Île du Levant
Île du Levant (pronounced: [il dy ləvɑ̃]), sometimes referred to as Le Levant, is a French island in the Mediterranean off the coast of the Riviera, near Toulon. It is one of the four that constitute the Îles d'Hyères.
The island is 8 by 2 kilometres (5.0 by 1.2 mi), and located in the Gulf of Lion. About 90% of the island is reserved for a military missile test center (the Centre d'Essais de Lancement de Missiles) which has launched numerous research and testing rockets since its establishment in 1948. The remaining 10% is open to civilians.
Monks lived on the island beginning in the 15th century; the ruins of their monastery still exist on the island. From 1861 until 1878, the island was a penitentiary for young offenders and orphans, of whom 89 died here. A plaque (located on the military part of the island) commemorates them.
Heliopolis should not be a city or village, not an agglomeration of houses or luxury villas with garages, casinos, theaters, factories, business houses, but a simple rustic city where air and sunlight lovers come in the quiet of a beautiful nature, rest from the fatigue of artificial civilisation of cities, and enjoy simple and healthy holiday, with the only luxury of high ideals and the only concern for a more robust health.
The village was built on hillsides and is dominated by Fort Napoleon. The village has a small school, a city hall, a chapel and a police station. There is one food shop (Le Bazar d'Héliopolis) and a few speciality clothing shops, offering varieties of le minimum, the local dress code. There are a number of hotels and bed-and-breakfasts, and seven restaurants (Le Gecko, La Fourmi, La Palmeraie, La Gambaro, Héliotel, Le Minimum, La Pomme d'Adam), all catering for naturists.
The Bain de Diane and the Plage des Grottes (a nude beach) are reserved for naturists; nudity is formally obligatory there. Being nude is allowed (and expected) everywhere on the public area of the island, except in the immediate vicinity of the harbour and on the village square. On these locations, it is formally necessary to wear what the French jokingly call French: le minimum,[a] often a pareo or a string. In conformance with the relaxed atmosphere of the island, this rule is not really enforced, but generally well observed. In restaurants outside the village centre, some clothing is usually worn but toplessness (for women and men) is quite accepted there and le minimum considered sufficient attire. At least one restaurant, La Fourmi, actively encourages nude use.
The island sees a number of scuba divers; these generally do not partake in the nudist lifestyle.
The non-military part of the island is private property. The owners form the Association Syndicale Libre des Propriétaires à l'Île du Levant.
Outside Héliopolis naturist village, the other main tourist attraction is the Domaine des Arbousiers, a voluntary natural reserve of 19 hectares (47 acres), established on 3 December 1993.
- Le minimum is the term jokingly used by naturists on the island, for the tiny coverage required by regulations on a few locations. On the village square, near the harbour and inside shops and restaurants, the genitals have to be covered. As a good-humoured protest against this regulation, some naturists wear in these locations a tiny string, a transparant pareo or a loincloth that fulfils the legal requirement but does little to preserve modesty.
- "Heliopolis Naturist Resort History - Ile du Levant". iledulevant.com.fr. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- Arrêté Municipal Hyères N° 25, 14 March 1978 (http://www.aln.fr/html/documents/Arr%EAt%E9_1978_03_14_Mairie_Hy%E8res_Naturisme_au_Levant.pdf); modified 20 April 2005 (http://www.aln.fr/html/documents/Arr%EAt%E9_2005_04_28_modif-arr%EAt%E9-1978-naturisme-Levant.pdf). In August 2015, the Mayor of Hyeres has informed the French Naturist Association that simply traversing the Village Square and its surroundings nude will henceforth be tolerated. (http://www.ile-du-levant.net/blog-naturiste/traverser-nu-la-place-du-village.html).
- Bisserbe, Noemie (10 March 2016). "On French Island, Nudists Rebuff Clothing Rules". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- Décision du Préfecture du Var, 3 December 1993.
- Bauberot, Arnaud (2008). "De la nudité thérapeutique au nudisme, les naturistes français". Rives méditerranéennes (30): 101–116. doi:10.4000/rives.2403. ISSN 2103-4001.
- Villaret, Sylvain (2014). "Du projet utopique à la réalité: La création d'Héliopolis Première commune naturiste de France (1930-1939)". Histoire urbaine (in French) (41): 121–136. ISSN 1628-0482. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Île du Levant.|
- Ile du Levant official tourist informations
- Ile du Levant
- Ile du Levant Chronology and Launch Log
- Ile du Levant Naturist Web Site
- Ile du Levant Photo Gallery
- Map of the island in JPEG format, from the Hyères Office of Tourism