"Y" Is for Yesterday
First edition cover
|Publisher||G. P. Putnam's Sons|
|August 22, 2017|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|Pages||496 first edition|
"Y" Is for Yesterday is the twenty-fifth and final novel in the "Alphabet" series of mystery novels by Sue Grafton. Grafton initially wanted to write a Z novel, but she died before she had time. It features Kinsey Millhone, a private detective based in Santa Teresa, California.
The novel, set in 1989, finds Kinsey getting pulled into a decade-old case involving a sexual assault at an elite private school. The novel, published by G. P. Putnam's Sons, was released in the United States on August 22, 2017.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (January 2018)
- Kinsey Millhone: Private investigator who is called in to investigate an old case of sexual assault at a private school.
On August 30, 2017, "Y" Is for Yesterday topped USA Today's best-seller list. On September 1, 2017, it topped The New York Times Best Seller list and was later placed on its Fiction Best Sellers of 2017 list.
Development of the novel
In an interview with NPR on August 20, 2017, Grafton stated the basis of the current book was an amalgamation of two actual events: "The origin was a case that happened in Santa Barbara, where a kid was picked up because his brother owed $1,500 to a drug dealer. And eventually, he was shot and killed up in the mountains. Second part of the plot was from a case down in Orange County, where some kids –always kids– assaulted a girl and filmed it and then circulated this bunch of photographs, which she knew nothing about until somebody told her. So they ended up going to court. So I juxtaposed the two."
- "Biography: Sue Grafton". Penguin Random House. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- McClurg, Jocelyn (May 4, 2017). "Read an excerpt from Sue Grafton's new 'Y Is for Yesterday'". USA Today. Gannett. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- McClurg, Jocelyn (August 30, 2017). "Sue Grafton, down to 'Y,' lands at No. 1 on USA Today's books list". USA Today. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- Christensen, Lauren (September 1, 2017). "A Decades-old Detective Series Is Still on Top". The New York Times. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- Brown, Dwane (August 20, 2017). "'Y Is For Yesterday': Sue Grafton's Penultimate Mystery Series Novel". NPR. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- Sue Grafton Alphabet Series official site