Ellerslie Girls' High School
Ellerslie Girls' High School was a girls' public high school at 355 Main Road, Sea Point, Cape Town, South Africa. The school was established in 1898. In 1989 the school merged with Sea Point High School, formerly Sea Point Boys' High School, which had become co-educational.
The school building dated 1899 in Sea Point's Main Road, which housed the school until it merged with Sea Point High School in 1989 and subsequently housed Tafelberg School's high school section until 2010, was designed by Scottish architect John Parker. The site was declared a provincial heritage site in a government gazette dated 15 December 1989. The disused 17,000 square metre site has been proposed for redevelopment by the Western Cape Government, which says that it is suitable for a mixed-use development and has requested expressions of interest from parties interested in buying the property or leasing it for a period of up to 60 years provided that the original 1899 building and an avenue of wild fig trees are preserved.
- Barbara Follett – British politician
- Ethel Drus -Historian and key member of the Committee that drafted the Freedom Charter
- The Ellerslie Magazine: Golden Jubilee 1898–1948. Ellerslie School. 1948. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Botha, P (March 2014). "Sea Point High School – 130th Birthday: Established 21 April 1884". The Good Times. 2 (1): 16. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
In 1989, we amalgamated with Ellerslie Girls' High School after it had become clear that it was not viable to continue with separate schools for boys and girls in the Sea Point area. The decision was taken to use our premises for the new school and Tafelberg High moved into the vacant premises of Ellerslie Girls' High.
- "Investing in the Western Cape" (PDF). Western Cape Government. Archived (PDF) from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
Erf 1424 has a long tradition as a place of learning, dating back to 1899 when the property was purchased by the Department for Education for the establishment of Ellerslie Girls High School. From 1899 buildings were added incrementally to accommodate the Ellerslie Girls School and later the Tafelberg Remedial High School. The buildings stood vacant since the Tafelberg Remedial High School was relocated.
- "Main Road Precinct" (PDF). Western Cape Government. 26 March 2014. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Coetzee, Cobus (27 March 2014). "Province presents 4 properties to market". Cape Times. Archived from the original on 11 October 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- John Parker, Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Ellerslie Girls' High School, Main Road, Sea Point, Cape Town". South Africa Heritage Resources Agency. Archived from the original on 23 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Redevelopment of Tafelberg School". Archived from the original on 11 October 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Historic Sea Point school attracts many proposals". Cape Argus. 2 May 2014. Archived from the original on 11 October 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Barbara Follett: Electoral history and profile". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 October 2014.