Édgar Sosa (boxer)
|Real name||Édgar Alejandro Sosa Medina|
|Height||1.61 m (5 ft 3 1⁄2 in)|
|Reach||1.70 m (67 in)|
|Born||23 August 1979|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Wins by KO||30|
Sosa suffered losses in the early part of his career, the first one came against another future Mexican light flyweight champion Ulises Solís. He faced off against Solis in a rematch in 2003 but lost once again. Sosa would then score fourteen straight victories including a win over future light flyweight champion Gilberto Keb Baas and former two time minimum weight champion Noel Arambulet.
WBC Light Flyweight Championship
In April 2009, he also got a 4th-round technical knockout victory over Porsawan Popramook.
Controversial title defense
On November 21, 2009, Sosa lost his title to Rodel Mayol. In the second round, Sosa was badly hurt by a headbutt from Mayol, sending Sosa to the canvas and causing him to sustain an injury which was later determined to be a triple-fracture. The referee ruled the headbutt as an unintentional foul and deducted a point from Mayol. After the ringside doctor inspected the wound, the referee allowed the fight to continue despite Sosa still being groggy from the injury. When the action resumed, Sosa was dropped and the referee waved it off moments later. Sosa, who required a metal plate to be implanted on his cheekbone due to multiple fractures, filed a protest with the WBC to have the decision changed to a "no contest".
Due to the controversial nature of his defeat the WBC have declared Sosa a "champion emeritus" and he is entitled to either a rematch with Mayol, or a fight with flyweight champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, once Sosa has recovered from his injuries. Sosa had discussed moving up in weight before his controversial loss.
Title last held byOmar Niño Romero
| WBC Light Flyweight Champion
April 14, 2007 – November 21, 2009
- List of current world boxing champions
- List of WBC world champions
- List of Mexican boxing world champions
- Boxing – Q&A: Edgar Sosa!. Fightnews.com (2009-04-29). Retrieved on 2011-10-18.
- seattlepi.nwsource.com, Sosa retains WBC light flyweight title[dead link]
- Edgar Sosa Will Protest TKO Loss To Rodel Mayol – Boxing News. Boxingscene.com. Retrieved on 2011-10-18.
- Pacquiao fighter Mayol stops Sosa, wins title – Sports – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News. Gmanews.tv. Retrieved on 2011-10-18.
- Boxing – Controversy over Mayol win. Fightnews.com (2009-11-22). Retrieved on 2011-10-18.
- Édgar Sosa recibe alta médica definitiva (Translation Edgar Sosa received final discharge. Translate.google.com) Retrieved on 2011-10-18.