Äänekoski town hall and library
Location of Äänekoski in Finland
|• Town manager||Hannu Javanainen|
|• Total||1,138.38 km2 (439.53 sq mi)|
|• Land||884.54 km2 (341.52 sq mi)|
|• Water||253.84 km2 (98.01 sq mi)|
|Area rank||101st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||54th largest in Finland|
|• Density||22.47/km2 (58.2/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.7% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.4%|
|• 15 to 64||64%|
|• 65 or older||18.7%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Central Finland region. It is neighboured by Kannonkoski, Konnevesi, Laukaa, Saarijärvi, Uurainen, Vesanto and Viitasaari. The town has a population of 19,879 (30 June 2015) and covers an area of 1,138.38 square kilometres (439.53 sq mi) of which 253.84 km2 (98.01 sq mi) is water. There are altogether 170 lakes in Äänekoski. Biggest lakes are Keitele, Kuhnamo and Niinivesi The population density is 22.47 inhabitants per square kilometre (58.2/sq mi).
The municipality of Äänekosken maalaiskunta was consolidated to Äänekoski in 1969 and the municipality of Konginkangas in 1993. The municipalities of Sumiainen and Suolahti were consolidated to Äänekoski in 2007.
In 2004, the worst road accident ever in Finland occurred in Äänekoski, the Konginkangas bus disaster.
Twin towns – Sister cities
The following cities or municipalities are twinned with Äänekoski:
- Örnsköldsvik Municipality, Sweden
- Brande, Brande Municipality, Denmark
- Sigdal, Norway
- Alushta, Alushta municipality Ukraine
- Borovichi, Novgorod Oblast, Russia (status unknown)
- Sestroretsk, Russia
A porter locomotive of the Äänekoski-Suolahti narrow gauge railway.
A sunset at the Lake Keitele.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.06.2015" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Äänekoski". Järviwiki. Finland's Environmental Administration. 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Äänekosken kaupungin ystävyyskuntatoiminnan edistäminen" (in Norwegian). City of Äänekoski. Retrieved 2012-06-01.[dead link]
Media related to Äänekoski at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Äänekoski – Official website