|• Total||5.63 km2 (2.17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||750 m (2,460 ft)|
|• Density||190/km2 (500/sq mi)|
|Localities||Le Petit-Épendes, Sales|
|Surrounded by||Arconciel, Ferpicloz, Le Mouret, Marly, Senèdes, Villarsel-sur-Marly|
Épendes (Arpitan: Èpindè (help·info)) is a municipality in the district of Sarine in the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland. Its former German name was Spinz. In 1977, the former municipality of Sales merged into Épendes.
Épendes is first mentioned in 1142 as Spindes.
Épendes has an area, as of 2009[update], of 5.6 square kilometers (2.2 sq mi). Of this area, 3.72 km2 (1.44 sq mi) or 66.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 1.33 km2 (0.51 sq mi) or 23.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.58 km2 (0.22 sq mi) or 10.3% is settled (buildings or roads).
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 6.8% and transportation infrastructure made up 2.5%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 39.9% is used for growing crops and 25.5% is pastures.
The municipality is located in the Sarine district. It consists of the village of Épendes, the hamlet of Le Petit-Épendes, and, since 1977, the village of Sales.
Coat of arms
Épendes has a population (as of December 2017[update]) of 1,111. As of 2008[update], 8.5% of the population are resident foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (2000–2010) the population has changed at a rate of 3.4%. Migration accounted for -2.3%, while births and deaths accounted for 5.2%.
Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks French (907 or 87.7%) as their first language, German is the second most common (96 or 9.3%) and Portuguese is the third (5 or 0.5%). There are 4 people who speak Italian and 1 person who speaks Romansh.
As of 2008[update], the population was 50.6% male and 49.4% female. The population was made up of 491 Swiss men (46.6% of the population) and 42 (4.0%) non-Swiss men. There were 469 Swiss women (44.5%) and 51 (4.8%) non-Swiss women. Of the population in the municipality, 344 or about 33.3% were born in Épendes and lived there in 2000. There were 463 or 44.8% who were born in the same canton, while 114 or 11.0% were born somewhere else in Switzerland, and 99 or 9.6% were born outside of Switzerland.
As of 2000[update], there were 354 private households in the municipality, and an average of 2.9 persons per household. There were 61 households that consist of only one person and 41 households with five or more people. In 2000[update], a total of 342 apartments (94.5% of the total) were permanently occupied, while 13 apartments (3.6%) were seasonally occupied and 7 apartments (1.9%) were empty. As of 2009[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 6.6 new units per 1000 residents. The vacancy rate for the municipality, in 2010[update], was 0.75%.
The SPS improved their position in Épendes rising to first, from second in 2007 (with 25.6%) The CVP moved from first in 2007 (with 27.3%) to second in 2011, the SVP retained about the same popularity (20.7% in 2007) and the FDP retained about the same popularity (11.3% in 2007). A total of 370 votes were cast in this election, of which 5 or 1.4% were invalid.
As of 2010[update], Épendes had an unemployment rate of 1.5%. As of 2008[update], there were 46 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 18 businesses involved in this sector. 51 people were employed in the secondary sector and there were 8 businesses in this sector. 80 people were employed in the tertiary sector, with 27 businesses in this sector. There were 520 residents of the municipality who were employed in some capacity, of which females made up 42.1% of the workforce.
In 2008[update] the total number of full-time equivalent jobs was 142. The number of jobs in the primary sector was 35, of which 32 were in agriculture and 3 were in forestry or lumber production. The number of jobs in the secondary sector was 49 of which 44 or (89.8%) were in manufacturing and 5 (10.2%) were in construction. The number of jobs in the tertiary sector was 58. In the tertiary sector; 21 or 36.2% were in wholesale or retail sales or the repair of motor vehicles, 3 or 5.2% were in the movement and storage of goods, 2 or 3.4% were in a hotel or restaurant, 1 was in the information industry, 1 was the insurance or financial industry, 3 or 5.2% were technical professionals or scientists, 9 or 15.5% were in education and 7 or 12.1% were in health care.
In 2000[update], there were 66 workers who commuted into the municipality and 401 workers who commuted away. The municipality is a net exporter of workers, with about 6.1 workers leaving the municipality for every one entering. Of the working population, 9.2% used public transportation to get to work, and 72.9% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 868 or 83.9% were Roman Catholic, while 59 or 5.7% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 4 members of an Orthodox church (or about 0.39% of the population), and there were 18 individuals (or about 1.74% of the population) who belonged to another Christian church. There were 11 (or about 1.06% of the population) who were Islamic. 48 (or about 4.64% of the population) belonged to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 34 individuals (or about 3.29% of the population) did not answer the question.
In Épendes about 352 or (34.0%) of the population have completed non-mandatory upper secondary education, and 146 or (14.1%) have completed additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the 146 who completed tertiary schooling, 65.1% were Swiss men, 30.1% were Swiss women, 3.4% were non-Swiss men.
The Canton of Fribourg school system provides one year of non-obligatory Kindergarten, followed by six years of Primary school. This is followed by three years of obligatory lower Secondary school where the students are separated according to ability and aptitude. Following the lower Secondary students may attend a three or four year optional upper Secondary school. The upper Secondary school is divided into gymnasium (university preparatory) and vocational programs. After they finish the upper Secondary program, students may choose to attend a Tertiary school or continue their apprenticeship.
During the 2010-11 school year, there were a total of 153 students attending 7 classes in Épendes. A total of 274 students from the municipality attended any school, either in the municipality or outside of it. There were 2 kindergarten classes with a total of 43 students in the municipality. The municipality had 5 primary classes and 110 students. During the same year, there were no lower secondary classes in the municipality, but 67 students attended lower secondary school in a neighboring municipality. There were no upper Secondary classes or vocational classes, but there were 35 upper Secondary students and 43 upper Secondary vocational students who attended classes in another municipality. The municipality had no non-university Tertiary classes, but there were 3 non-university Tertiary students and 2 specialized Tertiary students who attended classes in another municipality.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Dictionnaire-Dikchenéro: Français-Patois/Patê-Franché. Société cantonale des patoisans fribourgeois. Fribourg: 2013. p. 166
- Nomenklaturen – Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 4 April 2011.
- Épendes in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 25 March 2010.
- Flags of the World.com accessed 1 December 2011.
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Superweb database - Gemeinde Statistics 1981-2008 ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 19 June 2010.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 1 December 2011.
- STAT-TAB Datenwürfel für Thema 40.3 - 2000 ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 2 February 2011.
- Canton of Fribourg Statistics ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 3 November 2011.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB - Datenwürfel für Thema 09.2 - Gebäude und Wohnungen ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 28 January 2011.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Bevölkerungsentwicklung nach Region, 1850-2000 ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 29 January 2011.
- Canton of Fribourg National Council Election of 23 October 2011 Statistics ‹See Tfd›(in German) ‹See Tfd›(in French) accessed 3 November 2011.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, Nationalratswahlen 2007: Stärke der Parteien und Wahlbeteiligung, nach Gemeinden/Bezirk/Canton ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 28 May 2010.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Betriebszählung: Arbeitsstätten nach Gemeinde und NOGA 2008 (Abschnitte), Sektoren 1-3 ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 28 January 2011.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Statweb ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 24 June 2010.
- Chart of the education system in Canton Fribourg ‹See Tfd›(in German).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Épendes, Fribourg.|