|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2016.06 / October 19, 2016|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
|Default user interface||Console, X Window System, GPE, OPIE|
|License||Free software licenses
The Ångström distribution is a Linux distribution for a variety of embedded devices. The distribution is the result of work by developers from the OpenZaurus, OpenEmbedded, and OpenSIMpad projects. The graphical user interfaces (GUIs) available are OPIE and GPE among other options.
The Ångström distribution is in "cooptition" with Poky Linux. Ångström is based on the OpenEmbedded project, specifically the OpenEmbedded-Core (OE-Core) layer. While both Ångström and Poky Linux are based on OE-Core, mostly utilize the same toolchain and are both officially "Yocto compatible", only Poky Linux is officially part of the Yocto Project.
Ångström primarily differs from Poky Linux in being a binary distribution (alike e.g. the Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse or Ubuntu GNU/Linux distributions), using opkg for package management. Hence an essential part of Ångström builds is a binary package feed, allowing to simply install software distributed as opkg packages, without having to compile them first (just as one might install a binary package per ‘apt-get install <package-name>’ with dpkg).
According to the Ångström wiki, Ångström is being developed for at least the following devices:
- Sharp Zaurus:
- SL-5500 (Collie)
- SL-5600 (Poodle)
- SL-6000 (Tosa)
- SL-C7x0 (Corgi, Husky, Shepherd)
- SL-C860 (Boxer)
- SL-C1000 (Akita)
- SL-C3xxx (Spitz, Borzoi, Terrier)
- Hewlett Packard iPAQ PDA
- Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
- HTC Universal/iMate JasJar
- Motorola A780
- Psion Teklogix NetBook Pro
- Gumstix and Kouchuk-Bars
- BeagleBone and BeagleBone Black
- Base for Openmoko distribution
- Archos 5
- Archos 7
- Archos 5 Internet Tablet
- Archos 101
- Archos 32
- Archos 28
- Polyvision Roomwizard
- Familiar Linux
- Pocket PC
- Windows Mobile
- "Download directrory for Ångström releases".
- "Ångström page on YoctoProject.org".
- "Angstrom - GoWiki". Archived from the original on 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2015-04-28.
- "ARCHOS OPENS UP HARDWARE PLATFORM TO DEVELOPERS" (PDF).
- "IPC Industrierechner - kundenspezifische Elektronik Software Entwicklung - pironex GmbH".
- "SAM9G45 low cost board, pico-ITX form factor".