'Deed I Do
|"'Deed I Do"|
"'Deed I Do" is a 1926 jazz standard composed by Fred Rose with lyrics by Walter Hirsch. It was introduced by vaudeville performer S. L. Stambaugh and popularized by Ben Bernie's recording. It was recorded by influential clarinetist and bandleader Benny Goodman as his debut recording in December 1926 with Ben Pollack and His Californians. Ruth Etting's rendition of the song became a top ten hit in 1927.
Other recorded versions
- Ben Pollack and His Californians (December 1926)
- Ruth Etting (December 1926)
- Eddie Peabody (December 1926)
- Harry Reser and His Orchestra (January 1927)
- Sissle and Blake (February 1927)
- Johnny Marvin (December 1927) Victor # 20397-B (at Internet Archive)
- Lena Horne with Luther Henderson's Orchestra (May 1948)
- Peggy Lee with Dave Barbour and his Orchestra (March 1948)
- Nat King Cole Trio - Capitol Records 52216-1 (1950)
- Bing Crosby - Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings (1956)
- Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie (1957)
- Billie Holiday - Last Recordings (1959)
- Ray Charles - The Genius of Ray Charles (1959)
- Gene McDaniels -Sometimes I'm Happy (1960)
- Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie - Ella and Basie! (1963)
- Les Paul and Chet Atkins - Chester and Lester (1976)
- Taj Mahal - Taj (1987)
- Sue Raney - Breathless (1997)
- Diana Krall - Live in Paris (2002)
- The Hot Club of Cowtown - Continental Stomp (2003)
- Linnzi Zaorski - Hot Wax and Whiskey (2007)
- Lynda Carter - At Last (2009)
- Matt Dusk and Margaret version was a single release, which promoted their a collaborative jazz album Just the Two of Us (2015)
- List of artist who have performed "Deed I Do" at Allmusic
- more recorded versions http://www.45cat.com/45_search.php?sq=Deed+I+Do&sm=tr
- "Deed I Do (1926)". JazzStandards.com. Archived from the original on 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- Jasen, David A. (2002). A Century of American Popular Music: 2000 Best-Loved and Remembered Songs (1899-1999). Taylor & Francis. p. 45. ISBN 0-415-93700-0.
- Jasen, David A. (2003). Tin Pan Alley: An Encyclopedia of the Golden Age of American Song. Taylor & Francis. p. 352. ISBN 0-415-93877-5.
- Hoffmann, Frank W.; Ferstler, Howard (2005). Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound. CRC Press. p. 445. ISBN 0-415-93835-X.
- "Artists - Ruth Etting". Songwriters Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2009-08-23.
- "Nat King Cole Catalog," Jazz Discography Project (at JazzDisco.org) (Retrieved 2014-05-23)
- "Matt Dusk & Margaret "'Deed I Do" (Video Premiere)". Retrieved 2015-12-11.
|This jazz standard or composition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|