|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2014.12 / August 2014|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
|Default user interface||Console, X Window System, GPE, OPIE|
|License||Free software licenses
The Ångström distribution is a Linux distribution for a variety of embedded devices. The distribution is the result of work by developers from the OpenZaurus, OpenEmbedded, and OpenSIMpad projects. Amongst other options, the user interface in one of the reference builds is the GPE Palmtop Environment.
Ångström a linux distribution that competes against Poky linux. Ångström is based on the OpenEmbedded project, and more specifically, the openembedded-core (often abbreviated simply oe-core) layer. Both Ångström and Poky Linux are based on oe-core. But Ångström is not officially part of the Yocto Project like Poky. Discussions are underway for Ångström to join Yocto Project to something more like siblings.
Ångström is somewhat different than Poky Linux in that the developers call it a binary distribution, in a similar way that you might think of Ubuntu. One primary output of Ångström builds is a binary package feed, allowing a developer to simply install a package on a compatible ARM target, for example, without having to compile it, in a similar manner that you might use ‘sudo apt-get install <package>’ on a Ubuntu distribution.
Ångström uses opkg for package management.
According to the Ångström wiki, Ångström is being developed for at least the following devices:
- Sharp Zaurus:
- SL-5500 (Collie) (not supported in current stable release)
- SL-5600 (Poodle)
- SL-6000 (Tosa)
- SL-C7x0 (Corgi, Husky, Shepherd)
- SL-C860 (Boxer)
- SL-C1000 (Akita)
- SL-C3xxx (Spitz, Borzoi, Terrier)
- Hewlett Packard iPAQ PDA
- Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
- HTC Universal/iMate JasJar
- Motorola A780
- Psion Teklogix NetBook Pro
- Gumstix and Kouchuk-Bars
- BeagleBone and BeagleBone Black
- Base for Openmoko distribution
- Archos 5
- Archos 7
- Archos 5 Internet Tablet
- Archos 101
- Archos 32
- Archos 28
- Polyvision Roomwizard
- Familiar Linux
- Palm OS
- Pocket PC
- Windows Mobile
- "YOCTO PROJECT COMPATIBLE, 1.7 THIS TIME".
- "Angstrom - GoWiki". Archived from the original on 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2015-04-28.
- "ARCHOS OPENS UP HARDWARE PLATFORM TO DEVELOPERS" (PDF).
- "IPC Industrierechner - kundenspezifische Elektronik Software Entwicklung - pironex GmbH".
- "SAM9G45 low cost board, pico-ITX form factor".