Êzîdxan Protection Force
|Protection Force of Ezidkhan|
Hêza Parastina Êzîdxanê (HPÊ)Participant in Iraqi Civil War (2014–2017)
Flag of the Êzîdxan Protection Force
|Part of||Sinjar Alliance (2015–17)|
Peshmerga (since 2017)
|Allies|| Sinjar Resistance Units (YBŞ)|
Êzidxan Women's Units (YJÊ)
|Battles and war(s)||Iraqi Civil War (2014–2017)|
The Protection Force of Êzîdxan or HPÊ (Kurdish: Hêza Parastina Êzîdxanê, Arabic: قوة حماية ايزيدخان), also translated as Ezidkhan Defense Units, Ezidkhan Protection Force, Protection Force of Ezidkhan, Êzîdxan Protection Force or Êzîdxan Defense Units, is a Yazidi militia founded by Haydar Shesho in the summer of 2014 in response to the genocide of Yazidis by ISIL. It is bigger than the other main Yazidi militia, the Sinjar Resistance Units. However, it is less active and armed than the Sinjar Resistance Units which has been fighting against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant since 2014.
The militia was known as the Protection Force of Sinjar or HPŞ (Kurdish: Hêza Parastina Şingal), also translated as Sinjar Defense Units or Sinjar Protection Force, until November 2015, when the militia changed its name to Hêza Parastina Êzîdxanê or HPÊ.
The HPŞ claim it is the only indigenous, independent force in the district while their members receive salaries from the Iraqi government. Other Yazidi militias are affiliated with various Kurdish parties. "We fight only for Yazidis, not for any party", claimed Haydar.
In October 2015, the HPŞ participated in the foundation of the Sinjar Alliance as an all-Yazidi joint commando umbrella structure with rival Sinjar Resistance Units (YBŞ), its all-women offshoot, the Êzidxan Women's Units (YJÊ) and other, independent Yazidi units committed to the united Yazidi front.
- Yazidi genocide
- List of armed groups in the Iraqi Civil War
- November 2015 Sinjar offensive
- List of Yazidi settlements
- IS-Terror in Shingal: Wer kämpft gegen wen? Ein Überblick, Ezidi Press. 12 October 2014
- With the Islamic State gone from Sinjar, Kurdish groups battle for control, Al-Monitor. 27 March 2016
- Baxtiyar Goran (9 March 2017). "Haider Shesho: Ezidkhan Units take orders from President Barzani, Peshmerga Ministry". Kurdistan24.
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: Die Angst der Yeziden im Sindschar-Gebirge, 30 August 2014
- Paraszczuk, Joanna (11 June 2015). "Yazidi militias fight IS in Iraq, amid Kurdish rivalries". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- ÊzîdîPress: HPŞ benennt sich in HPÊ um: Hêza Parastina Êzîdxan
- van den Toorn, Christine (10 May 2015). "The hero Yazidis hope will save them". Daily Beast. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- Kurdish government: Shesho arrested by official order. Ezidi Press. 6 April 2015.
- Breaking news: HPS Supreme Commander Haydar Sesho arrested. Ezidi Press. 6 April 2015.
- Top Yazidi commander Haydar Shesho arrested by Iraqi Kurdish authorities. Ekurd Daily. 6 April 2015.
- "Yezidi forces form alliance against IS". Êzîdî Press. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "Independent Yezidi units join Shingal alliance". Êzîdî Press. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "Shingal: KurdInnen starten mit vereinten Kräften Großoffensive gegen IS". Kurdische Nachrichten (in German). 12 November 2015. Retrieved 13 November 2015.