|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Renzo Sulli|
|8 km2 (3 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,600/km2 (12,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||217–395 m (712–1,296 ft) |
(avg. 237 m or 778 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Échirolles (French pronunciation: [eʃiʁɔl] ⓘ; Arpitan: Ècherôles) is a commune in the Isère department in southeastern France. Part of the Grenoble urban unit (agglomeration), it is the second-largest suburb of the city of Grenoble, which is immediately to its north.
A former industrial village had the majority of its inhabitants work in the viscose factories, a fabric that was invented in Échirolles in 1884 by the French scientist and industrial Hilaire de Chardonnet, before becoming universally famous. The process for manufacturing viscose was then patented by three British scientists, Charles Frederick Cross, Edward John Bevan and Clayton Beadle, in 1891.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
- Thernand Bakouboula footballer
- Seynabou Benga handball player
- Stephane Biakolo footballer
- Talel Chedly (b. 1978), footballer
- Vincent Clerc (b. 1981), rugby footballer of Stade Toulousain and of the France national team.
- Mélissa Theuriau (b. 1978), journalist and television producer.
- Calogero (b. 1971), pop/rock singer, composer and songwriter.
- Laure Péquegnot (b. 1975), skier.
- Gérald Hustache-Mathieu (b. 1968), film director and scenarist.
- David di Tommaso (1979–2005), football player.
- Sami Bouajila (b. 1966), actor.
- Guilbaut Colas (b. 18 June 1983), freestyle skier.
- David Lazzaroni (b. 4 February 1985), ski jumper.
- Sandrine Aubert (b. 6 October 1982), alpine skier.
- Jonathan Tinhan (b. 1 June 1989), footballer.
- Matteo Tomasi (b. 16 October 1998), footballer.
Échirolles is twinned with:
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2020". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2022.
- Unité urbaine 2020 de Grenoble (38701), INSEE
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Échirolles, EHESS (in French).
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Official website
- Official website of the Paroisse Charles de Foucauld in Échirolles
- Museum of viscose in Échirolles