Érik Izraelewicz in 2009
|Born||6 February 1954|
|Died||27 November 2012 (aged 58)|
|Occupation||Journalist and author|
Érik Izraelewicz (6 February 1954 – 27 November 2012) was a French journalist and author, specialised in economics and finance. From February 2011 he was director and editorial executive of the daily Le Monde, after having held the same position at the financial daily newspapers Les Echos and La Tribune.
Life and career
Early life and education
Izraelewicz was born in Strasbourg, France, of Polish-Jewish parentage, and spent part of his early life in Haguenau, where his father worked as a physician. He attended the lycée Robert Schumann in Haguenau and lycée Kléber in Strasbourg. In 1976 he finished the École des hautes études commerciales (HEC) in Jouy-en-Josas. After that, he studied at the Centre de formation des journalistes (CFJ) for two years, and at the Sorbonne in Paris. He completed his studies in 1979 with a doctorat in international economics, with a thesis about "La Division internationale socialiste du travail à l′intérieur du bloc CAEM (Conseil d′assistance économique mutuelle)".
Izraelewicz started his career as a journalist specialising in economics and finance at the weekly L′Usine nouvelle, in 1981 he joined L′Expansion. In 1985 he co-founded the financial daily La Tribune de l′économie, later La Tribune. In April 1986 he started working at the economics desk of Le Monde, where he covered French finances, banks and insurances, and became its head in September 1989. From 1993 till 1994 he was Le Monde's correspondent in New York, in 1996 he became chief editor. He left Le Monde in January 2000 to become managing editor of the financial daily Les Echos, becoming its director in 2007. He left Les Echos in February 2008, after having opposed the newspaper being sold to the LVMH group headed by Bernard Arnault, and joined La Tribune as director, shortly after the newspaper was bought by businessman Alain Weill, who sold the unprofitable paper in May 2010. In July 2010 Izraelewicz left La Tribune, in January 2011 he applied for the position of director of Le Monde. On 7 February 2011 he was appointed director, on 10 February 2011 his appointment was confirmed by the journalists of the newspaper with 74%.
"I don't consider myself an economist. I am first and foremost a journalist, an economical journalist. I came to economics through journalism".
In a front-page article of Le Monde, Izraelewicz portrayed the flaws of the Olympic Games in Atlanta in July 1996 as a reflection of the negative aspects of American society, writing: "A megalomaniacal America. An America enslaved by technology. An America ruled by money", and he quoted a member of the International Olympic Committee as saying: "It is our fault. We should not have handed over the Olympic Games to private enterprises because their sole aim is to make money".
- Deux siècles de révolution industrielle. Un dossier de L′Expansion with Philippe Lefournier, Claude Barjonet, Jacques Fontaine, et al. (Hachette, 1983) ISBN 2-01-009740-8
- Paul Claudel, «La crise». Correspondance diplomatique, Amérique 1927-1932. Présentation par Erik Izraëlewicz (Métailié, 1993) ISBN 2-86424-160-9 Google books
- Ce Monde qui nous attend, les peurs françaises et l'économie (Grasset, 1997) ISBN 2-246-54101-8 Google books
- Le Capitalisme zinzin (Grasset, 1999) ISBN 2-246-58391-8 Google books
- Monsieur Ni-Ni, l′économie selon Jospin, with Christine Mital (Robert Laffont, 2002) ISBN 2-221-09360-7 Google books
- Quand la Chine change le monde (Grasset, 2005) ISBN 2-246-65821-7; (Le Livre de poche, 2005) ISBN 2-253-11487-1 Google books
- Ce que la crise a changé. 60 personnalités imaginent le monde de demain (Arnaud Franel, 2009) ISBN 978-2-89603-263-1 Google books
- L'Arrogance chinoise (Grasset, 2011) ISBN 978-2-246-78396-1 Google books
- France's New Capitalists. Foreign Policy, 1 November 2000
In 1999, Izraelewicz received the first Prix du livre d'économie for "Le Capitalisme zinzin", in 2005 he received the Prix Aujourd'hui for "Quand la Chine change le monde", and in 2011 "L'arrogance chinoise" was awarded the prix lycéen «Lire l'Économie».
- Ce que la crise a changé - 60 personnalités imaginent le monde de demain Book cover "Érik Izraelewicz"
- France, Agence. "Le Monde director Erik Izraelewicz dead at 58". InterAksyon.com. Archived from the original on 2012-11-30. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Erik Izraelewicz, premier conférencier". Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace (in French). 13 October 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Erik Izraelewicz, un journaliste spécialiste de l'économie à la tête du "Monde"". Le Monde (in French). 11 February 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Erik Izraelewicz". l'École de Paris du management. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- Erik Izraelewicz (2007). Assen Slim (ed.). Comment je suis devenu Économiste (in French). Le Cavalier Bleu. p. 157. ISBN 978-2-84670-180-8. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Izraelewicz prend la tête de La Tribune". Le Figaro (in French). 12 February 2008. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- Clemence Dunand (8 July 2010). "" La Tribune " : Erik Izraelewicz quitte la direction". Les Echos (in French). Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Presse - Erik Izraelewicz élu directeur du "Monde"". Le Point (in French). 10 February 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- Eric Pfanner - Érik Izraelewicz, Editor of Le Monde, Dies at 58 - New York Times, November 28, 2012
- Erik Izraelewicz (2007). Assen Slim (ed.). Comment je suis devenu Économiste (in French). Le Cavalier Bleu. p. 155. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
Je ne me considère pas comme un économiste... Je suis d'abord un journaliste, et plus particulièrement, un journaliste économique. Je suis venu à l′économie par le journalisme.
- Celestine Bohlen (26 July 1996). "Atlanta Day 7; To Foreign Press, Games Are an Olympian Blunder". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Le Capitalisme zinzin". Prix Littéraires. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Livres : le prix Aujourd'hui à Erik Izraelewicz". Les Echos (in French). 9 June 2005. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Remise du prix lycéen "Lire l′Économie" 2011 à Erik Izraelewicz" (in French). Ministère de l′éducation nationale, de la jeunesse et de la vie associative. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- Bio. Speakers Academy
- Érik Izraelewicz on IMDb
- Blog d′Erik Izraelewicz. La Tribune (in French).
- Erik Izraelewicz souhaite que «Le Monde» s'inspire du modèle du Huffington Post. Libération, 14 February 2011 (in French).
- Le nouveau "Monde", version Erik Izraelewicz. Organigramme et projet. Old fashion media, 4 April 2011 (in French).
- Erik Izraelewicz cumule direction du Monde et direction de la rédaction. L′Express, 4 April 2011 (in French).
- Erik Izraelewicz (Le Monde): le web, "le support qui explose". L′Express, 28 July 2011 (in French).