|OS family||Linux (Unix-like)|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2017.12 / December 30, 2017|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
|Console, X Window System, GPE, OPIE|
|License||Free software licenses|
The Ångström distribution is a defunct Linux distribution for a variety of embedded devices. The distribution is the result of work by developers from the OpenZaurus, OpenEmbedded, and OpenSIMpad projects. The graphical user interfaces (GUIs) available are OPIE and GPE among other options.
The Ångström distribution is in "competition" with Poky Linux. Ångström is based on the OpenEmbedded project, specifically the OpenEmbedded-Core (OE-Core) layer. While both Ångström and Poky Linux are based on OE-Core, mostly utilize the same toolchain and are both officially "Yocto compatible", only Poky Linux is officially part of the Yocto Project.
Ångström primarily differs from Poky Linux in being a binary distribution (like e.g. the Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse or Ubuntu Linux distributions), using opkg for package management. Hence an essential part of Ångström builds is a binary package feed, allowing to simply install software distributed as opkg packages, without having to compile them first (just as one might install a binary package with aptitude or dpkg).
According to the Ångström wiki, Ångström is being developed for at least the following devices:
- Sharp Zaurus:
- SL-5500 (Collie)
- SL-5600 (Poodle)
- SL-6000 (Tosa)
- SL-C7x0 (Corgi, Husky, Shepherd)
- SL-C860 (Boxer)
- SL-C1000 (Akita)
- SL-C3xxx (Spitz, Borzoi, Terrier)
- Hewlett Packard iPAQ PDA
- Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
- HTC Universal/iMate JasJar
- Motorola A780
- Psion Teklogix NetBook Pro
- Gumstix and Kouchuk-Bars
- BeagleBone and BeagleBone Black
- Base for Openmoko distribution
- Polyvision Roomwizard
- "Download directrory for Ångström releases".
- "Angstrom - GoWiki". Archived from the original on 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2015-04-28.
- "ARCHOS OPENS UP HARDWARE PLATFORM TO DEVELOPERS" (PDF).
- "piA-AM335x-PM - Professionelle Elektronikentwicklung - pironex GmbH".