Óscar Figueroa (weightlifter)
Oscar Figueroa with the silver medal won at the 2012 Olympics
|Full name||Oscar Albeiro Figueroa Mosquera|
|Born||April 27, 1983|
|Alma mater||University Santiago de Cali|
|Height||1.61 m (5 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||62 kg (137 lb)|
|Coached by||Jaiber Manjarres, Oswaldo Pinilla|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||318 kg|
Oscar Albeiro Figueroa Mosquera (born 27 April 1983) is a Colombian weightlifter, and Olympic Champion competing in the 62 kg category until 2018 and 67 kg starting in 2018 after the International Weightlifting Federation reorganized the categories.. He was born in Zaragoza, Antioquia.
In the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics, Figueroa failed to make a lift in the snatch category, he was unable to lift the bar from the floor in all three attempts. After the competition, it was discovered that he had a c6/7 cervical hernia which weakened his right hand. He left the Olympics without posting a result and had surgery to correct the hernia.
In his return to the Olympics after his injury, he placed 3rd after the snatch portion of the competition with a lift of 140 kg. After failing to make his first two lifts in the clean & jerk portion, he successfully completed an Olympic Record lift of 177 kg. This gave him a total of 317 kg, the bronze medalist Eko Yuli Irawan also had the same total, but Figueroa had a lighter body weight (61.76 kg vs 61.98 kg), this caused Figueroa to win the silver medal.
Earlier in 2016 Figueroa had surgery to repair his chronic back pain caused by a lumbar hernia, and returned to the Olympics hoping to win gold. On August 8, 2016, Figueroa finally won gold in the 62 kg division with a total of 318 kg. After attempting and failing to lift 179 kg to set a new Olympic Record, Figueroa took off his shoes and placed them on the platform, signaling his immediate retirement from the sport.
Figueroa participated in the men's -62 kg class at the 2006 World Weightlifting Championships and won the silver medal, finishing behind Qiu Le. He snatched 137 kg and jerked an additional 160 kg for a total of 297 kg, 11 kg behind winner Qiu.
He ranked 4th in the 62 kg category at the 2007 World Weightlifting Championships.
|Year||Venue||Weight||Snatch (kg)||Clean & Jerk (kg)||Total||Rank|
|2004||Athens, Greece||56 kg||120.0||125.0||5||145.0||150.0||155.0||5||280.0||5|
|2008||Beijing, China||62 kg||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012||London, Great Britain||62 kg||137||140||3||177||1||317|
|2016||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||62 kg||137||142||1||172||176||1||318|
|2006||Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic||62 kg||132||137||160||5||297|
|2007||Chiang Mai, Thailand||62 kg||135||6||160||8||295||4|
|2009||Goyang, South Korea||62 kg||135||139||4||165||168||5||307||4|
|2011||Paris, France||62 kg||135||138||6||170||4||308||4|
|2013||Wroclaw, Poland||62 kg||135||139||175||177||316|
|2014||Almaty, Kazakhstan||62 kg||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015||Houston, United States||62 kg||135||140||175||315|
|2018||Ashgabat, Turkmenistan||67 kg||140||8||178||318||5|
|Pan American Games|
|2011||Guadalajara, Mexico||62 kg||132||135||137||1||165||171||175||1||312|
|2015||Toronto, Canada||62 kg||130||135||2||170||175||—||1||310|
- PDF listing of 2018 Group A world championship entrants in 67 kg
- "OSCAR ALBEYRO FIGUEROA MOSQUERA" (PDF) (in Spanish). Comité Olímpico Colombiano.
- IWF.net. "Who will be dominant in Santo Domingo?". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- CaracolTV. "¿En qué andan por estos días los medallistas olímpicos Óscar Figueroa y Leidy Solís?". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "FIGUEROA Oa". International Weightlifting Federation.
- "China extended its perfect record". The Associated Press. 2008-08-11. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- Olympic Channel. "The Oscar Figueroa Story". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- BarBend. "Oscar Figueroa". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "62kg men results - Weightlifting - London 2012 Olympics". www.olympic.org. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Weightlifting at the 2012 London Summer Games: Men's Featherweight". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- Yahoo. "Colombian weightlifter Figueroa strikes Olympic gold, retires". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Weightlifting recap: Oscar Figueroa wins gold, retires". Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- 75th MEN'S and 18th WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS -62 KG MEN, iwf.net
- Athlete Biography FIGUEROA Oscar at beijing2008