Óscar Álvarez (footballer)
|Full name||Óscar Álvarez Sanjuán|
|Date of birth||9 June 1977|
|Place of birth||Barcelona, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2000–2001||→ Lleida (loan)||24||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Born in Barcelona, Catalonia, Álvarez finished his youth career with local FC Barcelona, going on to feature for its C and B-teams until the age of 22. He later signed with Real Oviedo in La Liga, making his competition debut on 16 October 1999 by coming in as a late substitute in a 2–2 away draw against Real Madrid.
After playing for UE Lleida and CD Tenerife in Segunda División, Álvarez joined fellow league side Gimnàstic de Tarragona in July 2005. In his first and only season he contributed with only 524 minutes in all competitions, but achieved promotion in the league.
Deemed suplus to requirements by Nàstic in the 2006 summer, and subsequently being left out of the first-team squad, Álvarez signed with Orihuela CF from Segunda División B in mid-January 2007. He returned to the second level nearly two years later with Girona FC but, after two seasons marked by injury, he moved back to division three by joining CE L'Hospitalet.
Álvarez's older brother, Quique, was also a footballer and a stopper, who represented mainly Villarreal CF. Their father Quique Costas occupied the same position, and played professionally for Celta de Vigo, Barcelona and the Spanish national team.
- El Oviedo aplaca la euforia blanca (Oviedo halts white euphoria); El Mundo, 16 October 1999 (in Spanish)
- Óscar Álvarez, presentado ayer por el Nástic (Óscar Álvarez, presented yesterday by Nàstic); El Día, 13 July 2005 (in Spanish)
- El Nàstic declara transferibles Nano, Diego Reyes, Óscar Álvarez, Morales i Jaio (Nàstic transferlists Nano, Diego Reyes, Óscar Álvarez, Morales and Jaio); 324, 11 July 2006 (in Catalan)
- El Orihuela ficha al central del Nàstic Óscar Álvarez (Orihuela signs Nàstic defender Óscar Álvarez); Diario Información, 17 January 2007 (in Spanish)
- Óscar Álvarez firma por una campaña (Óscar Álvarez signs for one campaign); La Voz Digital, 5 July 2008 (in Spanish)
- Óscar Álvarez estará seis meses de baja (Óscar Álvarez to miss six months); Marca, 3 February 2009 (in Spanish)
- Hospitalet: llega Óscar Álvarez. (Hospitalet: Óscar Álvarez arrives); esFutbol, 17 July 2010 (in Spanish)
- ""Quique" Álvarez Sanjuán" (in Spanish). Mitos Futbolísticos. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 5 February 2014.