Two Oceans Aquarium
|Date opened||13 November 1995|
|Location||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Volume of largest tank||2,000,000 l (440,000 imp gal; 530,000 US gal)|
|Owner||V&A Waterfront Holdings (Pty) Limited and Investec Bank|
|Public transit access||Bus: MyCiTi 104|
The Two Oceans Aquarium is an aquarium located at the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa. The aquarium was opened on the 13 November 1995 and comprises seven exhibition galleries with large viewing windows: The enchantment of this particular aquarium is due to its location, where the Indian and Atlantic Ocean meet.
- Atlantic Ocean Gallery - This gallery allows you to discover the life of the Atlantic Ocean. Such marine life as translucent jellyfish, tiny and rare Knysna seahorse and giant spider crabs.
- I&J Children's Play Centre - Various activities to keep the young visitors entertained. Puppet shows, arts and craft. A place for visitors to look out the old seal pool and maybe even see the rockhopper penguins swimming.
- Previously known as the Seal Pool Exhibit. Cape Fur Seal are no longer kept at the aquarium. The last 4 resident seals were sent to another facility in 2007. Various fishes found in the pool. And the rockhopper penguins also use this pool for their exercise.
- Predator Exhibit - This exhibit re-opened on 27 July 2017. This exhibit holds 2 million litres of seawater. 3 ragged-tooth were release on this day, Lili-May, Dane and Bernie.
- I&J Ocean Exhibit - Opened on 16 June 2016. This exhibit holds 1.6 million litres of seawater. Various fishes, rays & turtles to be seen in this exhibit. It is possible to scuba dive in this tank at the aquarium if you hold a PADI Open Water Certificate.
- Indian Ocean Gallery - Showcases six exhibits of marine life found in the Indian Ocean. The anemonefish (a.k.a. clownfish) seen in the movie Finding Nemo and his friends and a wealth of other colourful fish can be found in this ocean’s coral reefs.
- Kelp Forest Exhibit - (This exhibit is now closed due to renovations underway) / One of the aquarium’s biggest attractions, this underwater forest is home to shoals of silver fishes sparkling through the sunlight.
- River Meander Exhibit - African Black-footed penguins, Northern Rockhopper penguins, African black oystercatcher, mole snake, Western Leopard toads, common platannas (African clawed frogs). A river course divided into 3 sections (upper, middle and lower) with freshwater fishes in the exhibit. Various plants from the Western Cape region.
- Dive South Africa: South Western Cape, Cape Town - V&A Waterfront. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Exhibits at the Two Oceans Aquarium". Archived from the original on 2006-12-06. Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- "Diving at the Two Oceans Aquarium". Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- "Surviving the holiday rumble bumble". Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Official Website
- http://www.waterfront.co.za - For more tourist activities around Two Oceans Aquarium
|This article about a South African building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a zoo, aquarium, safari park, dolphinarium, or aviary is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|