'Deed I Do
|"'Deed I Do"|
"'Deed I Do" is a 1926 jazz standard composed by Fred Rose with lyrics by Walter Hirsch. It was introduced by vaudeville performer S. L. Stambaugh and popularized by Ben Bernie's recording. It was recorded by influential clarinetist and bandleader Benny Goodman as his debut recording in December 1926 with Ben Pollack and His Californians. Ruth Etting's rendition of the song became a top ten hit in 1927 as did the version by Johnny Marvin.
Other recorded versions
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: versions may not meet WP:SONGCOVER. (February 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Benny Goodman along with Ben Pollack and His Californians (December 1926)
- Ruth Etting (December 1926)
- Eddie Peabody (December 1926)
- Harry Reser and His Orchestra (January 1927)
- Sissle and Blake (February 1927)
- Jack Payne and His Hotel Cecil Orchestra (May 1927)
- Johnny Marvin (December 17, 1926)
- Lena Horne with Luther Henderson's Orchestra (May 1948); reached No. 26 in the US charts.
- Peggy Lee with Dave Barbour and his Orchestra (March 1948)
- Nat King Cole Trio — Capitol Records 52216-1 (1950)
- Rita Reys with Lars Gullin Quartet (1953)
- Bing Crosby — Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings (1956)
- Blossom Dearie — Blossom Dearie (1957)
- Billie Holiday — Last Recordings (1959)
- Ray Charles — The Genius of Ray Charles (1959)
- Gene McDaniels — Sometimes I'm Happy (1960)
- Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie — Ella and Basie! (1963)
- Les Paul and Chet Atkins — Chester and Lester (1976)
- Taj Mahal — Taj (1987)
- Sue Raney — Breathless (1997)
- Diana Krall — Live in Paris (2002)
- The Hot Club of Cowtown — Continental Stomp (2003)
- Linnzi Zaorski — Hot Wax and Whiskey (2007)
- Lynda Carter — At Last (2009)
- Matt Dusk and Margaret — Just the Two of Us (2015)
- "Deed I Do (1926)". JazzStandards.com. Archived from the original on 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- Jasen, David A. (2002). A Century of American Popular Music: 2000 Best-Loved and Remembered Songs (1899-1999). Taylor & Francis. p. 45. ISBN 0-415-93700-0.
- Jasen, David A. (2003). Tin Pan Alley: An Encyclopedia of the Golden Age of American Song. Taylor & Francis. p. 352. ISBN 0-415-93877-5.
- Hoffmann, Frank W.; Ferstler, Howard (2005). Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound. CRC Press. p. 445. ISBN 0-415-93835-X.
- "Artists - Ruth Etting". Songwriters Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2009-08-23.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, USA: Record Research Inc. p. 300. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, US: Record Research. p. 218. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- "Matt Dusk & Margaret "'Deed I Do" (Video Premiere)". Archived from the original on 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-11.