October 11, 1920|
|Died||October 11, 2012(aged 92)|
|Education||School of Fine Arts, Cali|
|Awards||“Grado de Oficial”|
Negret was born in Popayán, Colombia. He attended the School of Fine Arts in Cali, Colombia. Initially working in stone in styles reminiscent of European modernists like Jean Arp and Constantin Brâncuși. By the early 1950s, he began working in metal in constructivist tradition.
In 1955, his art was acquired by the Museum of Modern Art. In 1963, he won the Salón de Artistas Colombianos, and therein became one of the most prominent Colombian sculptors of the 20th century. In 1968, he was awarded the David E. Bright Sculpture Prize, at the Thirty-fourth Venice Biennial. In 1985, the Museum Negret opened. In 2010, he was awarded “Grado de Oficial” by order of the Congress of Colombia. Negret died, on his 92nd birthday, in Bogotá, Colombia.
- "Falleció el escultor colombiano Édgar Negret". El Espectador (in Spanish). 12 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- "Edgar Negret". Iadb.org. Retrieved 2012-10-13. (Spanish)
- "Edgar Negret". iadb.org. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Anita Shapolsky Gallery NYC". anitashapolskygallery.com. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- "Colombianos Destacados". Colombia.com. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Edgar Negret, 90 años « Casa Museo Negret & MIAMP". Museonegret.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- http://elnuevosiglo.com.co/cultura/sociedad-y-cultura/20851-orden-del-congreso-en-grado-de-gran-oficial-al-escultor-caucano-edgar-negret.html. Retrieved April 15, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Edgar Negret's 96th birthday". Google.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edgar Negret.|
- Lucie-Smith, Edward (1993). "8". Latin American Art. Thames and Hudson. pp. 131–133.
- "Interview: EDGARD NEGRET", Mario Pachajoa Burbano, Septiembre 15, 1999
- Colombia.com - EDGAR NEGRET (Artista Plástico)
- "Edgar Negret", La Prenza Libre, 10/08/10
- "Edgar Negret - Colombian Sculptor". The Art Reference. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
|This article about a Colombian sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|