-the-sickle-toting-south genre, Rummy is also wearisome, mainly because it is so predictable. There is a strong been-there-done-that whiff in the proceedings that you are hardly surprised and never really root for the characters". Sify wrote, "K. Balakrishnan makes a decent debut with Rummy, but it is predictable and at times the pace sags. As usual first half is decent, while the story loses its steam post-interval".
Rediff gave 2.5 stars out of 5 and called Rummy "an engaging film, let down by an average screenplay and the extremely slow pace". The Hindustan Times gave 2,5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Rummy is often violent...There is more bloodshed and gore to come, more revenge and brutality -- sometimes treated with arrogant casualness. However, the high point of Balakrishnan's script is the shock it presents at the end". Behindwoods gave 2 stars out of 5 and called it "A familiar tale of oppositions to love which takes its own sweet time to move".
- "Rummy Tamil Movie Stills". moviegalleri.net. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's 'Rummy' censored". The Times Of India. 2013-12-14. Retrieved 2013-12-26.
- "From Pizza, NKPK to Rummy!". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Vijay Sethupathi signs up 'Rummy'". The Times Of India. TNN. 14 December 2012.
- Moviebuzz (4 October 2013). "Vijay Sethupathy's 'Rummy' gets red hot". Sify.
- "Vijay Sethupathi's rusty look". The Times of India. TNN. 4 October 2013.
- "Remya Nambeesan sings for Vijay Sethupathi". The Times of India. TNN. 18 May 2013.
- "Remya to sing in Rummy". Pluz Cinema. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "Rummy gets U". Retrieved 2013-12-16.
- "Rummy audio launch on October 25". The Times of India. TNN. 21 October 2013.
- "Imman's next music release". The Times of India. TNN. 13 September 2013.
- "Rummy movie songs lyrics". tamilsonglyrics. Archived from the original on 10 June 2015.
- Moviebuzz (21 October 2013). "Vijay Sethupathy`s Rummy audio on Oct 25". Sify.
- "Rummy treats our ears on the 25th". Behindwoods. 23 October 2013.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar (10 November 2013). "Audio Beat: Rummy - An edge-of-the-seat thriller". The Hindu.
- "Rummy track list". The Times of India. TNN. 1 October 2013.
- ‘Rummy’ Review Roundup: Gets Mixed Reaction - International Business Times
- Rummy: A bad hand - The Hindu
- Rummy movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India
- Movie Review : Rummy
- Review: Rummy is engaging - Rediff.com Movies
- Movie review: Rummy makes for an engaging watch - Hindustan Times
- Rummy (aka) Rummy review