She worked as a physiotherapist and a county council member in Hordaland before entering national politics. She has also been involved in the organization Nei til EU (No to the EU).
She is a member of The Norwegian Nobel Committee, the body that awards The Nobel Peace Prize.
Parliamentary Presidium duties
- 2001 – 2005 President of the Odelsting.
Parliamentary Committee duties
- 2005 – 2009 member of the Enlarged Foreign Affairs Committee.
- 2005 – 2009 member of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs.
- 2001 – 2005 leader of the Standing Committee on Scrutiny and Constitutional Affairs.
- 2001 – 2005 deputy member of the Enlarged Foreign Affairs Committee.
- 1997 – 2001 deputy leader of the Standing Committee on Family and Cultural Affairs.
- 1997 – 2001 deputy member of the Electoral Committee.