¡Celia Cruz: Azúcar!
|¡Celia Cruz: Azúcar!|
|Presented by||Marc Anthony|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production location(s)||Miami Beach Convention Center, Miami|
|Running time||109 minutes|
|Original release||13 March 2003|
¡Celia Cruz: Azúcar! (English: Celia Cruz: Sugar!) was a tribute special held in honor of Cuban performer Celia Cruz. It was hosted by American singer Marc Anthony and Cuban-American singer Gloria Estefan. It featured musical performances by various Latin music and Anglo performers including Victor Manuelle, Paulina Rubio, José Feliciano, Milly Quezada, Los Tri-O, Estefan, Patti Labelle, Arturo Sandoval, Ana Gabriel, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Tito Nieves, Albita, Johnny Pacheco, Alicia Villareal, Olga Tañón, Mikey Perfecto, José Alberto "El Canario", Rosario, Luis Enrique, Anthony and Gloria Gaynor. This was Cruz's final public appearance, before her death in July 2003. The tribute concert raised $145,000 for the Celia Cruz Foundation.
In December 2002, Cruz was sidelined by a brain tumor. In early 2003, following a partially successful surgery to remove the tumor, Cruz returned to the studio to record her sixth album, Regalo del Alma, weeks after the operation.
In February 2003, the Spanish-language television network Telemundo announced that it would produce and air a tribute concert honoring Cruz. The tribute special aired in March 2003. Cruz later died on 16 July 2003 of brain cancer, at the age of 77.
Setlist as follows:
- "La Vida Es Un Carnaval" - Victor Manuelle
- "La Candela" - Paulina Rubio
- "Usted Abusó" - José Feliciano
- "Isadora Duncan" - Milly Quezada
- "Dile Que Por Mí No Tema" - Los Tri-O
- "Quimbara" - Gloria Estefan, Patti Labelle, Arturo Sandoval
- "Tu Voz" - Ana Gabriel
- "Bemba Colorá" - Gilberto Santa Rosa
- "Guantanamera" - Tito Nieves, Albita, Johnny Pacheco
- "Vieja Luna" - Alicia Villareal
- "La Negra Tiene Tumbao" - Olga Tañón, Mikey Perfecto
- "Cúcala" - José Alberto "El Canario"
- "Burundanga" - Rosario
- "Que Bueno Baila Usted" - Luis Enrique
- "Yerbero Moderno" - Marc Anthony
- "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor
- "Yo Vivire" - Celia Cruz
- "Yo Vivire"/"Quimbara" (Encore) - Celia Cruz, Victor Manuelle, Paulina Rubio, José Feliciano, Milly Quezada, Los Tri-O, Gloria Estefan, Patti Labelle, Arturo Sandoval, Ana Gabriel, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Tito Nieves, Albita, Johnny Pacheco, Alicia Villareal, Olga Tañón, Mikey Perfecto, José Alberto "El Canario", Rosario, Luis Enrique, Marc Anthony, Gloria Gaynor
On 27 January 2004, the concert was released on DVD. In 2010, the Celia Cruz Estate sued Telemundo, claiming the network to not have properly paid the estate for DVD, which resulted in profits exceeding one million dollars. The suit claimed that "Cruz’ appearance would be considered a work for hire. But the suit alleges that contractually, Telemundo had also agreed to pay a donation to Cruz’ charity and that Cruz would be compensated for "any revenue from any ancillary source related to the Tribute, including later post-production and distribution." T
- "2003: El mundo llora la muerte de Celia Cruz, 'La Guarachera de Cuba'". El Siglo de Torreón. Terra Networks. 16 July 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Cobo, Leila (5 July 2003). "Latin Notas: Cruz's Azucar". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Pareles, Jon (17 July 2003). "Celia Cruz, Petite Powerhouse of Latin Music, Dies at 77". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Celia Cruz: Biography & History: Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Celia: The Life and Music of Celia Cruz". WLS-TV Chicago. ABC Inc. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Gurza, Agustin (17 July 2003). "Celia Cruz, 77; Queen of Salsa's Passing Marks the End of a Musical Era". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Pardillo, Omar (4 February 2003). "Telemundo to Produce Tribute Concert: ¡Celia Cruz: Azucar!". Celia Cruz Foundation. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Pearlman, Ellen (1 April 2008). "Azucar! Celia: The Life and Music of Celia Cruz at the New World Theater". The Brooklyn Rail. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Townsend, Rosa; Vicent, Manuel (18 July 2003). "La muerte de Celia Cruz consterna al exilio cubano y a los artistas de la isla". El Pais (in Spanish). Ediciones El Pais, S.L. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "¡Azúcar en el cielo!". El Diario de Hoy (in Spanish). 17 July 2003. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Telemundo Launches DVD Tribute To Celia Cruz ¡Azúcar!". Hispanic Ad. Hispanic Media Sales, Inc. 29 December 2003. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "Amazon.com: Celia Cruz - Azucar!: Celia Cruz, Gloria Estefan, Marc Anthony, Various Artists: Movies & TV". Amazon. Amazon.com, Inc. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Cobo, Leila (22 January 2010). "Celia Cruz Estate Sues Telemundo Over Tribute Special". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 5 July 2016.