Ólafsfjörður in March 2013
Location of the Municipality of Fjallabyggð
|Population (January 2011)|
Location of the former Municipality of Ólafsfjarðarbaer
The town grew up around the herring industry that was in much bloom in the 1940s and 1950s, but the herring are gone now.
Ólafsfjörður was connected with a road for the first time in 1940, when the horse riding trail through Lágheiði was improved enabling cars to get over the heath. Before, ships, seaplanes, and horses provided the transport.
Tourism has become an important industry.
The town offers sports and activities for people of all ages. Here are some of the Towns' clubs:
- Golf (Golfklúbbur Ólafsfjarðar)
- Equestrian (Hestamannafélagið Gýnari, Ólafsfirði)
- Football/Soccer (Knattspyrnufélag Fjallabyggðar)
- Skiing (Skíðafélag Ólafsfjarðar)
- Shooting (Skotfélag Ólafsfjarðar)
- Snowmobile (Vélsleðafélag Ólafsfjarðar)
The Ólafsfjörður swimming pool is heated, as all other outdoor pools in Iceland, and is open all year round. There's also a yellow, spiraling water slide.
The Alpine facility in Tindaöxl is right above the town and is open in the winter when there's enough snow. A lift takes people up the slopes.
- Political division
- Mainly statistical division
Media related to Ólafsfjörður at Wikimedia Commons